Dopers & Dogs, Dogs & Dopers

I have one dog, a year-old female Cardigan Welsh corgi named Crease.

I am a member of Corgi-L - an e-mail list for corgi owners.

What kinds of dogs do other Dopers have?

Most common question I ask: “What?”
Most common question I get: “Are you really hearing impaired?”

We don’t have one just yet, but plan on getting an Airdale (sp?)

“She’s nothin but a little lyin’ ass bitch… I know she says she loves you but you know she don’t care…”

An Airedale? ::shudder:: I hope you know what you are getting into.

Some of the best dogs I have ever met were plain old mutts. Purebreds can have a lot of behavioral and health problems (hip degeneration, cancer, eye problems, skin, etc). If you get a purebred, be sure you are aware of these things before you buy.

“Love given when it is inconvenient is the greatest love of all. Kindnesses that are shared at a high cost to oneself are the most dear.”

Don’t know who said it, but I like it.

We’re going to get a basenji! (Boy, the cats are gonna be pissed!)

“What’s a basenji?”

They’re African hounds, and they don’t bark. They’re the size of cocker spaniels, but they’re built like deer, and they have wrinkly foreheads. You can see pictures of them and stuff at www.basenji.org .

The Cat In The Hat

Two dachshunds, both spayed females (I never get that right – you spay females, right?). One black, one red.

The red one, Missy, is nine years old, very well-behaved, pretty smart for a dachshund (not the brightest breed in the kennel).

The black one, Riley, is one year old, gets into the garbage, chews on library books (she’s cost me $30 in fines, so far) and bites your toes.

Wouldn’t trade either one of them for anything in the world. They don’t need an allowance, they don’t date, they come when you call them. (Did I mention that I have teenagers at home as well?)

“The departure of the church-going element had induced a more humanitarian atmosphere.”
Dorothy L. Sayers
Clouds of Witness

We have a four year old blond cocker spaniel.

He is pretty good, but he is quite hyper. Fixing him did nothing.

Jeffery

One year old black Lab. Great breed.

6-Year old male dachsund. He is a gorgeous reddish brown. Big Floppy ears. His name is Nathan(Famous Frank). He is the baby of the house. Sometimes I wonder if he knows he’s a dog. He is generally good, tho he occasionally goes thru speration anxiety if left alone and leaves a surprise or two on the kitchen floor. But we love him. He is a great protector(at least he tries) of my boys and the house in general.
He is the best fly-hunting dog I have ever seen.

so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. what’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Tori Amos

Had a German sheapherd, nice the most wonderful dog and a friend I ever had.

Unforgiven

Our pets are like children to my husband and I. Cards are signed “…and the kids”.

Twelve years ago we picked up a six week German Shepherd/Great Dane mix from the Humaine Society. Named him Larry. He’s the greatest except for one thing: he was too loney when we were at work. Devising ways to keep him put and happy when left alone earned him the name Larry Houdinini (sp?) as he would escape from ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

So, when he was a year and half (and had eaten several parts of the house) we picked up an eight week female German Shepherd. Named her Samantha.

I live in the sticks and they are great company when my husband is not home. Of course, they are both now seniors (when did that happen?).

In addition to the dogs I also have two cats. Not intentional, but they were abandoned and being the softie that I am, had to rescue them. The animals out number the people two to one.

Part English Short Hair, part Coyote.

Jeffrey, I also am the proud owner of a blonde cocker spaniel. Her name (earning me no points for originality) is Lady. She is the embodiment of the stereotypical blonde – beautiful and with a heart of gold, but not a brain in her attractive little head.

Well since im in an apartment I don’t have anything yet. But as soon as we buy a house I’m gonna go down to the pound and buy the biggest cutest doggy I can find. I think I’d like to hug a bull mastiff or something like that!

Frankie-Love them big dogs.

We always thought we were Big Dog People until we got our Smooth Fox Terrier. Years ago we had a lovely Golden Retriever, Gus – a wonderful dog, but bad timing. We got him when our son was 9 months old – and about 2 months before our daughter was born. Doe was three months premature and, due to a long hospital stay out-of- state and then all the time-consuming preemie baby stuff, we weren’t able to do for Gus like we should have. We found a nice couple with no kids and a lonely Black Lab and they adopted Gus.

Then, about 3 years ago, we tried again – this time with a Cheasapeake Bay Retriever (Otter) who was EXTREMELY aggresive. We made no headway with him, despite Puppy and Obediance Classes. Finally, he knocked Doe down (crutches and all) and drug her around the back yard by her toe. Exit Otter.

Then a little over a year ago, we were driving around some back roads and saw a sign “Fox Terrier Puppies For Sale.” Went in – just to look, of course! – and came home with our black and white Max. He was 6 weeks old when we brought him home and he fit into our family like a hand into a glove. We are now Small Dog Converts!

Jess

Full of 'satiable curtiosity

Main dog: A male Great Dane/Boxer mix. Pushing 13 years old, very arthritic and hard of hearing but otherwise doing fine. He’s my best buddy (even lasted longer than my wife)and he gets anything he needs, and most things he wants.

Emergency backup dog: A female Australian shepherd mix. Very affectionate and smart. She’s a great dog.

They make a great pair – a big, rough and tumble brute and a (relatively) small pal. By the way, I heartily reccomend having at least two dogs if you possibly can, instead of one. With their natural pack orientation, they’re so much happier with another dog around. And it takes a lot of pressure off you to entertain them every minute of the day.
– Greg, Atlanta

We had a mutt. His name was J.R. and I’m still not sure exactly what he was.

One thing was certain, though. He was HAIRY. Hair in his eyes, hair down to the ground. He looked like a huge, shaggy dust mop. He also had a nice, laid-back attitude and didn’t bark at all.

Good dog. I miss him.
– Sylence

“The problem with reality is the lack of background music.” – Anon

We’ve got Jimmy, the black lab/Aussie shep mix.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

I’ve got a mutt that arrived on the farm collarless in the middle of a cold February a couple years back. Got him nuetered and shots and dubbed him Sea Biscuit. Great dog but every vet or tech that’s ever seen him tells me he’s a cross between such and such, none of their opinions agree.

Back when I was younger the family raised a Cheasepeake Bay Retriever from a puppy, it’s parents were owned by family friends. Never had much problem at all with it and lived to the ripe old age of 16 years. My father did a lot of duck hunting and trained it extensively though. Could just be a breed that needs quite a bit of attention.

Two boxers – Ginger, the fawn girl and Skipper, the brindle boy. They’re both just over a year old and can be wild as bucks. Wonderful, sweet, loving dogs – just a little undisciplined (my fault).

Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars.

Had 2 cockers until last August 11, when my little red Sophie had to move on from this life, 3 months shy of her 17th birthday.

I still have Rufus, who is himself nearly 17 years old, but much more sprightly and energetic than she was, which is why I’m trying to get my hands on a “rescue” Golden Retriever. I’ve been thinking about what kind of dogs I wanted next for a long time, and GR was it, but I concluded that I did not want to deal with the puppy thing while Rufus is still with us. I know he’d really like a friend, I just don’t think he’d be too crazy about a bundle of out of control energy bugging him all the time. So I’m trying to find a nice housebroken girl who needs a home. Then, after Rufus leaves us, I’ll get a Golden puppy.

stoid
who will not live in a house wihtout dogs