Dopefest Etiquette

There looms a Dopefest in Southern California which I am hoping to attend. Now, being a painfully shy individual, and not a particularly social one (due to said bashfulness), I’m not sure how to act at one of these functions. OTOH, I don’t want to miss out on meeting my fellow Dopers.
If I just kinda stand around in the shadows, am I going to be perceived as a snob? Is there usually a sitdown-type of dinner or just folks mingling? Should I bring something? I’m also kinda hoping that this isn’t an opportunity for people to “network” in the business sense, but rather just a chance for individuals to hang and get to know each other.
Any advice for me? I’d really appreciate it.

Though I’m far from shy, I am attending my first ChiDope later this month, and I have no idea what to expect (other than Omni asking me about vibrators.) I certainly expect it to be like your second description - “a chance for individuals to hang and get to know each other.”

Advice? Uh, drink excessively? :wink:

Ok, this really depends on the meeting itself. Us Chicago types worked hard at developing a reputation for drunken debauchery and we’re proud of it, but from what I hear, the other Dopes can be more mellow. So, until you get a feel for where it’s being held, etc it’s sort of hard to say.

I can say though that all the people I’ve met have been quite friendly. Yes, we drank and some drank a lot, but if you don’t drink, no one is going to make you. Likewise for conversation. I notice that a lot of the pre-drinking conversation was rapid fire bon mots and joking put downs and if you’re not the fastest wit (not stupid, just not quick witted with clever retorts), you might feel a little outgunned and afraid to speak. Don’t worry, people loosen up a little and I’m sure you’ll find other folks to speak with. Try to cycle through them all and I’m sure you’ll find some redeeming quality in each of them :wink: I don’t think you’ll be thought of as a snob for being a little aloof, but if you don’t talk to people you’re sort of missing out on the point of gathering up Dopers.

Every DopeFest I’ve attended has been held at a bar or dining establishment. If someone is having it in their backyard or the local forest preserve, I certainly hope it’s well planned enough that you know beforehand to bring some macaroni salad. Having it at a bar or dinner means that you at least have your meal/drink to focus on if you’re feeling a little intimidated. No business networking goes on, it’s just fun, conversation and perhaps the chance to watch otherwise respected Dopers do REALLY stupid or embarassing things. Sometimes you can make a dollar in the process.

I don’t know your situation. If you suffer from some sort of severe shyness or disorder, I don’t want to belittle your abilities. But if you just feel like you’re a little socially inept, I say don’t sweat it. I can’t think of a more friendly environment to practice your “party skills”, so to speak such as making conversation, meeting people and feeling comfortable in a crowd. If you go and you just HATE it, you can always duck out and besides a possible “Poohpah had to leave early” in the offical meeting minutes, I doubt anyone will even think of commenting on it.

Ok, I like the sound of this.

Uh, meeting minutes? :confused:

Yeah, porcupine, minutes. As in “Omni & porcupine disappeared, and a knock on their door produced only a steady bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound from within. I sure hope they weren’t being attacked by killer bees.”

:wink:

Jophiel just about summed it up. I’m about to start shaking the hustings to get my 14th Doper meeting together and I’ll add that I was quite apprehensive about my 1st, 2nd, 3rd…

Somebody noted that previous meetings have been largely in bars, which excludes younger Dopers. That’s not a problem if noted in the gathering thread. That’s not your problem. Just meeting some strangers in a neutral public place is no big deal and I’ll bet, based on my limited experience, any and all who actually show up will welcome you. We’ve had a variety of personalities pass through the HouDope gatherings and the other city gatherings I’ve attended and the general rule of thumb is - if you show, you’re OK!

Just 'cuz I’ll be sober DOES NOT MEAN I’LL TAKE MINUTES!

Well, maybe. But only if you people get real embarassing.

Apparently, if you attend a Dopefest with Satan, the first one that arrives has to record the minutes.

Or maybe he just pulled one over on me…

Aw, nobody will think you’re a snob, especially after they’ve read this! I’m a somewhat shy person, well not shy exactly but it takes me a while to feel comfortable around people and I’ve found it helps me to be the first one there. That way, I can meet 'n greet the first two or three people there on a more personal level and get my confidence going. Way less intimidating than walking into a room with half a dozen or more people who already know each other.

The only Doper’s fest I’ve been to was only four people, and I think we had a great idea by going to an amusement park. The rides gave us something fun to do and an instant conversation starter. Riding the roller coaster a few times together definately broke the ice!

Poopah,
A Dopefest is the perfect venue for working on getting over your shyness. Every Doper I’ve met has been very nice, polite and great to talk to. I think converstionality (love them big words :smiley: ) is a (generally) shared quality of the posters here.
But the most important part of your OP is this:

I’m going to give you the best advice I can give anyone - I hope you take it to heart.

No matter where you are or what you’re doing - always be yourself. Never put on an “act” for anybody else’s benefit. Unless your an asshole - then try to act nice. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. :slight_smile: