Does crossing the street to avoid certain people reduce your chances of being victimized by crime?

I also live in Vancouver (hey neighbor!) and I’d be zigzaging down the centreline if I started crossing the streets because of asians. I’d also need a census map to figure out which of us is the minority threat on any given block.

A Monkey With A Gun has it right. You need to walk as though you have every right to be there to avoid being seen as ‘prey’.

Saying that, you could still cross the road, as long as you did it before the ‘rowdy looking gang’ had noticed you. You still have to walk tall; you just get to do it further away, which will buy you a little bit of time if it suddenly goes ‘pear-shaped’.

One thing to remember: If you’re a guy, not wearing any bling, not wearing any flashy or nice clothes, not wearing any gang colors; you’re not likely to make a ping on anybody’s radar.

I’ve seen this on other message boards: it’s wrong for a anyone to cross the street to avoid a black person, but it’s acceptable for a woman to cross the street to avoid a man. Why? I’m not some angry man’s advocate, but I find it quite insulting to be walking down the street, and have a woman cross over as I approach, and cross back after I’ve passed.

So, is it politically correct for a woman to cross the street for a white man, since he may be a potential rapist, but it’s wrong to cross the street if a black man approaches, since it’s an implied racist act?

Political correctness be damned.

Trust your instincts. If you think you should cross the street, do so. There is a reason the little hairs on the back of your neck are twitching, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the skin color of whomever you are looking at.

I read about a woman who would cross the street when approaching a man except if he was black because she didn’t want to appear racist. Forgot where.
Some comedian on the OP: Cross the street and feel guilty when you get home safe.
How to scare the shit out of a white couple:

Step 1: Be black.

Step 2: Be the first thing they see after they were intensely studying a wanted poster of a black man.

Step 3: Take your pick: Profit! or Hi, Opal!
I’ve had this happen in broad daylight and it always makes me wonder did she need to cross right then. In the absence of further evidence, benefit of the doubt and shit.

Yes, but at least it will be a white person. :smiley:

Oh, I don’t know. Could have something to do with skin color. You know, since the OP said he was crossing the street to avoid people of a particular ethnic group.

But hey, what does he know? They’re only his own words.

I’m sorry, but what has this to do with politics?

Yeah, if you cross the street you could be showing yourself to be vulnerable. But if you stay on the same side you’re putting yourself in harm’s way. There’s got to be a compromise.
Me? I’m a middle of the road kind of guy.

Seriously. “Oh nos! He moved across the street. Drat, I suppose I’ll just have to mug the next white person I see. Hopefully the tricky bastard doesn’t cross the street, too.” Well, blacks are lazy.

“Up until that moment?” So this means you began perceiving them as a threat after they informed you they didn’t want your money?

Pretty much. Perhaps the OP thinks all skinny white guys look like prey to black guys?

Hmm, profit seems appealing. Beats working!

I guess the question the OP has to ask himself is – is it about race or demeanor? Would he be warier of a black man or woman? Would he be warier of a huge white guy with facial tattoos and bling or a svelte black metrosexual in a Paul Smith suit?

I agree, though, that obviously crossing the street may give you a false sense of security. You might be better off having a fake conversation on your cell phone.

Well, I don’t know about blacks, but the University of Minnesota (I believe - I cannot find a cite) did a study of incarcerated rapists, and they found that if they (the rapists) accosted a woman, and she ran away, they wouldn’t even bother to chase her. Their belief was that there was always another woman who would make it easier.

When I taught women’s self-defense, this was one of the hardest notions to get across to my students - that they were better at reading body language than they believed. There is usually-but-not-always a reason, as Clothahump mentions, that you get a bad vibe from someone.

The other hard idea to get across was that you don’t inflict injury on people by not giving them a chance to mug you, even if that was not their intent.

I was heading to my car late one night at work. A woman was parked next to me (it turned out) and was coming to the parking lot from another building next to mine. She was a little ahead of me, and it appeared to her as we approached the parking ramp that I was following her. She looked back at me and was obviously frightened.

I stopped, took off my hat, and waited for her to reach her car and get in.

How did she damage me? Would it have been worse if she had gone back into her building and waited for me to leave?

Regards,
Shodan

Help! Prince is after me!

:smiley:

Watch out for that car!

Walking in the middle of the road with crazy eyes, sounds about the best bet to me!

Look out! He has a microphone and he’s going to use it!

How is taking off your hat reassuring? You could have meant to fling it at her like Oddjob in Goldfinger. You could have scary hair, or a glaringly offensive bald pate. Or she could think you’re about to take off other clothing items and run screaming for help.

Simply stopping and leering reassuringly is always best.

There was a rabbit under it. Chicks dig magicians.

Even if you’re a female and you wear flashy clothes, jewelry, or any colors that could be construed as belonging to a rival gang, you’re still somewhat vulnerable to being attacked or whatever.