does anyone listen to the afghan whigs?

if not, it’s your loss, but that’s not the point of the thread.

since the whigs are no longer, i need to find some decent rock bands to listen to. i like radiohead, but they’re kind of wearing on me now. i’m not one for pretension. of course, i have the twilight singers album, and it’s great, but dulli’s new project doesn’t really hold a candle to the whigs. i just got into wilco, and i’m really beginning to like those guys.

if you have any other suggestions, please let me know. and don’t mention any of that nickleback sh*t, damn i hate those guys. all that new metal crap is insulting.

How about Down by law? :smiley:

Seriously though have do you like pixies? How about death cab for cutie?

How about Girls Against Boys? They kick ass. (Skip their “Freakonica” album, though.)

If you like the emotion of the Wigs, you should check out 16 Horsepower.
They sound absolutely nothing alike, but they have great imagery and lyrics. They deserve their own thread. Listen somewhere free first and see if it’s your cup of tea.

I seem to remember Nacho4Sara saying that she dug the Whigs. Maybe putting her name in here will bring her to the thread via vanity search.

Anyway, I am ashamed to say that I know nothing about the band, other than a really cool cover of a dreadfully cheesy song in one of my favorite movies, Beautiful Girls.
I’ve always wanted to give them a listen.
Any advice? What’s a good CD?

I’m going to suggest Marah. A very stripped down rock and roll band…though their new album is a bit overproduced, you will love them. “Float Away” the first single from their new album is just hitting the airwaves. There are a few songs you can download from their site.

Come to think of it, I’ve mentioned these guys an awful lot on this board…I’m beginning to sound like their PR guy or something.

Gentlemen.

Holy smokes, I first heard this when I was 15, and…well, let’s just say that I was no longer innocent after that. :wink:

You know they are from Cincinnati right?

I love their cover of TLC’s “Creep”

yeah, i grew up about 45 minutes from the 'nati.

black love is my favorite album. their last one, 1965, was the most radio friendly. i didn’t like it at first but it was just too catchy to dislike for too long. congregation, up in it, and gentleman still get regular play in my stereo.

dulli’s voice is just so great at oozing guilt. he basically sings about how big an asshole he is. something about their music just resonates with me, maybe i’m a bigger jerk than i realize…

download “what jail is like” if you’ve never heard of the afghan whigs. that’s my favorite song.

Certainly I listen to the Afghan Whigs. I particularly like Gentlemen and 1965. In fact I think AW are part of Rock Snob 101.

As to what sounds like them: no-one really, which is why they’re worth listening to, but you might like to try out The Feelies’ back catalogue.

My girlfriend is a big fan and knew the guys in the band peripherally, the drummer even had a crush on her best friend. She introduced me to the music with “Gentlemen” and I’ve been on board since.

I hear Greg is still doing stuff…

The girlfriend’s suggestion as to who you should also be listening to are: Scrawl, The Ass Ponies and Throneberry. I’m not familiar; so take the advice at your own risk, but she has a masters in Rock Snob; so you should be all set.

I only listened to one song of theirs, a cover of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” played live, which I absolutely love. But that’s it.

I’ve heard their really smarmy version of “If I Only Had a Heart.” (Ya know, from the Wizard of Oz.)
That man can make anything sound dirty, can’t he? God, I love him.

Where were you when I bought this cd! GOD IT SUCKS! I haven’t wanted to check them out again since fearing that all of their music sucked that bad. Any suggestions on a good album.

I love the whigs.

Can’t think of much that is similar to them…but here are a few in the same “vibe”.

The Strokes
Pete Yorn
John Mayer

i saw a john mayer video on mtv and it was pretty lame. and the strokes seem pretty derivative to me.

i do have some ass ponies stuff, after buying the whigs/ponies split 12" a long time ago. and scrawl is dope, marcy mays sang on gentlemen, i believe. “my curse” gets the nod for saddest song ever. and her and greg did a nice rendition of “will you still love me tomorrow.” it’s downright beautiful.

fallenangel, your girl has some good taste in music, so i’ll check throneberry out solely on the strength of her snobbery.

and listen to wilco, it’s time you find out.

and if you don’t know, now ya know…

Pezpunk, I was probably denying I had any knowledge of its existence. I agree – it’s embarrassing.
The rest of their stuff rocks. I like their Disco 666 EP best of all, but you could try Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby to start.

They just released their latest album, You Can’t Fight What You Can’t See, yesterday, but I haven’t been able to get it yet. I’ve heard a few songs off of it when I last saw them live, and they’re good. Their new label, Jade Tree, has a few mp3s up, if you want a taste. Also, if you support mp3 distribution, look for the songs “Explicitly Yours,” “Super-fire,” and their cover of Joy Division’s “She’s Lost Control.”

Pezpunk, I was probably denying I had any knowledge of its existence. I agree – it’s embarrassing.
The rest of their stuff rocks. I like their Disco 666 EP best of all, but you could try Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby to start.

They just released their latest album, You Can’t Fight What You Can’t See, yesterday, but I haven’t been able to get it yet. I’ve heard a few songs off of it when I last saw them live, and they’re good. Their new label, Jade Tree, has a few mp3s up, if you want a taste. Also, if you support mp3 distribution, look for the songs “Explicitly Yours,” “Super-fire,” and their cover of Joy Division’s “She’s Lost Control.”

:o