Does anybody still watch Friend?

What’s more, I (as well as soon-to-be-Mrs.-OMD) actively attempt to not watch it. A syndicated repeat comes on (and they do at least a dozen times each day one one channel or another), we’ll flip temporarily to something guaranteed to be Friends-free. Like the History Channel. Or the Weather Channel.

Though we do know there are people-aplenty that do still care, some of them downright obsessively. Like her obnoxious roommate who watches all dozen each day, plus a few more from her DVDs (of every released season), and buys everything they release. “Wow, I already own this episode on the Season Three set, and the ‘Best Episodes’ set, and the “Episodes with Parties” set (and there is one of these. It comes with a cheap TV tray or some such crap), but it’s coming out now in the “Episodes where Chandler does something remotely witty and spastic” set. Must buy for $30…”

I’ll spend my Thursday night caught up in homework or some fun reading instead. Especially since they moved Scrubs to put that awful “Apprentice” in a sweet time slot.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/30/ray.charles.reut/index.html

I adore this guy. The article says he’s extremely weak from having hip surgery, but there are rumors he has liver cancer. Either way, he’ll be missed by me.

However, I have heard so many stories on how he lost his sight. Does any one know the true facts on this?

This article says he went blind from glaucoma. But the one I heard (which he also commented on) says it is hysterical blindness brought on by his witnessing his brother drown. Another story said it was the byproduct of another illness.

Does anybody really know?

I was confused as to the chronology – you referred to the summer of 2004, which hasn’t actually started yet.

Yeah, that was about the same time for me too. Lost interest.

Got sick of Ross’s whining. Joey’s been doing the same old routine forever (and he’s got a spinoff! RIght?) Phoebe can still make me laugh a bit, Monica’s neurotic behaviour doesn’t cut it anymore. And once they started marrying off everyone, the cast and their storylines got too… Well, like NYR407 said: “teenie bopper gossip show.”

I never rooted for the romances.

I’ll be watching TV Land. From their site:

" . . . at 9 p.m., for the entire hour that the Friends finale is airing, TV Land will be closed for business. Instead of regularly scheduled programming, viewers tuning in to TV Land will be treated to a room full of TV Land staffers—purportedly watching the Friends finale—periodically addressing the camera to remind viewers that the Friends finale is on and that we really aren’t airing anything so there’s no point staying tuned."

D’oh! Sorry…lol I meant 1994. :slight_smile:

Sorry about my Ray Charles post…I thought I had already exited the thread. :smack:

I’m still watching, but then, I’m a relative newbie. I had only seen a handful of syndicated episodes until they started with the DVD Season boxes. My wife is a die-hard Friends fan, so I’ve been buying the DVDs for her, and wound up getting hooked myself.

Yeah, I like it quite a bit. Some very, very funny writing. Yes, a lot of people will be totally anti- about it, but that happens with any highly rated show. It’s certainly dropped a notch this past season, and you can tell their hearts just aren’t in it anymore. This season just feels like a payday for the cast. Hopefully they’ll get it together enough for the finale.

As for post-Friends Thursday, no biggie. Still have CSI.

…So… are you now saying he’s not guest starring on the finale? :frowning:

I thought there would be a farewell singalong.

You’re thinking of the Designing Women opening credits. :stuck_out_tongue:

While this show had some weak moments, I never thought that it ever went completely in the tank (unlike JAG, which has turned into Disneyfied administration propaganda). Nonetheless, the past couple of seasons have been hard to watch. IMHO, it simply ran out of good directions.

Of course I’ll be there for every minute of the finale. I was there for Cheers, Newhart, and The Golden Girls at the very end…how could I miss this?

Happens to lots of long-running series (The Simpsons notwithstanding). Sometimes they just lose direction a little. Sometimes they can regain their stride (Fraiser had some shoddy seasons before being funny again), sometimes not. To be fair, though I don’t really watch it anymore, I don’t think it dropped down into genuine yuckiness. At its worst, it was still better than a good 2/3 of whatever else was on.

I’ll probably watch the finale, unless I forget to.

I still do. I admit, it isn’t as good as it was, but I’m gonna miss it when it goes…

I watched it for a while in its middle years. But then Dawson’s Creek aired and apparently the will they/won’t they of Rachel and Ross lost out to the will they/won’t they of Joey and Dawson. I really don’t know what’s going on in the plot right now, but I intend to watch the finale in order to conform. :cool:

Around our place, it’s not even referred to by name.

It’s simply “The ‘F’ Word.”

Eve said “Feh…”, we simply say “Meh…”

:rolleyes:

That is too funny!!

That’s not the first time they’ve done something like that, is it?