Does she have a point ? "Woman Horrified After Seeing That Her Husband Used A Contact Photo Of Her On His Phone"

Personally, I’d have do this because I can’t remember people and I’ve hung up on people that I needed to talk to that I forgot who they were it’s one reason mom paid for caller id back in the day

Does she have a point or is she just paranoid?

Surely it would have come up earlier in their relationship that the woman is paranoid about her personal information, wouldn’t it?

She sounds like a control freak.

Whoa. I saw the original reddit post on this and it was a sort of an interesting story but not really a lot to it. So someone wrote an article about the reddit post, adding very little other than to repeat redditors’ comments, and now we’re commenting on that article? Is the internet eating itself?

That happens all the time now, websites like BuzzFeed, UpWorthy, and BoredPanda now just steal stories from Reddit and repost them as “original content”.

I’m 75% sure that original story is fake too, so many Subreddits like AmITheAsshole?, Anti-Work, and MaliciousCompliance are all really obviously fake stories that are solely written to cause outrage and get reposted. In fact, I’ve literally seen people take SDMB topics and post them on other websites as a lazy way to generate content.

It probably is, but I do know people weird in a similar way. A friend’s daughter-in-law won’t let my friend take any pictures of her grandkids. I don;t know what she’s afraid of, but she is absolute in this rule.

I think that’s the heart of it. The wife has a crazy reaction, but didn’t the husband realize that might happen? She mentions they had recently moved; maybe she is having trouble adjusting. Her mania is a new thing and the husband hadn’t realized the extent.

I read a BuzzFeed article like this and was surprised to see my (uncredited) comment used.

When I read the subject line, I assumed that her husband was using HER picture to present HIMSELF as a woman, which seems like a reasonable thing to be horrified about. Now that I’ve read the article, I’m just … deeply confused? I don’t understand why this would be an issue at all.

She has absolutely ZERO point. This is fake, and if it’s not fake, that woman is one of biggest morons to ever walk the Earth.

Sometimes even normal well adjusted people harp on minor stupid issues of no consequence. But, yeah, it’s best to take the story with a grain of salt.

Might it be possible that she is unaware what a contact photo in a smartphone‘s phone book app is about, exactly, and that she imagines that the photo is visible in some way to people her husband communicates with using that phone?

Assuming the story is true, the wife has the right to make the insistence that she did and he has to live with it. If she doesn’t want a picture of her anywhere anyone can see it, that’s just the way it is. “happy wife, happy life”.

Now, he has the right to decide whether he wants to live with someone who makes ridiculous demands like that.

From my personal perspective, it could go either way.
Everybody takes pictures on their phones. I use pictures I take for contact photos or just to have. As long as you aren’t stealing professional pictures, taking/ using nude pictures or posting them on the internet - there should be no issue with how the picture is being used.

OTOH, I do not like it when people add my picture to Facebook. Their facial recognition technology has a record of peoples posted in personal pictures. Since I don’t trust Facebook to do anything positive, I for sure do not want my facial recognition data in their greedy hands. Unfortunately, that cat is already out of the bag.

I agree it’s probably fake. But, to go along with the premise:

It shouldn’t be a problem, if the husband provides a good reason:

Good reason: “honey, I just want to see your beautiful face pop up when you call me.”

Bad reason: “I sometimes just don’t want to talk to you. Seeing your mug pop up makes it easy to reject.”

Really bad reason: “my girlfriend has your same name. I need to quickly tell you two apart.”

I’m pretty stunned about the complaint. Unless the husband used a nude picture of her or an embarrassing picture, I’m failing to see how a spouse would think that he or she needs “consent” to use a pic for a contact, contained only on a personal phone.

Was it the “Take this poll to see what SDMB poster you are!” article?

No, it was about a topic on Reddit

This occurred to me, too. But then I realized that the contact photo will show when she calls him, with her name on it, even when the phone is locked. So I can at least squint and see a privacy concern.

I actually suspect the issue is that she thinks poorly of the way she looks and just doesn’t want people having pictures of her.

Assuming it is real and not exaggerated. (I actually suspect the Reddit story is an exaggerated tale with details left out.)

I’m genuinely surprised that still gets used in 2022. It suggests this antagonistic relationship where one partner has to always be made happy, rather than a happy partnership where there will inevitably be compromise.

Obviously in that relationship something has to “give”. Either she has to change her mind about him displaying her picture on his phone (which, incidentally, my wife finds it flattering that I display her picture) and I don’t see that happening, or he has to capitulate and remove her picture. He has to live with her, fortunately, I don’t.