Doom 3 requirements

I bought my computer 6 months ago. When I got it, it was almost the best money could buy. My computer specs:

Windows XP Professional SP1
Intel P4 2.6GHz, 800MHz FSB
Asus P4C800 Intel i750
Asus V9560 GeForce FX 5600 Ultra
1GB PC3200 RAM

Guess what, the game plays reasonably smoothly only at 640x480 and at the lowest graphics quality. Still, when there are many enemies on screen, the game breaks up. On higher resolutions it is like watching a fucking slide show.

I thought maybe my computer is crap and I should drop it in a dumpster. But then I came accross a forum that said there’s no commercialy available computer that can play Doom at full resolution/graphics.

I have lots of other games. FarCry, Painkiller, Thief 3, Unreal Tournament 2004 to name a few. They all run exceptionaly well on my computer. Doom 3 runs like a dog.

id, you suck donkey balls. I demand my 1.5GB back.

Damn. That sounds like a powerful machine.

It’s absurd that there isn’t any machine that will run this game well. What do the system requirements on the software box say, anyway?

Darn, one of the biggest deciding factors in getting my laptop was to play D3.

P4 3GHz 1GB ram, Nvidia Geforce GO 5700

Wow. Your computer handles Painkiller exceptionally well and Doom 3 still fucks up - even on ‘economy’ settings? Wow. I mean, I knew I’d have to upgrade mine before I could enjoy it [mine is an entire YEAR old and can only hack Painkiller and UT04 on lower settings] but it now sounds like I’d have to drop unspeakable thousands to get a machine that would play Doom 3 on the high resolutions I crave. :frowning:

Lobsang, if that laptop of yours hates on D3 I will personally carve off my big toe.

Minimum requirements
DX 9.0 compatible 3D card w/ 64MB RAM*
MS Windows 2000/XP
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon XP 1500+
384 MB RAM
8x CD-ROM
2.2 GB of HD space
Broadband (for multiplayer)

*Supported 3D Graphics chipsets:
ATI: Radeon 8500, 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
NVIDIA: GeForce 3, GeForce 4MX, GeForce 4 Titanium, GeForce FX, GeForce 6
From here: http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

What a load of balooney! If my computer cannot play the game reasonably well, then I can’t imagine how is it going to play on a P4 1.5GHz with a GeForce 3 graphics card.

I am expecting Halflife 2 to give Doom a good kick in the ass.

This is why I have given up on computer gaming. I’ve always hated having to keep up with the jonses, as it were. It seems that every time I get a new computer, games run well for about 6 months or so, then I have to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

The only two things that kept me coming back were online FPS’ers and the wider availbilty of titles compared to consol systems. Now that I can no longer play those new titles, I’m going to stick to my PS2. It has online support, and some good games.

Of course, I say this every six months, until I go and get a new computer. Then the cycle starts all over again. I know if they ever make Diablo III or Fallout III, I wil;l have a new computer.

We all know they’ve got pentium 100s sitting in the factory waiting for the company to milk all is worth from the 4, then the 5, then the 6 etc… that they actually developed 20 years ago.

Gaming has almost always been the driving force behind personal computer upgrades. 3GHz machines are not needed for typing a letter or figuring out the family budget using Excel. I’m staying about a year behind the current killer app in terms of software and hardware purchases. It might be boring when it comes to discussing new games with people but it sure saves me plenty of money. Oh well, off to play another game of No One Lives Forever.

Hmm…maybe my graphics card is to blame. I searched some forums and people with ATI Radeons say that they can play the game well.

I just finished Doom 3. I have it on the highest settings, except for antialiasing and v sync are off.
It runs fine.
AMD 2 Ghz 333 mhz FSB
1.5 GB RAM (333 FSB)
Radeon 9600 pro 256 MB
I disconnected from the internet, shut down zone alarm and shut down anything that had to do with norton anti virus. I also restarted my computer just before I would do all of the shutting down and play. Once or twice when I was attacked by like 4 flying things and a ground creature it slowed down when they were on top of me, but that wasn’t every session, just once in a while.

If you have a dual monitor system, turn it off. That’s a small glitch Doom 3 has with the few that actually go dual monitor. Doom 3 actually runs surprisingly well for its graphics… there’s got to be some minor snafu holding you back. I’d recommend browsing through some dedicated gamer forums.

Looks like you should have shopped around a bit more. A 5600? The ‘best money could buy’?

You should have spent less on the P4 and got an ATI 9800 Pro.
BTW, I’ve tried playing this on an AMD 2000+ with a MX 440 GFX card in 640x480 and it’s just perfect. DOOM III is the only game I know that has come out recently that allows you to play it on almost every machine sold in the past 2/3 years.
Minimum requirements
DX 9.0 compatible 3D card w/ 64MB RAM*
MS Windows 2000/XP
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon XP 1500+
384 MB RAM
Let’s see Half Life 2 try to do that. I’ll be impressed if it does but surprised.

Has anyone tried playing D3 with a videocard NOT listed? I have everything except the videocard (I have a GeForce 2 256 GTS).

Does Doom detect the chip and only run with the newer videocards listed?

Dang, I really don’t want to drop another $500 for the FX, my GTS has taken on all other games up until now and it’s 2 years old!

First of all, that is not the “best money can buyy,” even six months. You were had.

Second of all, Doom3 is running perfectly smoothly for me on “high” using a computer I built myself two months ago.

Win XP
AMD64 2800+
ASUS K8V Se deluxe
GeForce FX 5900xt
1 GB PC3200 RAM

Lastly, the game looks spectacular even on the “low” setting.

If your computer is chugging while running Doom3, check for spyware, and try closing applications that are running which you do not need.

Just a few months ago I built a new machine so I could get in on all of the wonderful gaming goodness that’s coming down the pipeline these days… it’s an Opteron machine with 1GB RAM, the 9800XT… pretty nice, but getting certain games to run even on that hardware could be a pain sometimes.

I concur with a lot of the ideas being tossed about by everyone else, but noticed that no one mentioned driver issues. There have been quite a FEW games that had me racking my brain troubleshooting lags/crashes/etc that turned out to be simple driver issues. Especially with the Catalyst drivers, sometimes it seems they add something a new game requires at the expense of BREAKING something an older game requires. I specifically remember having to roll back my drivers to play SW:KOTOR because any time I was on an outdoor level with an open area it turned into a damn slideshow.

It can be infuriating, I know. Best bet, as mentioned before, is to check gaming forums and see if other people are having the same issues. SOMEONE out there probably has the exact same hardware you do, and has it all figured out. Finding the information is the tough part.

Good luck!

I said almost the best money could buy. If we compare it to a water-cooled double-Xeon its crap obviously.

It is a 5600 Ultra. DirectX 9.0 compatible (a plain 5600 isn’t). It is supposedly 33% faster than a plain 5600.

It seems like the graphics card was a bad choice. I had a Geforce 2 card some years ago and I was really pleased with it. So I wanted to buy nVidia again. But ATI cards 6 months ago were cheaper and better. That Asus 5600 Ultra had costed me almost as much as a higher end ATI card.

i would suggest going to the planetdoom forums ----technical and checking out some posts. you should be able to run on high at 1024x768 with no AA. i have a system almost the same as yours except it is 512 ram and a radeon 9800 and am running it on high with v-sync and triple buffering no AA and the game no choppiness , smooth as butter. i had some problems but just updated my drivers for vid card and turned off everything by going to msconfig.exe the services tab check hide all microsoft processes and then uncheck all that are left. from there do the same with the start tab and restart. don’t froget to switch everything back on when through playing also if you want i can email you a small application called gamegain which has worked wonders for me. let me know if you want it it is only 900kb or so.

By the way, how are the graphics?

The screenshots are almost worthless when judging Doom 3; The graphics look much better than the screenshots.

-Awsome lighting. (Haha, when the sick-fuck level designers decide to actually use lighting!) Little things like flourecent light fixtures that swing around when you bump them are pretty cool, and have a neat effect on the lighting.

-Awesome ‘shining’ surfaces, like guts and these these goofy ‘gut walls’. Look really nice.

-The critter animations are damned fine. (When you can see them, that is. Dark as the ace of spades, I tell you.)

-There is a mini-hack out to ‘duct tape’ your flashlight to your weapons, which improves the game greatly, IMO. Damn, half the fun is watching one of those staggering zombies come at you, marveling at the incredible detail of them. Normally, it’s too frigging dark to do that.

-Oh, by the way, it’s dark. How dark? Close your eyes. See how dark that is? Pfft. Broad-fucking-daylight compared to the light-misers in Doom 3.

[Python]

“Gor, you had a Motolola 8086, running at 10 Mhz with 64K? We’d have loved to have one of those, I can tell you, we had to make do with an battery-powered abacus from Bulgaria…”

[/Python]