Do We Really Need A Sign?

Ha, I have thought the same thing about those signs.

Another sign situation that strikes me as funny is related to highway work sites. Some states use those “Slow down - give’em a brake” signs to remind people about the safety of the workers. Obviously, I am all for constructions workers being safe, and I get that the “clever” part is the play on brake/break.

But I was driving through one state (maybe West Virginia?) where the signs said “give’em a CHANCE.” To me, this sounds like instead of just hitting the workers, you should be SPORTING about it and let them have a ten second head start before you try running them down. After all, you are in a car, so there should be some handicapping involved.

It also makes me think that someone in the Dept of Transportation went to a conference and saw the “give’em a brake” signs, and then came back and said something like “oh, I saw these new safety signs, they’re cute, they say ‘give’em a …’ hmmm now I can’t remember, maybe ‘a chance’? Anyway, let’s make some signs like that too.”

I didn’t even know they made them that big.

Especially if it said because you can’t afford it.

A lot of bathrooms in Asia just have a shower head and a drain on the floor. Having a tub is sort of a new thing.

Flush toilets can also be baffling if you’re not accustomed them to them. I remember when they added toilets to the trains in Viet Nam. I saw one woman trying to climb up onto the seat to squat there. The next time, the trains had signs showing how to sit on a toilet.

:slight_smile: San Diego has those. The majority of intersections have left turn arrows, so the few that don’t have to remind people how driving normally works. Even so, some knuckleheads start turning left as soon as they see green.

Many years ago when I drove through Texas, there were signs advising, “Drive friendly.” Do they still have those?

Well, to be fair, a lot of people think that “Cars must stop for pedestrians in crosswalk” is a law of physics rather than a civil law. So they’ll fling themselves into the crosswalk without looking, even if you’re six inches away and moving at 30mph as if some SciFi forcefield was going to protect them from their folly.

I don’t read that “afford” as being simply a financial concern. (ETA: Unless you’re making a funny there. I may be slightly whooshed.)

Some years ago I worked in an office building that was going to be sprayed for bugs over the weekend. A sign posted in the lobby warned workers not to come in during that time as “The building will be eradicated.” :eek:

Oh yeah? WHAT has an alcohol limit of .08%? I’m sure my car is made of less than .08% alcohol. OTOH, it I made a run to the liquor store for a big party and filled the trunk, it might be more than .08% of the vehicle weight.

“Left turning vehicles use left lane.” Well, no shit Sherlock.

Yep, still do and every so often, at an intersection, I’ll nudge the car ahead with my bumper. Just as, you know, a friendly gesture. They never seem to take it the right way, however.

Sign above each urinal in the Gwinnett Braves stadium (Atlanta Braves AAA affiliate), in English and Spanish:

Reclaimed water. Do not drink.

Here it is.. And yeah, I was kidding around.:smiley:

Oh I knew you were kidding, I was kidding if it was for you personally, it might be a bit of a challenge. My playing with the italics was maybe a little too subtle and/or not that clever. :o

It’s the vehicular equivalent of a good sock in the arm. Besides, that’s why they call them bumpers–they’re for bumping into things.

Damn, whooshed again. Missed the italics.:smiley:

Well, there are some intersections in Melbourne (Australia) where you may only turn right from the left lane. See: Hook turn. Confusing as Hell for visitors.

Kinda similarly, I’ve seen Jughandle turns in NJ and PA, where all turns (even left turns) are from the right lane via a “jughandle”. Works great, except for the confused motorist who has never seen this before and is confused.

How about all the “Stay Right” or “Do Not Pass” signs at the tops of hills or blind curves? Isn’t this kinda obvious? The yellow stripe is something of a giveaway, isn’t it?

How dumb do you need to be to think “hum, don’t know if anything’s coming, and can’t see more than 50 yards - I know! I’ll switch into the on-coming traffic lane!”.

Ditch the signs and let Darwin take out the morons.

Pedestrians in crosswalks:

It is 8 lanes, and the person is going to be in one of those for longer than 2 full cycles of the lights.

I give them a lane for a buffer.

A attended a college which was bisected by a 4-lane (1960’s) state highway with no traffic controls anywhere on the campus - you darted out to the center line when the nearest 2 lanes had a break, then darted across the second 2 when there was a gap.

Sometime, I’ll need to do a google map and run down that stretch and see if they have started to coddled the babies…

Maybe it refers to ethanol content of the fuel? :wink: