Does any professional body have privileged access to Facebook content?

Specifically academia - can universities see more of a FB member’s content than the rest of us mortals?

Reasons for asking:
[ul]
[li]In most cases, when I try searching for someone on Facebook, all I can see is a thumbnail of their profile picture (usually, I can’t even view it full size to confirm that it’s the right person). On rare occasions, I can see a small selection of photos that have presumably been uploaded with ‘public’ visibility.[/li]
[li]However, I keep hearing stories about how students interviewing for a position at some university or other, find their interviewer asking them an oblique question about some specific set of images they posted (e.g. a series of photos of them and their mates drinking, partying, vomiting, lying in the gutter and exposing too much flesh).[/li][/ul]

Now it could just be that the examples I’m hearing about are cases where the individual has their sharing settings wide open, and nothing more than that - I’m fully prepared to accept that conclusion.

Or it could be that certain organisations somehow have a little bit more access to social media content than the man on the street. What’s the straight dope?

A perfectly rational explanation for this is that some people are idiots. So yes, they set up a facebook account without bothering to check or change the standard settings and then go ahead and post compromising pictures. I’ve read of several social security fraud cases being discovered this way.

No, there is no privileged access mode for 3rd parties.

Yes, many people set up their FB accounts so anyone can see their posts.

Zuckerberg himself has access to all accounts.

When one of those potential employers asks questions about the photos that prospective candidates have posted online, and in some of those photos, the candidates are seen as having military service, attending a synagogue, or announcing their pregnancy, I hope the employer is ready to defend themselves as to why they didn’t offer the candidate the job.

This is why doing social media searches of candidates is not a good idea. At least in the US.

So long as the questions don’t relate to those things, the employer doesn’t need to defend themselves against anything.

FYI, Facebook can provide “emergency access” to law enforcement personnel under these guidelines (though I assume they have since been updated).