Does windows 10 have you frustrated?

Did you yell at Cortana or upset her in any other way? If you make her mad, she will screw with your settings and tell Windows 10 not to listen to anything you tell it. The only fix is to talk nicely and softly to her for a few days until she calms down.

From this and posts you’ve made in other threads it seems you and I have the same expectations from Win 10, but I haven’t installed it yet. (I’ve been waiting for the free time.) What should I do before installing it? In particular I’m somewhat concerned about driver issues. What do you suggest I do to avoid those? I’m going to be upgrading from Win 7, on a Dell XPS.

I have a similar Dell. The install isn’t hard, it just takes a long time so make sure you are willing to stick around for the 3 hours or so it takes. Most of it is automated including the restarts (there are many) but there is the chance that it will require your approval for something before it proceeds to the next step. After my installation was done, everything worked except for my Logitech webcam and HP wireless printer. I had to download new drivers for the webcam and just manually set up the printer again.

I don’t like the default user interface because I hate all tiles but fixing that only requires blasting it by downloading ClassicShell referenced above. It has easy options to make it and act roughly like Windows 7 with Windows 10 functionality still available but you can tweak it infinitely to your heart’s content.

The only other thing you could consider is doing a full manual backup beforehand if your computer is especially important. I didn’t bother because most of my important files are in the Cloud anyway but that is up to you. The installation has a roll-back procedure of its own but it just depends on how careful you want to be.

Everything other than the time required is fairly minor and straightforward. Just pick an evening or weekend when you will be a around for a few hours, let it do its thing and then clean up any damage like driver incompatibilities after the fact. The default drivers for keyboard, video and mouse will work with almost anything so the only things you may true failures with are less critical peripherals that can be fixed after the install usually just through a simple download from the manufacturer’s website.

yes, there is a very good technical reason. when Intel designed the 80386, which was a full 32-bit CPU with memory protection, they also included an operating mode called “Virtual 8086 mode” for running 16-bit code. Windows has historically relied on Virtual 8086 mode to run DOS programs and 16-bit Windows code using the NTVDM (Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine.)

When AMD drew up the specs for x86-64, they removed the ability to access Virtual 8086 mode in a 64-bit operating system. So if you want to blame someone, blame AMD. Not Microsoft. 64-bit Windows simply cannot run 16-bit code without using an emulator.

Thank you–I appreciate the advice and other info you’ve posted.

Yep, this is how you disable it, but it pisses me off that sharing is on by default. Also seems like quite a security risk, great way to distribute malicious code to other computers if MS hasn’t properly secured the credentials and content of sharing computers.

Dammit AMD, I keep buying your processors, why did you screw me?

Still seems like MS could make an emulator better than DOSBox, but I’m sure it’s #50,000 on their priority list at at this point.

If we have an older PC laying about, we can’t get drivers because the old OS aren’t supported.

I used to like Windows 10 a lot. Then suddenly, windows updater stopped working, Edge stopped working, Cortana stopped working, Microsoft Store quit working. They all say they can’t find a network connection, yet all other non-microsoft products are using the network connection just fine.

posted from a Windows 10 computer using Chrome because Edge thinks the network doesn’t exist

Oh Sweet Jesus, a* fourth* browser my users will break things with!
Why me, oh Lord, why* me*?
:rolleyes:

The bugginess of the Windows 10 release is well known among the tech blogs. People were saying all the time that they couldn’t believe it was going to come out so early. There have been numerous articles about the problems people had with both the initial upgrade and the new build. (In fact, I’ve had more problems with the new build than with the initial Windows 10.)

The whole thing comes from a completely different development cycle. There is no longer any dedicated testing. It’s just developers testing their own stuff, and “Insiders” or beta testers, who are by definition not typical users. Windows 10 started being developed in 2014, and was released not much more than a year later. If you are in IT, you know this is a recipe for a lot more bugs.

User after user has run into bugs upgrading their systems. You can’t blame that on hardware that still works fine on Windows 7 or 8. The driver structure hasn’t changed (except for some new stuff in video–but the old drivers are supposed to be backwards compatible) Windows Vista drivers should still work on Windows 10. Despite the upgrade to kernel 10.0, it’s still iterations on the Vista 6.0 kernel under the hood. There’s a reason it was originally kernel 6.4.

The fact that you had to actually replace hardware is a problem. If it still works on Windows 7 and 8, it should still work on Windows 10. The whole point of Windows 10 is that it is an upgrade experience. You are not supposed to have to reinstall it from scratch or upgrade hardware to make it work.

And, to be honest, I don’t even have you on my mental list of Dopers with tech knowledge. But I would gladly put up my record of helping Dopers on tech problems to challenge any claim that I don’t know what I’m doing. Even those who call me stupid have not challenged my tech knowledge.

Maybe you’ve been lucky. Maybe you have a different threshold for what is and isn’t acceptable in a released operating system. But the Windows 10 upgrade experience is by far the worst I’ve ever had. The OS feels like one of those experimental Linuxes I sometimes try out.

It may just be coincidence but Windows 10 decided to do some updates today. Now my battery has run dead and it won’t charge on the ac adapter. I’m gonna try a new adapter but I have never had problems with the power supply until today. Kinda pissing me off since I can’t turn the damn thing on now.

I’ve generally had a great experience with Windows 10, though there are a few things I think they could have done a bit better.

My major gripe when upgrading from Windows 7, was the fact that MS didn’t provide a tool for increasing the system partition. If you didn’t have enough space for the partition (I believe Windows 7 had a lower default requirement), you would bump into an inevitable error, where you had to seek out 3rd party software to correct it. It’s not unbearable for more experienced or intuitive users, but it wasn’t something I felt like walking my mother through over the phone.

The other issue was the scaling, which didn’t work well (1440 display). There were ways around that, but as this previously worked fine, MS should’ve been on top of it.

Outside of those and others I probably forgot, I found the transition to be very pleasant, especially for an OS upgrade of this magnitude. I really expected more hiccups and such as an early adopter, but they just didn’t surface. I run a custom build, all of my hardware drivers were updated pretty quickly, everything worked on the first pass, it corrected some nagging issues from 7 and I haven’t had any critical issues, so far.

I installed Windows 10 on Thursday night and uninstalled it today, going back to 8. Even after trying a dozen suggestions on Microsoft’s website I couldn’t get connected to the internet. It kept saying an internet protocol was missing and nothing fixed the issue. I don’t like 8 but at least I can connect to the f’n internet!

Download the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer’s website before installing Windows 10.

I’ve had some serious problems since I installed 10.

At first, I liked the interface. I thought it was an improvement from 8, the things I needed were easier to find.

But then, I noticed that it had uninstalled my anti-virus Bitdefender, without notice. Worse, Windows Defender that was automatically installed kept on turning itself off. So I was basically without protection :eek:. I finally noticed a message at the bottom of a long list that indicated how to reinstall Bitdefender. Which I did.

Then, my wife, who hated 10, went back to 8.

And Bitdefender is missing again.

:mad:

I loathe the mindset behind Windows 10. I uninstalled the adware that was nagging me to update to Windows 10 and I’ve blocked all subsequent attempts to sneakily rewrite my OS without my permission, but even so I still have to deal with all the other bullshit attempts to coerce the world into accepting this bullshit. Just today I spent three hours trying to get a copy of Microsoft Office that would work on an older operating system for my mother, but Microsoft refuses to sell the product key, or to cancel an Office 2016 product key in exchange for an Office 2010 product key. And one day I know I will go through the same thing again, when Microsoft refuses to sell me any operating system except for the latest piece of shitware they’re peddling.

I believe that it is an evil plot to cause computers to work like cell phones.