Does your super market sell cookie dough?

I just saw one of the first episodes of Mythbusters where they put different kinds of premade cookie dough on the backseat of a hot car and watch it explode out of the packaging.

That made me think that buying cookie dough that’s ready to go in the oven is pretty convenient. But they don’t seem to sell it here in Holland. They do have stuff that you roll up and put in the oven to make croissants, though.

Does your super market sell cookie dough? Is it as useful as it sounds?

It’s incredibly common here in the United States. Basically every supermarket has it.

I grew up in Australia, and i don’t think i had ever seen pre-packaged cookie dough before i first traveled to Canada and the US.

As for usefulness, i’ve never used it myself, but i’ve seen other people use it, and it is incredibly easy. You just cut or break off pieces of dough of the appropriate size, put them on a cookie tray, and whack them in the oven.

They used biscuit dough. Quick, pre-made cite.

We have it everywhere, but it’s the biscuit dough that explodes as** Derleth **says. Is that what you meant?

Since this is about food, let’s move it to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Debatable. :smiley:

Not sure what the difference between a cookie and a biscuit is…

A cookie. A sweet dessert item, often including chocolate, usually not risen.

Biscuits. A bread item, usually risen with baking powder not yeast.

The baking powder causes the packed tubes to explode if they get hot. They are already somewhat pressurized in the tube, I don’t know if that is from the baking powder acting or they are just packed that way.

TriPolar’s got it, although the distinction can be confusing for some non-Americans, because in places like England and Australia, we use the term “biscuit” for what Americans refer to as cookies.

For all the people who have never had the pleasure of opening a pressurized tube of biscuit dough … ah, me. In theory you peel the paper away from the tube’s seam, and press the seam with the back of a spoon to break it. In practice, you usually end up whacking the tube against the edge of the counter until plffft! it opens and the spongy, live-seeming dough oozes out the crack like something from a horror movie.

Or you twist it slowly until it pops open and then you easily unroll the tube.

In actuality I bet a minority of the cookie dough makes it anywhere near an oven before being eaten.

Hey, get your secret camera out of my kitchen! :wink:

We use the Nestlé Tollhouse CC variety way too frequently–it’s so easy, it’s so good, it’s so gone. To the store… . :smiley:

So what do they call biscuits?

^^ Scones? Or is that a specific biscuit?

I’m always tempted to buy a chub of Nestlé Tollhouse Cookie Dough. But I say to myself, ‘Self, you can make them from scratch at home, and have walnuts in them to boot!’ So I don’t buy it. Then I don’t make them from scratch even though I have all of the ingredients.

Oh yeah, walnuts are de rigueur, all right. I wonder how well the little bags of walnut pieces would work if you shoved them into the Nestlé dough? My next experiment; I’ll keep you posted.

And for the record, the tube cookie dough is about 85-90% as good as scratch (nothing replaces scratch).

Burpo: Remember to toast the walnuts first. We like to use the halves, rather than the ‘baking pieces’.

Not only are tubes of dough for cookies, rolls and biscuits available everywhere here, but also tubes of pizza dough. it actually unrolls into a sheet that can be stretched out. Definitely not as good as home-made, but better than the cardboard-tasting commercial alternatives. Yeah, Americans are lazy.

Trader Joe’s sells pizza dough in bags. I can make pizza dough from scratch, but for $1.29 why bother? One bag of dough makes one 14" pizza or two calzones.