Does your super market sell cookie dough?

I think I saw America’s Test Kitchen use the pizza dough for some dish, recently. If it’s good enough for them… .

I forgot to mention THIS. 24 (6 x 4) cookies in a grid, pre-sized, break 'em off, disgustingly E-Z. Of course, that’s a tad more expensive than the tubes, which is a tad more expensive than scratch, but it’s not like they double the price with the added convenience. Johnny L.A. said it best, “…for $1.29 why bother?”

The only thing I worry about is the usual sodium content of these kinds of foods is really high–gotta keep tabs on the BP.

Britain and Australia don’t really have biscuits in the American sense.

Scones, as we know them, are similar to, but not really the same as American biscuits. Scones tend to be more doughy than American biscuits, and they are also sometimes sweetened a bit. American biscuits have more butter, so they tend to end up with a flakier, layered interior that you don’t generally get in British scones.

And while American biscuits are often served as part of regular meals (with savory dishes), British scones are almost exclusively served with sweet accompaniments, such as jam and cream.

What do you eat your country sausage gravy on?

As far as I can tell, the rest of the world has no exact equivalent, which boggles me. It’s also like, the one single facet of American culture that remains a mystery to the rest of the world. I’m glad we have one.

They don’t have that, either. Savages.

It is, now, but I don’t remember it existing when I was a child. (Ditto Cookie Dough Ice Cream.) Whereas biscuit dough in an “exploding” can definitely was, as was the dough for croissants/crescent rolls that may be like what the OP refers to.

One of the several huge differences between biscuits and cookies (as Americans use the terms) is that biscuit dough isn’t at all satisfying to eat raw.

And there is cookie dough simply intended to be eaten raw. Chunks of cookie dough are also included in some varieties of ice cream. Our national symbol should be a fat pimply eagle.

But it makes for a really satisfying “snowball fight” in mid-August, when all the biscuit tubes pop at once in the convenience store you work in and all the other clerks go out in the street and have at it!

Martha Stewart has cooking & baking shows on PBS. She’s famous for making complicated recipes look easy, but she often includes something simpler in each episode.

Last Saturday, I saw her make a lovely pear tart–using store-bought puff pastry!

^^ Lidia Bastianich, on all her Italian-cooking PBS shows, takes short-cuts like you wouldn’t believe: canned tomato sauce/paste, f’rinstance. Can’t say as I blame her; she says there’s no difference and I would assume she knows better.

Never once in my life of cookie making (since 1968) have I ever used walnut halves or toasted them first. Usually used raw pecan pieces.

Toasting them gives them a ‘better’ flavor. At least, I like it better. As for halves, I make big cookies. And The Missus likes big hunks of nut. Pecans (halves) are reserved for pie – and yes, I always toast them.

Sometimes I want cookies. Fresh baked cookies are the best, but I have a hard time resisting the urge to eat them all, so I just cut a couple of slices off the store bought tube, bake them up in the toaster oven, and put the remainder of the dough back in the freezer until the next time.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using packaged cookie or pizza dough. Both refrigerate well without needing preservatives or stabilizers or other chemicals.

As for that, you would have to be a really conscientious baker to insist on making your own puff pastry. It’s possible but it’s also a lot of work.

You can also buy bags of pre-shaped cookie dough in the freezer. Just put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven.