Do you feel disoriented on treadmills?

I usually read at the gym, because exercising is boring. Riding a real bicycle outside is fun, riding a stationary bicycle in a cold, sterile gym, not so much. I only go to the gym these days because I’m not hard core enough to ride a bicycle 10 miles through a Midwestern winter. There are people, no bullshit, who I see running and bicycling in the dead of January, when it’s 10F below, with balaclavas on. They are not messing around. Enough about that. So reading on the stairmaster or on the elliptical are easy peasy. They make the time go by, and I don’t even realize how long I’ve been on until the machine starts beeping to let me know my time is up.

This does not happen on treadmills at all. Forget reading, it’s simply impossible. Forget watching TV, forget being nosy and seeing how many mph the person next to me is running, forget doing anything but staring directly ahead and concentrating on my motions. I get completely discombobulated if I don’t concentrate. You?

Edit: This does not happen when I’m running outside. Only on treadmills.

Disoriented, discombobulated, not sure what the right word is. But it is a different running experience. Not as bad as years before when I’d feel like I had wobbly, “seasick” legs when I got off after a run, but it still feels a little goofy.

I’m pretty big (6’ 2" or so, over 200 lbs) and I always feel like I have no margin for error and it’s simply a matter of time before I have a horrible treadmill accident. I, too, feel like I have to concentrate on my treadmill runs, often having those “whoa!” moments where I wobble to the side to much and almost step off the tread–as opposed to running outside where I can daydream.

Much, much prefer running outside.

On a treadmill, no. When I get off a treadmill, that’s another story. (Short answer: no, I don’t fly)

Huh. I feel fine once I’m off. Being on the treadmill, for me, requires way more concentration than running should. (sigh) I can’t wait for warmth to make its triumphant return. See you in June, warmth.

I can’t do treadmills period. You have to keep up at a certain rhythm, and while I don’t have a problem keeping a steady pace on a track, I haven’t been able to stay on a treadmill for more than a minute. So, not only do I have to concentrate on the task at hand, I can’t really do it even then.

I don’t, but my mom tried it and she does.

I can’t really read when I’m on the treadmill but I can’t run normally and read because everything’s moving! I haven’t tried walking and reading, though. I’ve watched TV on the treadmill before when I was at a gym where they all had their own sets and I didn’t have an mp3 player. I prefer to listen to music because it’s just more fun, but I have watched TV. I don’t anymore because there’s only one and it’s not hooked up to a machine so it’s a bit hard to hear when I’m running.

As long as I’m looking forward, I’m fine. I have no problem watching TV on those little built-in sets that are part of the treadmill.

Before my gym bought those they had a handful of big TVs hanging from the ceiling. I remember craning my neck to see some exciting play on a football game once and then suddenly being unceremoniously tossed off the end of the treadmill.

A couple of months ago I started going to the local Y, where they have an indoor running track. I haven’t ran a mile on the treadmill since :slight_smile:

The treadmill is my favorite. I usually walk at about a 4.2 pace and can go forever. The elliptical is what messes me up, I don’t seem to be coordinated enough for it.

I think I would have to - I don’t know where any are.

I can’t read on a treadmill, I’m not sure how that would be possible.

But tv and music (the tvs next to me) are fine. I have run into trouble laughing on a treadmill. Certain sitcoms and movies are not treadmill friendly.

I don’t need a treadmill to feel disoriented.

Seriously, a pint of Bushmill’s will do just fine.

Every time I get on a treadmill, I can’t seem to get my bearings straight. I’ve decided to just forget it. Running should not take that much effort. It’s running; toddlers do it. When the sun comes back out, if ever, I’ll run outside. Until then, stairmaster, I’m your bitch.

Yes, I get a little disoriented, and I only walk at a fast pace! I see one dedicated guy at the gym. He’s as skinny as a stick, and he runs at full speed on the treadmill. However, he runs with his arms clinging to the front “dashboard” like he’s holding on for dear life! I can just bet he must get disoriented, too.

I used to be that way until I tried the one where you can set the incline. I set it as flat as it will get.

I barely do. But it’s a large enough difference that I usually just use track, elipticals, or even an old fashioned exercise bike.

I wobble a lot, unless I’m holding on. The ellipticals will let me go for a minute or two before spitting me off.

Ja, I do too. I still do it (or rather, I used to still do it; haven’t worked out in ages and need to get back on that horse), but it’s always a bit hard. Harder than running outside, for certain.

I get dizzy, which is weird because I have no problem on the other machines. But I don’t “do” treadmills due to the dizziness; on real floor I can “go for a walk”, look at the watch when I’m starting to get tired and it’s been three hours, on a treadmill - just no. It’s like my sense of equilibrium feels the softer-than-usual-but-not-sandy floor and goes into “halp!11!” mode; I’ve noticed a similar problem when walking on a too-soft recycled-rubber floor, of the kind that’s become popular for children’s playing areas, or on too-soft linoleum.

I go to the gym almost every weekday for 2 hours. Usually it’s cardio on the treadmill, elliptical, or bike.

I can’t run on a treadmill because I tend to run improperly and flail about and that takes extra room. Usually I keep the speed at 3.5-4. I do watch televison if there is a UFC game on, or if there is something interesting on the history channel.

A lot of the time I do take a book with me and read it without much difficulty. It’s a little harder to read, depending on the subject matter (for instance it’s not easy jogging and focusing on physics but it’s significantly easier to read biology), but otherwise, my slow, rereading isn’t because I’m disoriented or dizzy.

Yes! Walking outside, I can walk quickly and let my arms be free. On a treadmill, I’m still hanging on for dear life. I am so afraid I am going to take a misstep and fall on the floor.