Double Dutch

Does anyone still play Double Dutch. I don’t ever see kids out on the sidewalk playing like they did years ago. It seemed like a natural activity when I was a child, but I’ve begun to wonder whether it was just a fad.

Also, I can’t remember most of the rhymes we used to chant while playing Double Dutch. I can remember ones that were used in other games, but sometimes were imported to Double Dutch, like “Engine, engine number nine…” But as to rhymes used only in Double Dutch, I can only remember fragments, like:

Oooo, she thinks she’s fine

Walkin’ down that fine line.

My, she think she’s bad

Puttin’ on her maxi pad…

Does anyone else remember the rhymes they played the game with?

I AM Dutch, but I’m wondering here just what the hell Double Dutch is.

WAIT !! I know. I think it’s that skipping-a-rope-but-then-with-two-ropes thingie… am I right ?

O well… the kids still do it here, although more in the country than in the cities.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

My Mama told me
If I was good
She’d buy me rubber dolly
With cheeks so red

She went to the Army
Got killed in the war
Now no more rubber dollies
Forevermore

::remembering back from 3rd grade, rural Georgia elementary playground, 1966::

Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post

My elementary school actually had a jump rope team, which I was on (fifth grade: 1991-92?). I don’t remember any of the jump rope songs, but I know all the clapping songs (Ms. Susie, etc.) which we sometimes used for double dutch. Come to think of it, none of the little girls that I babysit play jump rope anymore. Kinda sad.

Cessandra

My Homepage Updated 9/30/99!
The RHPS: Website For Virgins Updated 9/28/99!

“Double Dutch” had nothing to do with jumping rope in my child hood, but was a made up language, like pig latin, except you inserted an “ub” before every vowel syllable, rather than the reversed “ay” in pig latin. I was quite chagrined when what I grew calling “double dutch” appeared on public television in the kid’s series “Zoom,” but referred to as “ubbi dubbi.”

Ub-eye gub-ess thu-bats thu-buh wubbay thu-buh buh-ball buh-bounce-ub-ez.

SoxFan59
“Its fiction, but all the facts are true!”

WTF ???

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Well, it’s nowhere NEAR single Dutch, if you ask me…

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

I have heard of the word game called Double Dutch, but I’ve never known anyone who actually played it. The version I heard of, you didn’t just insert -ub, you replaced all consonants with double consonants, seperated by a schwa:

b = bub
c = cuc
d = dud
…ect.

Wasn’t there some pseudo funk song in the 80’s about “the double dutch bus” kind of along the same lines as White Horse?

Just add water, it makes it’s own sauce!

Mr. Angel:

Could you give a phonetic example of your version of the “Double Dutch” word game? I’m not sure I understand it.

SoxFan59
“Its fiction, but all the facts are true!”