Do you carry your cell phone everywhere?

…texting… sure, you keep telling yourself that. :wink:

My cell phone is always on me when I leave the house. I don’t care about being reachable 90% of the time, but I am paranoid, and I do like having access to a phone in case of an emergency.

When I’m at home, I don’t pay much attention to it, and I don’t keep it near me at night.

Always. It’s my timepiece, so I have it on me for that reason. That said, I often don’t answer if I’m busy or don’t want to talk, so I’m often away from it in that sense.

Interesting. The different uses. When I take the dogs for a walk, I always try to carry it. While our coverage is spotty, at least I would probably be able to call for help if I break a leg or something.

When I’m outside of the house working on something. Same thing. Or when my Wife is training (riding her bike or running in the woods). It’s for emergencies. On the other hand, it bugs my Wife when a certain friend will be out for a walk and start talking on the phone. Pretty rude in OHO.

The last time I used it was last weekend when we had about 30 people over and I was in charge of cooking the burgers. The count down alarm alowed me to still visit, but not forget to keep up on grill duties. I didn’t need to hover over the grill.

Don’t wear a watch anymore, unless on a trip. Don’t need a calander either. It also is my internet access for my net book when away from home. Or if I just need to look something up. Or if I want a picture of something to remember - Instant wiring diagram to rehook up the TV and all it’s peripherals. Very handy. Doubles as a flashlight too.

GPS, music, and books. All in all, I find a LOT of uses for it. The least use is for a phone though.

I take it with me when I leave the house, and it always sits at one of two places inside. Not that I ever use it, but it’s there to help prevent emergency situations from escalating.

This is pretty much my answer too. Mine stays in my purse and it’s off 99% of the time. Almost all my calls are out-going, so it’s not like I expect someone’s call that will need answering.

I picked “other” because, like a bunch of people in the thread, I always have it with me (handy side pocket of my bag), but I rarely turn it on.

My phone is always on, except when I drop it and it turns itself off, and always set to vibrate except in theaters/other performance areas (off) or when I need it for an alarm clock (loud as possible). It’s nearly always with me. When I lived in the dorms, I left it in my room when I went to take a shower unless I was waiting for a call or important text.

Now I have my phone with me everywhere except when I’m really avoiding my mother or when I forget it in my boyfriend’s bedroom after changing out of going-out clothes into lounging-around clothes. If I’m wearing something with pockets (nearly always), it’s in my right front pocket. Otherwise, in a bag close to me so I can hear it vibrate.

Today, cell phones are used for surveillance. I am required to carry it with me 24 hours a day, and to answer it no matter what I’m doing. I make about 3 calls a month, and most of those are to the same person. I call it an “electronic leash.”

We have one in the car and one in the motorcycle. For us its basically for emergency use and strategic planning.

Other. I carry it with me ALMOST all the time, and turned off ALMOST all the time I carry it, because I bought it for emergencies, e.g., if I need roadside assistance. Rarely I have it on if I’ve given someone special instructions to call me on it (my land line with my answering machine is my normal point of contact).

It’s always with me. That’s its purpose. No one in my group of friends even has a home phone. Everyone just has their own personal cell phones.

I keep one in my car, so I don’t ever bring it into the house or bring it into work, but if I’m ever out otherwise (doing errands, etc.), I have it on me just in case my wife needs to contact me.

Always with me, always on; on my nightstand at night, in my pocket at all other times. My landline forwards to it, as the call screening is much better on the cell phone, and I can also use it to check email and send messages. As I’m job-hunting right now, I never, ever, EVER want to be out of reach, and even when I’m working I like to be reachable. If there’s some reason I don’t want it ringing, I can just turn the ringer off.

I refused to get a cell phone until a couple of years ago. Since then… yeah, I’ve softened a bit.

It’s a phone. It’s an arcade. It’s a pocket watch. It’s a GPS device. It’s a radio, weather radio, and television. It’s a library. It’s a camera. It’s a newspaper stand that is updated continuously. It’s a calculator. It’s a computer. It’s a remote control. It allows me to do quick research. It allows me to be introverted, yet access social networks to stay in a minimum of contact. It’s a notepad. I can set reminders for myself to buy cat food, use it as a cooking timer or alarm clock, figure out what the cool song is that I’m hearing at a club, figure out directions in an unfamiliar city, watch movies while I’m waiting in line, listen to my music collection, listen to new music tailored to my tastes, do price comparisons when shopping. I can text a friend in a busy place if we can’t hear each other (or even see each other), check my e-mail, and even get those rare but important phone calls.

Why wouldn’t I carry such a versatile thing around everywhere? Why wouldn’t I want the Internet in my pocket, especially if it included lots of other features? The telephony aspect is really a minor part of why I take it everywhere. Maybe four phone calls a month. I routinely turn off my phone to avoid being bothered, and don’t often respond to texts in real time. It’s not the tether that early cell phones were. My phone is a pocket computer that just happens to include a phone as a peripheral.

I got rid of my landline years ago, so the cell phone is the only phone I have.

It’s always on, and usually with me. I don’t generally take it with me if I’m going out for a run or whatever (unless I’m using the stopwatch function or something). I don’t feel obligated to answer every, or any particular, call; I have a phone for my convenience, not anyone else’s. So if I don’t recognize the number, I push the “shut up” button and let it go to voicemail. Same if it’s work-related after hours or when I’m busy with another project. If it’s not a good time for me to talk, I won’t answer. If I’m someplace where the ringer would be disruptive, I turn it to vibrate (although not off, usually).

At the same time, I hear from friends/family/people I want to hear from rarely enough, that I like having the option to answer whenever they might call, so I can talk to them. I won’t pick up a call from my mom in the middle of a meeting, but if I’m just out and about and my old friend from college calls, yeah, I want to pick that up.

When I’m at home, the phone is on, but usually resides on my desk or the end table in the living room, it’s not on me every second.

Yes. I even take it to the local shop, 5 second’s walk away, because of the number of times I’ve locked myself out. I do take it to bed but that’s because it’s my alarm clock.

If I do leave it elsewhere, I’m guaranteed to have a missed call, even if it’s just for a few minutes.

No I am not. I don’t have a contract for my TracFone, I just add a bunch of minutes every year. I pay no flat fee and refuse to do so.

Yes. I even take it to the local shop, 5 second’s walk away, because of the number of times I’ve locked myself out. I do take it to bed but that’s because it’s my alarm clock.

If I do leave it elsewhere, I’m guaranteed to have a missed call, even if it’s just for a few minutes.

I have no land line and use my cellphone for both business and personal concerns, so I have it on and with me 24/7.