Doom 3 requirements

No, Windows just sucks at efficient memory management. If you have ‘Let windows gobble up a bunch of diskspace and manage my virtual memory selected’, the damned beastie will take the space. (Well, kinda.) 2mb is just the smallest you can make a XP swap file and still have a swap file.

It sounds like you have two (under the setting page, it lists one on C and one on D?) Sounds like windows just created a ‘recommended size’ (RAMx1.5) swap on each drive. Fuck that. Just get rid of one, if nothing else. 3 gig of swap is nutty. 1 1/2 gig of swap is nutty, but only half as much.

Now I admit, I am of the old school, and don’t trust ‘let Windows manage whatever’ to anything except the Kerry campaign (ZING!) My advice may not be pertinant to todays virtual memory management. But unless you are using gobs of memory (running graphics editors or big databases or something), I like having a fixed size swapfile on a freshly defraged drive (If I am to have one at all!). That ensures that the disk chunk allocated to the swap file is contiguous, and maximizes performance.

Shrug

Just wanted to pop in to tell Dog80 to keep tweaking: the game should be running great on your system.

It may end up being a video card thing, though. My system is similar to yours, but older:

Windows XP Pro SP1
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 GB PC3200 RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB)

I’m running Doom3 at 1024x768, High detail settings, AA and AF off. I’m getting 30 FPS in the time demo and about 40-45 FPS in-game, dropping a little if more than a few monsters show up.

I’ll cast another vote for new drivers - I had the game crash on me three times in the first ten minutes, then downloaded the new Catalyst drivers and it’s been running smooth ever since. I have not installed the Beta 4.9s that are designed specifically for Doom3 yet, but I might just to see if they improve anything.

I hope you can get it running smoothly, because the game WILL scare you (especially if you play it at night with the sound cranked like I do!) :wink:

None of this is true. Linux will run just fine without any swap as long as you don’t allocate more virtual memory than you have available physical memory. Also, Linux can swap from a regular file as well as from a partition.

Perhaps you should refer to more recent documentation before posting technical advice, as it’s rather unlikely that anyone reading this board today is actually running a 1.0 kernel.

Windows will run without a swapfile, but it complains if you ask it to use a primary swap file smaller than real memory because Windows (like its conceptual predecessor, VMS) uses the primary swapfile to write a crash dump in the event of a system halt; it can’t do this if the primary swapfile is smaller than real memory. Since these crash dumps are of essentially no use (you have to be a Windows kernel wizard to make any use of them, which means the only use you’ll ever have for them is to send the dump to Microsoft for analysis, which you won’t be doing unless you have a Premium Platinum support contract or something), it’s generally safe to ignore Windows complaining about the swap file being too small.

Just finished it. Without giving anything away: It was a goddamned waste of time, reinforcing the ‘great engine/terrible game’ line of thinking.

Fuck. I could have been playing Joint Ops

I must warn you, you *may or may not have * been dead during the 90’s.

Looks like somebody is angry at me :wink: It was SuSe Linux version 4 and the kernel was 2.2 or 2.3 IIRC.

Haven’t finished the game yet, but so far I don’t like the way monsters are spawned. 80% of the times you pick up an armor or medpack, a monster will spawn. It becomes very predictable after a while. Also I hate when monsters come out of niches in the wall. Not realistic at all.
Finally the level design so far (Communicatons) is too repetitive. I guess it will be like that till the end of the game :frowning:

They need to take lessons on Level Design 101 from Valve, the makers of Halflife

After communications, you hit some sections of levels that are such blatant Halflife ripoffs that the mind boggles at their presence. Sad.

Man, I’ve been running pretty wellon my Athlon1.7/512MB/radeon 9800se. I’m afraid I don’t feel very sorry for youse guys, as I’d love to have a PC like yours.

It’s OK that its a rip as long as its a good rip. Which it is.

Though the ever-behind me Imps get annoying.

Most annoying enemy though - tentacle marines. Grrrrr…!

lol. Actually, during the first half of the 90’s I was in High School, and sadly didn’t have a computer. Then, when I got to college in 95, while you were playing doom or duke nukem, I was playing Marathon 2 on the Mac and scoffing at you. Sad, I know. But I have since seen the error of my ways. That’s right, I bought a PC version of Marathon.

It’s funny, after each level was done I would say to my fiance “that was fun, and all, but it still feels like a blatant rip-off of Half-Life.” My only solace was that maybe Half-Life was a rip-off of earlier Doom games, since this one was a rehash of the older ones, but alas, I really was dead to computing in the 90’s, so I can’t be sure.

Switch to shot gun, let him charge you, and duck at the right time. Put 2 shots in his crotch and you’ll kill him without ever getting hit.

Well, I just got Doom 3 and it runs just fine…quite smooth, although not flawless, but I average around 25-30 fps in most situations. With lots of crap on screen it sometimes slows to around 16-17 fps, but not too often.

I don’t exactly have a rampaging machine, either:
AthlonXP 1700+ overclocked to 1900+
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB
512MB RAM
Soyo Dragon Plus mobo
etc
etc

I run the game at 800x600 at high quality, 8x aniso filtering, all options on.