Does this variant on the Superman story exist?

Superman’s story is pretty iconic, and so naturally there have been countless what-if variants on it. I’ve thought of what seems like a pretty obvious one, but I don’t know if it exists already.

The basic framework is almost the same: An alien spaceship crash-lands in the American heartland, with the only survivor being an infant. A farming couple finds the crash, takes pity on the infant, and adopt him. They raise him in a loving family, and instill good American values in him. As he grows up, he develops powers and abilities far beyond those of Earthlings, and becomes a hero.

But the catch is, this Superman can’t just put on a pair of glasses and pass himself off as a mild-mannered reporter, because he looks completely and utterly alien. Like, five chitinous legs arranged radially around the base of his body, and the top of his body is a mass of writhing tentacles with an eye at the end of each one, or the like. He’s still got the same basic personality we know, but he looks absolutely horrid, and he’s not a shapechanger or anything, nor does he have holographic tech to make him look human.

Obviously, this would necessitate some other changes to the story, but that’s what the comic book (or other story form) would be exploring, as well as questions about how the rest of the world would view him and so on.

So anyway, does this exist?

Not until now. But it’s yours, as soon as you draw it up.

(I can’t wait for the scene where Perry White introduces CL"click"RK • Kzzzz ENT to the Daily Planet staff…and Lois thinks “Hmmm, I wonder…”)

Seriously, I’ve read a lot of Alternate Continuity stories where Super-Baby’s space capsule was found by Tom & Martha Wayne or Russians or Lex Luthor’s parents, but not this idea. I like it!

Howard the Duck touches on some of these themes.

That’s gonna be pretty hard to do when people flee in terror every time he does out in public.

Seriously, I don’t think he’d be able to have any kind of normal upbringing, nor be able to grow into an even reasonably well-balanced adult.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

You’ve got a pretty good story outline there. Write it up. Just don’t call em “Superman,” because that’ll get you problems.

Yet that’s what happens in the original Bizarro story, which I mentioned above. All the menfolk in Smallville chase his away and threaten him, all the wimmenfolk scream in terror and run away, with the exception of Ma and Pa Kent and one little girl, and in the end Bizarro dies a hero.

If it hasn’t been done already, I want to see a story where Superman is black and, while he initially is treated like the hero he is, eventually a small but nasty group of white supremacists who feel threatened by him conspire to smear and then destroy him. And succeed. And then the Earth gets destroyed by a giant meteor he could have stopped.

That sounded more compelling in my head.

Of course, the funny part about that is that the Superman we have in the standard story is of a far more different “race” than white or black humans.

Saw a cartoon on that point - Clark and Lois are about to go to bed together, only for her to discover that his anatomical resemblance to humans wasn’t quite entire. She runs off screaming.

And that’s not getting into the whole “Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex” story thing.

Icon, from Milestone Comics superhero universe, was a bit like that. Basic Superman setup - doomed planet, desperate scientists, last hope - except two differences. First, Icon’s original species didn’t look human at all, but the escape pod was designed to scan the local sentient species and genetically alter its passenger to look like the local natives. Second, the pod lands on a slave plantation in 1840, and is found by an enslaved woman who adopts him as her own.

There was a short story about an alien super being who resembles a human. He does his best to “fit in” but deep down not only is his mentality alien, but his body only looks human.

So what did the original Bizarro look like? The one I’m familiar with just looks like Superman with a palette-shifted costume.

Sounds a lot like the animated movie Megamind.

The twist was that Megamind becomes the villain thanks to his looks and being raised by convicts, he changes and becomes the hero in the end.

Here’s the cover to the issue in question. Most iterations of Bizarro Superman look more or less like that. The chalk white skin is pretty standard in most iterations, although the degree to which his face has that faceted look varies.

The “cubist” Bizarro is how I recall him from the 1950s and 1960s. Interesting that they later made him look more normal.

Not a Superman or even an alien tale, but the OP’s request reminds me of Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory.

Chronos, could I sell you on a farm family finding a baby zombie who grows up to be the zombie Messiah?

I believe that Bizarro was at least partially inspired by Universal’s Frankenstein movies, so the forehead-heavy blocky appearance and the awkward speech, and there was even a friendship with a blind girl.

Come to think of it, Hellboy isn’t all that different from what I’m imagining, either.

The Ron Perlman movies are definitely quite similar to what you’ve outlined. The comic book stories, not so much, at least from what I can recall.

The whatever-they-were-called British secret society of giant hunters tried to kill him, but that was for very specific reasons, not just on general principle. Other than that, I can’t remember anybody actually being particularly bothered by the fact that he doesn’t just look like a demon, he literally is one.

I think I’ve read most of the Hellboy comic book stories, but I may very well have missed some or be misremembering them.

In the D.C. interpretation, Bizarro was a defective copy of Superboy created by a defective duplicating machine, and part of Bizarro’s defectiveness was being mentally deficient. He was supposedly babyish, and even had a babyish character (he spent much of the original episode trying to do good and be a “mother’s little helper” sort to get people to like him), and his mangled pronouns were an attempt by the writers to portray him speaking “baby talk”.