Does windows 10 have you frustrated?

I’m fine with it. Then again, I’m coming from 8. and I hated 8 on a PC.

It’s not perfect: after the last update, for whatever reason windows explorer crashed and I ended up with a black screen and had to reboot in safe mode, something I haven’t had to do in ages, at least not with this computer. But overall wouldn’t go back to 8.

I could have converted from XP to 10 myself but for aprox. 30 dollar’s my local pc hospital done the install and removed any problems and gave my pc a health check fully sorted and working well.

I had to disable 10’s default “you have NO privacy” settings in order to have any privacy. I came away from that distrusting everything. I won’t even use Office – I downloaded Open Office instead, made Firefox my default system, and Google my default homepage.

Reading this thread, it’s obvious that I’m nowhere as computer literate as many of you. That’s what bothers me more about 10: You can disable/rearrange things on 10 but you have to know what you’re doing. For those of us who either don’t have an IT background or are timid about doing things, it’s daunting.

So, I am justified in staying on Windows 7, then. That’s what I’m getting out of this thread.

Eventually, more and more new stuff will be only 10 compatible. In a while you won’t be able to. say. buy a new printer that’s 7 compatible, or there won’t be the newest drivers for 7.

I installed Windows 10 on four computers using high speed connections.

The new Asus installed quickly with no problems, except for games I had with eLicense, which should have been unistalled beforehand and reinstalled after 10.

A year old HP laptop took hours to install and now runs some system process that hogs up resources and freezes programs. For some reason, Flash on Youtube is now broken, and PDFs take forever to load. Chrome and Firefox underperform now, if they even open.

The newer HP desktop went to a black screen all day when installing and seems now seems FUBAR.

A 6 year old HP dekstop took a few hours to install, and sometimes freezes when using Windows Explorer or searching for files. However, it works fine most of the time.

So I was pretty much 2/4, and the Asus one is so smooth I forget which OS it is running.

I had my first experience with it last week, and I hated it.

My husband put it on his laptop, and I tried to create a separate user account for me so I wouldn’t screw up his bookmarks, history, etc. Well, I screwed it up big time, and I have no idea how I did it. In Win 7, adding users is a piece of cake, but in 10, it’s a pain in the ass. When all was said and done, I managed to get his account tied to my Hotmail address, my Firefox overwrote his bookmarks and history, and I even managed to screw up his screen resolution - absolutely NO IDEA how that happened.

After considerable bitching on his part and much groveling on mine, I was able to completely dissociate my email from his machine and I restored most of the settings to what he’d had. I remembered some of his bookmarks, so that was good anyway. And I fixed one other annoying issue that had been ongoing before I ever tried to add myself.

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence, but now his battery charger won’t power up the computer if the battery is installed. OK, it seems to be an issue with the plug interface on the laptop itself, but I choose to blame Win 10. I dread the day when I have to replace my old desktop machine…

I agree. A PC should work like a toaster. Select how brown you want the bread to be and go.

It is particularly odd that things are more difficult when Windows 8 was an effort to make the PC function like a cell phone.

it really irritates me when people say this about things like computers, or cars, or the like. Computers and cars are several orders of magnitude more complex than a little metal box with hot wires which has precisely one function.

Of course, but consider how easily cars run with the driver having to be a mechanic.

GWX Control Panel is a utility that can help stop the automatic installation of Windows 10. There is an update to the program due out any day now to deal with Microsoft’s dirty tricks of continually replacing the Win10 auto-install.

it’s not like you need your own personal IT person just to own a computer. The difference I see is when some people upgrade or buy a new PC with e.g. Windows 10, they lose their minds “WTF M$ WHY YOU CHANGE START MENU AND MOVE MY CHEESE” and go on a mission to try to make it just like the Windows 95 they’re used to.

Meanwhile, someone buying e.g. a BMW after owning a Honda where the window switches and cruise controls are in a different spot or work differently, they don’t go asking how to move them to be just like the Honda.

OP here. So, I gather from above, that when updating my Win10 on a new HP and it pauses for several hours at ‘‘updating windows 32%’’ that my experience is not typical?

My new laptop came with 10 so I had no choice :stuck_out_tongue: I had 7 installed on my old laptop. 7 was lovely because it was uncluttered – no tiles, no apps, nothing except the basics of what a laptop, to a non-IT person, should be. It did what I wanted it to do, nothing more, nothing less.

With 10 I have to disable Spotify, for example, because it randomly pops up whenever it feels like it. It keeps asking me to sign into other apps using my Facebook login. Fuck no. I want to keep whatever sliver of privacy I still have.

I feel the same way about vehicles. I traded in my old 2005 Jeep for a 2013 Kia a couple of months ago. The Kia has stuff my Jeep never had – enhanced computer system, enhanced stereo/sound, cruise control, you name it. There has been a learning curve in relearning which buttons operate what, but otherwise a vehicle is a vehicle and a vehicle isn’t going to “force” me into using something I don’t wish to use. Can’t say the same about 10.

No, it’s not typical. Are you upgrading from an earlier version of Windows, like 7 or 8 or installing the latest upgrade of Windows 10?

Never thought of that.*** It is new*** i.e. off the shelf at Walmart.

A clean install from a DVD should take about half an hour. Less for a USB3 stick.

How old is the version you are installing? If it’s older than November of 2015, they did a major update (think service pack 1) in the middle of November. It takes a little while too.

Win 10, lightning fast compared to my last version. No complaints, no desire to go back. Upgraded from Win 8 on a new computer though, and it still took probably 2 hours.

A general comment to people frustrated with Win 10: get a book, like Windows 10 For Dummies or something similar.

It doesn’t mean you’re a dummy. I’ve been working with computers for 40 years, and Windows for nearly 30. Before I retired, I made a living writing fairly sophisticated system and application programs for Windows for a major corporation. Up through Windows 7, I would have rated myself extremely knowledgeable in all things Windows.

And I literally had no clue how to do some very simple things when I first installed Windows 8. Maybe it made sense if you were used to I-phones or something, but it was completely unintuitive to me. I felt no shame at all in getting a book; I only felt a deep, burning hatred for Microsoft.