Do we have to write in American English?

French? Scot? :smiley:

Also, us ‘Merkins’ need to watch our use of the term “toss off” :smiley:

Just had to add that! :D:D:D

Did anyone ever explain that bigoted people from other areas of our country used the same word just as offensively? Were you aware in your youth that other Southerners, including white people, took just as much offense as you did? If you ever find that you are hearing that word too often, hang out with more progressive and liberal-minded thinkers. We are easy to find in every Southern state.

Cunt directed against off-board persons is not against the rules

Wanna quote?

Whose name is on that post? That’s right, Ed Zotti! Ed himself has said that the word “cunt” being directed at off-board persons is not against the rules. That was within the last 8 weeks.

Has there been another rule change? Could we have a link to the new rules? That’d be swell, thanks :slight_smile:

As I’ve always said when this sort of thread regularly comes up: if cunt isn’t meant offensively - or is even used ‘affectionately’ - what terms are used when offense is meant?

On the Brit issue: I’ve never even conceived that it could be meant offensively (I’ve lived and learned). It’s just a term that johnny-foreigner uses. I’ve never heard it used in Britain by a Briton.

Sodding English? :smiley:

I’m sorry, but awesomeness of quoting Dr. Fever aside (it’s nice to have a WKRP reference that doesn’t mentin turkeys), I just cunt agree with the sentiment. In fact, now you have me channeling John Valby and singing…

Nothing could be fina’ than the taste of a vagina in the moooorrrrrrnnnniiinngg!

To be honest, when I was a kid the term seemed to be nearly universal in the South (even in the North East you’d hear it, but not as frequently). It wasn’t something that was commonly in use where I came from (there not being a lot of black people in Arizona or Northern Mexico when I was a kid), so it stood out in my mind…especially since, conservative that my dad was, he was death on any sort of racial or ethnic slur. And man could he swing a belt or switch! Youch!

-XT

I heard it used way more frequently in Philly than in Tennessee or North Carolina.

Yes, we know. You’re disputing a point nobody made. Happy Poster was not warned. He was given a note because his comments were not appropriate for the thread and the forum he was posting in. He was also posting while very drunk (see also here), which we try to discourage. So the mods needed to say something to cool him down a little bit, and Spectre of Pithecanthropus did a fine job of that.

Brits out!!

I believe it goes:
nothing could be fina than to be in your vagina…

But I could be wrong…

Regarding the whole “Brit” sidetrack, what is the appropriate noun for someone from England? “Englishman” (aside from being gender-specific) is too darned long. I have been informed by a couple of limey friends that it’s fine for me to call them limeys, but I should never use the term with someone I don’t know. I don’t think I’ve heard pom or pommy since the 1970s. Brit, even if it hadn’t bothered villa in this thread, isn’t England-specific (it includes the Welsh, Scots, and Northern Irish).

So what do we call you chaps?

Hmmmm… maybe I’m mixing it up with a pancake syrup commercial?

You don’t need different words. Tone of voice, facial expression, body language, and context - as in who it’s said by, where and when it’s said, and what other words go with it - will tell you whether it’s meant to be offensive or not. Many words are like this. “Hey baby, you look hot today.” “When is your *baby *due?” “Stop being such a baby.” But how can you possible tell which is meant as an insult? It’s all the same word!

Rather than continue the sidetrack here, I’ve started a new thread over in MPSIMS.

Except, yanno, the OP of the thread.

Seems to me like they were concerned about HP being moderated for using cunt. And I pointed out Mr Ed Zotti’s very own post that details where it’s absoluuuuutely fine to use it against off-board persons.

But thanks for playing :slight_smile:

I’m not seeing that, actually. The OP does not say there is a universal rule against using the word. In fact she doesn’t ask about “cunt” at all; she asks about other words. She and you are correct there’s no such rule regarding “cunt” or any other word. No such rule was cited in the moderating of that post, either.

Mmmmm yummy… Pancake? Vagina? What? We have to make a CHOICE? I choose vagina!