[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
What I’ve learned from this thread is that, when you ask someone
“Can you keep this this confidential?” you need to spell out what “confidential” means to you: i.e., that it will kept to oneself, not to oneself plus spouse.
Now, my question is, to those who share things with SOs, what do you do if the asker spells out “NOT to your SO, not to anyone, understood?” Do you lie, and say OK and tell the SO anyway? Do you say “I can’t do that, so don’t tell me”? Or can you do it, exactly as requested?
[/QUOTE]
As I said, I say, “I’m sorry, I’m not comfortable with that, so please don’t tell me. Would you like the number of a marriage counselor/therapist/minister/police officer/children’s protective services instead?”
I’ll help them find resources to deal with whatever it is, and if they take my help, I will not tell my husband. “Gee, Mary wanted to tell me something important but I wouldn’t let her and she asked me for the name of a good marriage counselor instead!” would be a little too obvious in my book. That would be at the level of gossip - speculation without details from the horse’s mouth - which, while I love it, I’m trying to trim out of my life. That would remain confidential, even from my husband.
And, to clarify, it’s not like I feel obligated to go reporting everything I hear to my husband, just that I want that freedom to be *able *to tell him whatever I want. He may never know, but then again I may decide to tell him. But I want what I tell him to be my decision, because it affects my relationship with him.
The ass-backwards, “Blah, blah, blah - and don’t tell anyone!” I loathe. I will generally say, “Sorry, but I didn’t agree to that. I won’t tell anyone but my husband, but I may share it with him. Next time ask first, OK?” Not only does it clarify for people the kind of communication I prefer, but it does teach some people to be more careful before they blab a confidence, which I think is a good thing.