Do we have to write in American English?

Too bad polling wasn’t enabled in this thread. :smack:

Blame the OP!!! :smack:

Bolding, as always, is mine.

But it seems to me that the particular bug in SoP’s bonnet was the use of the “c-bomb” in HP’s post. Is that or is that not cunt?

I see no mention of HP being “noted” for drunk posting. I’m not saying that’s not SoP’s overarching reason for the note, as obviously he was going off on one when other threads are taken into account, but I wasn’t actually reading the rest of the threads that HP posted to. His post in the particular thread doesn’t scan like a drunk person’s post. Thus, without clarification the apparent reason for being “noted” (not warned I know I know) is HP’s use of cunt.

Nicole’s enquiry scans to me like she’s asking about cunt AND other words. Unless you can think of what else she means by the sentence “Are there other words you’d prefer we not use, or is it just that one[cunt]?”

Thanks for trying again :slight_smile:

Civvie, and loving it.

Just sayin’ :smiley:

Yes, it is.

I think we’re talking past each other here; my point was just that you’re answering a question that wasn’t asked. There is no blanket prohibition on the use of any word outside of the Pit, or on the use of any word against a non-poster. None of the mods who responded to nicole1912 asserted there was such a rule, and Spectre of Pithecanthropus did not invoke a rule like that when he dealt with that post. If Happy Poster had said Cumbria was known for “assholes in tailvains,” or any other insult, I expect that would have been moderated, too. It’s not appropriate in a thread about a mass shooting. I know if someone had posted this in a thread about the Fort Hood shooting -

• or something along that line, that would have been moderated, too.

We expect people to use English when they post but there’s no requirement about American English. There might be some differences in terms of how serious an insult is, but it’s not much of a difference.

Sorry, next time I’ll do better :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll try to remember to avoid all swearwords, just in case…

You can do that if you want, but it’s not necessary.

Flabbergastingly, I agree with Mr. astikov. I now fully expect the apocalypse to unfurl any second.

Boom! (Where’s the nuclear cloud smilie when you need it?)

Surely the pronouncer’s intention is relevant? If it’s meant offensively, but received ‘affectionately’ it’s the pronouncer’s loss.

Cunt is used.

Context is everything.

A friend does something silly: “You stupid cunt” This won’t cause any offense whatsoever

You drop something. “Cunt slipped right out of my hand”

In an argument. " You stupid cunt" May cause light to very strong offense.

As was shown earlier in the thread. It’s not against the rules and I think mods should back away from the keyboards themselves and just worry about the rules and not trying to push their own level of offense on all of us.

Dependent on the sensitivity of the hearer. Even if someone says it with utter venom, it can be disarmed with a simple “Charming. Nice to meet you, too.”

Er, sorry about that.

I won’t make any contribution as to the “cunt” issue, given the circumstances, but to explain to jjimm and curious others what a tailvan, or talivan as I like to call them (hehe) is - they’re vans fitted with mobile speed cameras.

Specifically referring to Cumbrian Safety Camera Partnership here.

And of course, in reality, Cumbria is not famous in the UK for the M6. No idea what I was coming from there. Heck, the M6 isn’t famous for Cumbria, either.

Cumbria’s speed cameras are nothing compared to what awaits you after crossing the border: Dumfries and Galloway Safety Camera Partnership.

Oh, I entirely agree.

Although there is a road right along the M74 most of the way that you can use instead, brilliant sightlines, perfect road surface, only very occasional villiage. Used to take the traffic before the M74 was completed.

Edit: Plus of course with a D&G form, just return the S172 unsigned, as it can’t be used in evidence in Scotland in that form (it can in England)

Eh no it was not a fine job it was a very bad job IMO.

You talk about calming down drunk posters and being offensive in sensitive threads but let’s look at the mod note again.

That just basically says, don’t use the word cunt here. No context about the type of thread no mention of anything other than the use of the word cunt. It looks to be the the mod just didn’t like the word being used and said so. If there were other reasons the mod certainly didn’t share them with us.

The way Happy Poster and the context he uses “cunt” BTW would not have offended anybody from the UK who was reading that thread and I don’t see why being drunk or not would have made any difference to the way the word was used. It seems perfectly ok to use it the way it was.

The mod just didn’t like cunt being used. What would have happened if Happy Poster had of came back and said something about how “cunt” wasn’t against the rules of the board and he was having a cunt of a time working out what the mod was on about? Would he have got a warning for not following mod directions? Even though no rule was broken? Sound like something that happened recently.

There’s no rule against it and unless the incident looks like it causing problems (which this wasn’t) mods should back off and just worry about actual rules.

You’re right, no other comments were given, so it was not clear if he was moderating just the use of that word or the tone of the post in general. Which I guess is why we’re talking about it here. So to that end I’m trying to explain why the situation was moderated, and I can tell you what the mods were talking about leading up to that note. The concern was that he was posting drunk to the point where it was becoming a problem. You can see some of his other posts were not very coherent. The post Spectre of Pithecanthropus handled was coherent but not right for that thread, so Happy Poster was told he needed to cool it.

I don’t see where he was causing or even potentially causing a problem. Also if it was just a cool it post why put the highlight and focus of the mod note on “cunt”. Particulary since only a few months ago there was a very similar instance of a mod coming in a telling a poster not to use “cunt” and Ed when making a call said

The mod note in question and the whole reason for this thread seems like exactly the same mistake. A different mod note would have been more useful to people trying to stay on the right side of the rules.

What happens and is said in the background is of no consequence as far as readers of the thread are concerned. What was said in the thread was a mistake and leads people to be confused about what the actual rules are as is clear from the very existence of this thread.

I apologize for not checking in with this sooner, seeing as it was my moderation decision that inspired the thread. My take on the question, and the starting point of my original note to Happy Poster was this: No, you don’t have to post in any specifically American or even North American version of the English Language. The reason for the English-only rule is simply that English is our single common language, not only among the staff/moderators but among the members as well. If you use British spellings or say you had to “collect” rather than “pick up” somebody at the airport, where they’d just arrived in an aeroplane, it’s not a problem because everyone still gets it. But when the usage of the same word has significantly different slants in different dialects, then there may be an issue.

As for using the C-bomb or other forbidden words, I don’t personally take deep offense at ribald language or jokes, but “c**t” goes beyond just a “dirty, funny” word to having strongly mysogynist connotations in AmE, which take it into the realm of ethnic slurs and group insults. My decision to add a moderation note to the thread was based on this, and that the readership and membership of the board are primarily American, and that the impact of anyone using the word would be best evaluated in that light. In short, I took into consideration not only the presumably innocuous intent of Happy Poster, but also the presumed offense that many might take on reading the word.

It’s not a forbidden word. Using it in the way it was used in that thread is perfectly ok as per the rules of this board. Your boss said another mod was wrong when they did it. Why is it different for you?

So are you now saying that you will add a note to every thread someone uses “cunt” in? What happens when someone questions the mod note and cites Ed’s post about similar mod notes being mistakes?

If you were just posting as a regular poster and said you don’t like the word and requested that it shouldn’t be used that would be one thing but you had no place in there as a mod.

Not in the slightest.