Does Anyone Understand Andy Capp?

Hey, Ike, pass me ‘Harold Teen’ when you’re through, and here, you can have ‘Dixie Dugan.’

Any trouble gettin’ home yesterday?

–Jeanne Eagels (The Rain Girl)

Nope, Flora, the D train blew me straight home by 3 in the afternoon, which gave me time to prepare a Hungarian gulyas and potato dumplings for din-din (hurricane comfort food), something that usually takes weekend-style leisure time.

And you? Do you drive in, or take the train? (I remember you complaining about the Lincoln Tunnel traffic on one thread!)

Hey! Did you take the section with THIMBLE THEATER?

Naw, here’s ‘Thimble Theater’–got mixed in somehow with ‘Somebody’s Stenog’ and ‘Harold Teen’ (Oh, Lillums!).

Took the PATH to Hoboken and the train out to my Old New Jersey Home, Far Away–got home late, wet and disgruntled–but home, which is the important thing. Even got seats on the train–pregnant women are SO easy to shove over, as their center of gravity is so low.

–Winnie Winkle

Flora and Ike, I hate to break up your old-timers party, but you can get Ally Oop at http://umweb1.unitedmedia.com/comics/

Granted, it probably ain’t the same as the good old days, but then what is?

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Thanks, Gr8Kat, good site–I was somewhat startled to see that Miss Peach is now Ms. Peach!

Now if only Milt Gross had his own Web site–hmm, dunt esk!

Thanks from me also, Gr8Kat…I bookmarked that sucker faster than the prevailing metaphor for quickness!

Omigod, Flora, you’re a Milt Gross buff TOO? Have you got a hardcover of NIZE BABY? Do you know anywhere I can get more copies of COUNT SCREWLOOSE OF TOULOUSE? “Iggy, keep an eye on me!”

Uke

Dear Dollink–

Hmmm, so mebbe a copy from “Hiawatta” you want, odder “Famous Fimmales” odder “I Shoulda Ate the Eclair?” Dunt esk! But “Count Touloose” I no got–I hedda copy, but Louie dot Dope lent it to Mrs. Yifnif who never returned it–dot blitched blounde, I’ll scretch de rooge from her doity chicks!

I, yi, yi–Iss diss a seestem?

–Mrs. Noftalis

Speaking of political correctness in old comic strips, when I was a lass Tumbleweeds was one of my family’s favorites, but the local paper hasn’t carried it 15 years or more. So I was happy to find it at http://www.ctoons.com/ BUT they’ve changed some of those characters’ names, too! Flaccid Fox is now Flabby Fox, and Limpin’ Lizard is Limpid Lizard! As my sister would say, Holy crispy crap!

http://www.kingfeatures.com/comics/index.htm
Can’t do the link thing yet, but this is another good comic strip site.

Thanks, Jake, I’ll bookmark that one, too! Wow, someone still does the Katzenjammer Kids, too! What, no Little Nemo in Slumberland? No Krazy Kat? No Yellow Kid, Bringing up Father, Polly and her Pals, or Buster Brown? (See, I can throw out obscure oldtime comic strips, too! :wink: )

OH, Kat! POLLY AND HER PALS! The BEST strip EVER…or my name ain’t Ashur Url Perkins!

–Uke, pining for the 1920s when you could hop on a trolley-car for a nickel

Oh my God, I spoke too soon, the King Features site DOES have Bringing up Father!

What, no Terry and the Pirates? No Pogo? No Captain Easy? No… ummm… oh, never mind, I’m just being silly, and I couldn’t take another surprise like that.

Lol :slight_smile: I agree, Ike, Polly and her Pals is one of my favorites, too :slight_smile:

Ooh, lookey what I found: http://www.kenpiercebooks.com/polly.htm

When I get some disposable income, I know how I’m going to dispose of it :slight_smile:

So, Ike, dollink–

If you wanna borrow, I got Dear Dollink, Nize Baby, Dunt Esk!, Famous Fimmales, I Shoulda Ate the Eclair, Hiawatta (wit no odder poems) and, hmmm . . . I gotta check tonight.

Phew! Thank you for translating, Flora. While I love NIZE BABY, it can take hours to get through a chapter (“Itt opp de nize Crim uv Whit.”). And, to paraphrase Unca Cece, if you thought I was going to respond in Gross-ese, you’re outta your mind.

Do your copies of those titles date from the 1920s-30s? Have they ever been reprinted?

So! Flora…Kat…what do you ladies think of ANDY CAPP, eh?

– Uke, bringing the Great Wheel of Life slowly back into alignment

Thanks, Ukelele Ike.

D’oh

I dunno how I feel about Andy Capp… I didn’t like it when I was little because I couldn’t fathom the accents and trying to read it gave me a headache. When I got older and could understand it, it was yanked from our local paper for all the reasons sited here for hating it (drunkeness, spousal abuse, etc.). So I’m not sure what I think of it, but I don’t recall hating it with the passion that some do.

OpalCat: I haven’t checked the Dilbert Zone for a while because it’s blocked at work. By the time I came home I would have read it somewhere else.But it did not have the current daily comic at one time, only a few weeks back.For those who are blocked like me, check New york times, “diversions”, cartoons.