Does anyone Understand this Nerdy comic? Explain please.

Don’t you hate it when you get a comic that you get but don’t know if anyone else does, therefore you feel as if you are the one who is wrong. Well, this one is from Helen Sweetheart of the Internet from Sunday, February 18, 2001.

Unfortunately, I can't post a link directly to the comic. It won't let me. But, click the link at the bottom of the page and go to February 18, 2001.

Now, the punchline of the joke is where they guy says, "Nah, he can work in the spice mines."

Even I think that this joke might be a bit to obscure if it is what I think it is. What do you guys think it means? And is it funny?

http://www.comicspage.com/helen/index.html

Ha ha ha ha whoooo whooooo whooooo heh heh shew!!! I have no idea what they are talking about.

I think we are all suspecting that it is a Dune reference. . . although it makes no sense.

Dude. It’s a classic reference.

See, when you make the Kessel run, you’re going from the Spice Mines of Kessle to… wherever you go to sell smuggled spice. Ask Han Solo. He’ll tell you all about it. You know, he can make the Kessel Run in under four parsecs!

I’m not sure I entirely get it either, but I think I might have an idea.

First, do you know who Che Guevara is? Someone will most likely correct me, but he was a Cuban freedom fighter. I believe he was fighting the good communist fight in C. America (corrections, please).

It seems that the young guy is on to something (that the baby boomers have some “underlying knowledge that the rest of us don’t share”), and they discuss this young man’s “future”, making a vague allusion that he’s correct in this.

It would help if I was a little more versed in this comic’s agenda, if any. Any more background info?

But then, I do need to get this tin-foil hat repaired - its been acting up all week.

Opening frame: Conversation between Boomers containing Boomer reference.

Middle frames: Gen X-er complaining about Oldster Boomers references and how dated they are - both the reference(s) and the Boomer(s).

Ending frame: Oldster boomer using Oldster Boomer reference to slight Gen X-er for pointing out the fact that he’s an Oldster Boomer thereby deepening Oldster Boomer’s identity as Oldster Boomer. This can be taken as ironic, or caustic and curmudgeonly - likely the latter.

In starwars, the Spice mines are were the wookies were enslaved. Han used to be apart of the Imperial Army and he met Chewy while he was working the mines. IIRC, Han was sick of the slavery and helped Chewy to escape and went AWOL. He then became a smuggler of spice amoung other things and Chewy owed him a “life debt” and will never leave Han’s side.
I guess this promotes me to Ubernerd.

The plot is thickening in this one. I thought it was a Dune reference, which you can tell by looking at my thread title and the first words of my first post(the first letters of each paragraph in the thread spell DUNE, look down the side).

I didn’t want to say my opinion directly. There are Spice Mines in the novel Dune and they are integral to the plot.

I am interested in what cykrider, our UberNerd(first Europe, tomorrow the world) mentioned. He says that it is a Star Wars reference. So which is it?

I have to admit, I don’t think anyone is sentenced to work in Spice Mines in Dune, but I’ve only seen the Sci-Fi TV movie. Anyone know anything that can clear this up?

By the way, in my newspaper, they cut off the first two panels that mention Che Guevera. Stupid Detroit Free Press.

I thought it was a “He knows too much, he must be disposed of.” joke.

Not a very funny one, and too obscure for anyone to get, but there ya go. He’s not a very good colorist either.

I thought it was a Dune reference but I didn’t find it funny…

…and what the heck are “Cow Tools” anyway?
:slight_smile:

No idea.

If you’re really desperate for an answer, try to have it posted at the “Comics I Don’t Understand” page ( http://www.crimeweek.com/cidu.html )

Somebody has to get it…

http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/kerberos/sci-fi/starwars/char/rebel/chewie/chewie.html

Hopefully this will add some validity to my previous post. It has to be a Star Wars joke.

CheapBastid has it right. Of course, an analysis of how something is funny is never funny, and cannot retroactively make someone “get” a joke.

I got the joke right off, and I thought it was pretty funny. It’s even funnier that people aren’t getting it.

I saw the movie “Never Been Kissed” where a late-20’s woman goes undercover, posing as a sixteen year old, and goes back to high school. She says her name is Josie, “Like from Josie and the Pussycats*.” The girl she’s talking to says “Who?” I laughed aloud. And then I laughed even more when I realized I was the only one in the theater old enough to get the joke. (Everyone thought I was a freak, of course. This is normal)

• Josie and the Pussycats was a cartoon from the late sixties/early seventies. It was the first cartoon to have a black main character. And female, to boot. No, this has nothing to do with this thread, I just thought I’d throw it in.

HIJACK!
You’ll no doubt be aware of the Josie and the Pussycats movie coming out this Summer then.

Hmm. Wait a minute - Drew Barrymore was 9 in ET (filmed in 1981). Is she really old enough to know Josie and the Pussycats?

Before scrolling down to read other folks’ responses –
Umm…Dune???
Only age-appropriate reference to spice I can think of, but I don’t remember if they called them ‘mines’…

Dune didn’t have spice mines. The worms made the spice and the Arrakides harvested it from the worms.

Just my 2¢.

Umm…I was BORN in 1981, and very much remember Josie and the Gang. They had a hell of a band going there.

Blah Blah Blah, horrific artwork, Blah Blah Blah, stupid stereotypes, Blah Blah Blah, weak punchline.

As someone said, there are no spice “mines” in Dune. The Spice comes from the sand worms on Arakkis. After all these years, the word “Arakkis” still comes to me without a moment of thought.

I thought it was Dune at first too, but…

And I was born in 1977 but I still know about Josie and the Pussycats because I caught the end of the era when it was still in reruns. Man, they were hot. Evern when I was, like, 9.

Anyway…the comic is really sucky anyway. But most of them are. Has Liberty Meadows gotten good yet? The artwork was so great but the writing was so bad…