Doctor Who 2024 (Starting May 11 on Disney+ and BBC One)

I looked around for a free trial offer for Disney+ but there doesn’t seem to be one.

IGN liked the first two episodes.

I hope it’s great. It hasn’t been great for quite a few years.

It is being partially consumed by Disney. Being called “season one”. Has a “zippier pace”. It does seem to be going for a soft reboot for a new audience. So I think we may be heading for this:

Episodes 2 and 3 were available for me today (May 10, I checked at 7 PM local [CDT] time)
(or 1 and 2 if you don’t count the Christmas special)
I watched “Space Babies” – it was fine.

Brian

I hated Space Babies. The Devil’s Chord was better but not perfect.

Was anyone able to read what was on the TARDIS screen at the end other than Scanning Ruby’s DNA?

It looks like it’s UHD 4K for all episodes this season, not just the specials as it’s been the last couple of years. It looks amazing!

So, is it really accessible to people who’ve never watched Doctor Who (but are aware of things like the Tardis, he’s a time traveler, etc)?

Space Babies takes pains to spell out things as The Doctor explains to new viewers by way of explaining to Ruby.

I have not seen next ep yet. Hopefully it gets better.

Didn’t even try to see what it said until you asked. It started off saying “genetic id scan”, “species scan”, and “age scan”, and then filled in with this:

She’s 10 years old?

(Eta: watching the text closely in motion, I suppose that is a blurry 9 for 19, so not a twist at the end.)

I mean, I suppose there are first-time viewers who would see space babies, snot monsters, and fart thrusters and think “This is something I want more of!”, but I wouldn’t be one of them. I saw the first part of that episode in preview, and I wanted a whole episode of unraveling the consequences of the butterfly stomp. That hypothetical episode would have more mavity.

In the first episode Ruby asks if something is “a matter transporter like on Star Trek”, and The Doctor laughs and says “We’ve gotta visit them someday.”. Is this the first time another SF franchise has been mentioned on Doctor Who?

The new Doctor? Amazing. The new companion? Yep, pretty good.

Space Babies as an episode? Uh, very silly. Did not like.

We have a new Doctor who fully feels like the Doctor to me. Let’s make sure we give him some episodes that are actually good.

‘The Christmas Invasion’ was the first episode for David Tennant. He made a reference to Arthur Dent and implied he was a real person that he knew.

Also Rose said that Captain Jack was a bit more Spock like in ‘The Empty Child’. But she didn’t suggest Star Trek was anything other than a tv show.

Maestro referred to the “oldest one”(or something like that), I’m guessing it won’t be Lorien form Babylon 5 :wink:

The goblin song was cute, and it made some sense to have a song in this episode, but I’m not sure I want much more – musical bits impact are inversely proportional to their frequency IMHO.

I did like the Doctor mentioning Susan and other 1st Doctor stuff.

Brian

“What did you expect? Some kind of space rocket, with Batman at the controls?”

-The Third Doctor, INFERNO.

This season has something weird going on with 4th wall breaking.

In rhe Christmas special Mrs. Flood looks at the camera and mentions that someone has never seen a TARDIS before.

The Maestro looks at the camera and starts playing the Doctor Who theme on the piano.

Ruby asks the Doctor about music playing: The Doctor mumbles to himself “I thought that was non-diegetic.”

Are these supposed to be isolated jokes? Are the supposed to be meaningful to the season arc? We have at least two confirmed reality warpers from anoter dimension/universe–are they going to be straight-up Deadpooling?

Also in discussion, there is an actress named Susan Twist who has appeared/will appear in at least five of the latest season’s episodes as different characters. And the Doctor’s granddaughter Susan is explicitly mentioned this season. As well as that weird musical number pointing out that there is always a twist in the end. So–(the speculation goes), could there be a twist about Susan at the end? Possibly involving the actress Susan Twist? Is this season going to get so meta that Abed would say “that’s too meta”?

Well they have The Doctor explaining to the audience by way of telling Ruby the background facts a new viewer will need to understand the show and specifically this season … so the mention of Susan seems likely to be there for a reason.

Ep three a bit better? Not as cringey cute as Ep 2 but still not quite … hitting the right notes?

BTW was the boy briefly shown near the end of the Twist dance number the same boy as Harbinger at the start?

Also I hope the repeating actor isn’t a Clara thing.

Yes.