Does windows 10 have you frustrated?

Okay, that is seriously cool. Thank you. :slight_smile:

No. no- it wasn’t you. That interface was ridiculous.

Did you have any problem acquiring drivers?

I’m equally “outraged” at all the minimalist applications like Google Chrome, that don’t have menus anymore.

The whole point of Windows, the founding principle, the best thing in the world about it, was that you no longer had to learn a bunch of arbitrary key sequences when you bought a new program. Every program had a menu up at the top, with File Edit Options Help, and you knew where to go to do various stuff.

What’s wrong with having people know how to use your program? Why on earth would you want people to be yelling at the screen when there is no indication of how to do basic things with your program?

I just don’t get it.

I just bought a new Dell XPS last month with Windows 10 installed. I’ve been pretty impressed with it. There was some downloading up updates at first; however, I have a pretty good internet connection so it didn’t take long. I changed the settings to download after midnight.

My main frustration is that it can’t take a goddamn hint. No Windows 10, I don’t want you on my computer.

And completely disabling Windows Update is not a good idea.

When I did it, the new NVIDIA driver for win 10 was not available, so it used a generic driver until NVIDIA got the driver online. Other than that, all the other drivers were seamless.

Like noted higher up in this thread, the install did stall somewhere around 32% and seemed to be locked, but it eventually finished.

The only complaint I have is how much Win 10 is tied to Microsoft. Typically I ignore all that and all the requests to log on to X box or whatever it is if I want to play solitaire. Also, I use Chrome, so I’ve never tried the new browser. No need for it.

I honestly find it fast, quick to boot, etc. If I had it to do all over, I’d upgrade to Win 10, but…IF Win 8 is running well for you, I don’t see that you’ll gain all that much.

As I posted unthread, I believe Microsoft wants the PC to work like a cellphone, because people like that, and will spend more money.

I wouldn’t recommend leaving it disabled indefinitely, but I think it’s actually safer to disable it for reasonable intervals, e.g. letting other people beta test Microsoft’s patches, and downloading them when it’s convenient, after they’ve been out a week or two and haven’t caused problems.

Windows update recently put every install of Outlook into Safe Mode.
One would think it would be corrected by an update the next Tuesday, but this did not come to pass. :dubious:

And some of us specifically make “can I find anything blindly?” a do/notdo criterion when choosing a new car.

The two main reasons I’m not buying anything from the Volkswagen group are:

• seats designed thinking that the driver will be a flat-arsed, 1’80m male.
  • lights are not on the wheel, but in a hard-to-reach spot behind it. I can’t even see that control without the kind of gymnastics one should not do while driving.
    Together, they add up to “the ergonomics suck”.

So, it should only have space for like 3 games?

Windows 10 still has the same blurry text issue that Windows 8 had and for that reason I will not upgrade until they fix it. If the OS cannot render text properly on a 1920x1080 monitor that is running with the latest drivers then I have no interest in it. A fresh install of Win 10 is so ugly it makes me nostalgic for Windows Vista.

That’s EXACTLY why I don’t like 10. Thank you!

I already have a cellphone. What I want on that cellphone I have on that cellphone. Most of the apps I have on it I don’t want on my laptop because I’ve already designated them as “phone only” (i.e., Instagram and the mobile versions of sites I visit frequently). That means I don’t want them on my laptop.

OTOH there are things on my laptop I’d never dream of putting on my phone. Google Drive, for example – I can see someone using it if they shuffle/share a lot of files, but I don’t. Ditto something like MS Office because I don’t write anything lengthy on my phone. I don’t put Tapatalk on my phone to access the Dope because I found it a PITA; ergo, I only post from my laptop. I don’t want ANY of this eating my phone bandwidth; ergo, they’re for my laptop and only for my laptop.

Windows 10 wants to merge both. FUCK YOU NO. A phone is a phone. A laptop or desktop is a laptop or desktop. Stop trying not to differentiate Microsoft :mad:

Win10 is a bit frustrating, but not as much as Win8.

Interface is less customizable than previous versions of Windows.

They still won’t bring back 16-bit (DOS) software compatibility, seems to be no good technical reason, it was back for a little while in 8.1. I think MS just wants people to buy new software and probably don’t want to support old software, but don’t they charge for tech support anyway? I have old DOS stuff I’d like to run, and I know about DOSBox and use it, but it’s clunky compared to a good ol’ Command Prompt.

A lot of privacy concerns.

By default MS uses your computer to help distribute Windows updates to other computers. :mad:

Start Menu still isn’t as useful as the Start Menu from XP or 7.

OP here, my last comment on this poorly titled thread. My question in my head was are you frustrated with the update 10586.

Have you tried running DOS in a VM? Both VMWare Player and VirtualBox are free, and both work well for me at running earlier versions of Windows, and I would assume they’d also run DOS if you booted it from a virtual floppy drive. The last time I looked, which I admit was several years ago, you could get DOS or a clone for free on the net, too.

Yeah, I don’t blame Microsoft for refusing to support 16 bit DOS programs and everything else they have ever created since they were founded. At some point, you just have to turn off the lights and close it down (if it was Apple, they would also have a bouncer on hand to throw you into the street with little warning). The people that truly need to run such things have tools available to make it work and can support it themselves. I am responsible for lots of really old software in a mega-corp. I am happy when some of it goes out of support because that means it will be easy to get funding to replace it with a more modern version instead of something that was cobbled together and has barely worked for the past 25 years.

I can’t update to Windows 10 because it’s not compatible with our corporate VPN, and I tend to work from home a lot.

Did you just now figure that out? :slight_smile:

Damn. They are using my bandwidth for that? I am particularly concerned about that when I use a satellite web connection in rural areas. The sat folks charge you and cut your bandwidth if you exceed their limits.

Vendors assume that we have unlimited bandwidth, damn their eyes.

My only serious problem with Windows 10 is, I can’t get it to understand that my laser printer has automatic two-sided printing. I realize it’s a driver problem, but I also can’t get it to install the HP version of the driver. It took me long enough just to get it to understand that it was a color printer.