Do you still know people...

My brothers had a friend in college they all called Roach. This was back in the 70’s… it may have been a marijuana reference.

I knew a Fingers, a Tiny, a Tiger and a Tarzan. They were in Hell’s Angels, back in the '60s. Tiny came damn close to shooting me in the head.

Sounds like a litter of kittens!

Nope. Never did.

I know a Toots, Moose, Bubba, Monkey, Buzz, Rocky, and some others I’m forgetting. Also knew a guy named Rich, but he wanted his friends to call him Wealthy.

My father-in-law played football for Penn State. He’s in his 70s now, but some of his friends still call him Moose.

grew up with a Moose a Sharkey, a Cookie and Ricketts

Heh, in junior high there was a kid we all called “nickle-bag”. I was at his house once and his mom asked me why everyone called her Jeffrey nickel-bag. I feigned an inability to understand the question.

I went to school with two different Chips. Here’s one of them - his real name is Charles (the other Chip was an Edwin).

My Uncle went by Rip, although his real name was Walter.

And **Storm **(of “Paul and Storm”) DiCostanzo’s real name is Greg.

In all four cases this was the name they commonly used in all contexts (and still is with Chip Kidd and Storm - dunno about the other Chip and my uncle is deceased).

In the Peanuts strip, Charlie Brown once told Lucy he wished he was so good at things that he would get the nickname ‘Flash’. She thought this was hilarious and ran off to tell everyone that that loser Charlie Brown thought he could be called ‘Flash’.

In high school, there were teachers we surreptitiously called Wiggy, Maggot, and Stinklenickel, all plays on their surnames.

In college, there was a guy who went by the name of Kip in my Latin class. Gay as Christmas!

Telling a new acquaintance they had the same name as your dog would be a faux pas in many circles.:wink:

We named our dog Kali after the owner of a beach bar. He was flattered.

In college, I had a professor whose wife was named Biff. I have no idea whether that was her real name or a nickname, but she was a published poet, and Biff was the name she used on her books.

In boot camp I was called Stretch. In school it was something more insulting.

No one with the OP’s names, but I knew a Muffy in college. She had been homeschooled. Her real name was Leann, but that felt too girly to her as a kid.

I haven’t talked to her in a long time, but I did notice in a mutual friends’ Facebook that she now wears makeup and her Facebook page has her real first name. So she may go by Leann except to her old friends.

I also knew a P.J., who decided to go by Tim once he came out.

I know a “Sharky” - you don’t want to gamble with Sharky. 8)

I know of one Fingers. He was a Hells Angel who had cut off one finger, then cut off another one, I have no idea how. I heard of him via another HA who claimed he cut off his fingers himself. On purpose? Who knows. Seems a bit careless. Note that I said I know OF him. The Angel who told me this was trying to write a book. He had lots of stories. He was called Tarzan.

The people I used to know who had nicknames had different ones, like Weird Harold, Ghost-boy, Sunshine, and Hobbit. I’m fairly sure this dates me.

ETA:Oh wow, I see Panache knew Fingers AND Tarzan. I’ll bet they were the same guys. Or else they’re recycling the names.

I know a Moose.

I used to know a guy called Fingers. He was a jazz pianist. And good at it.