Dr. Brian May of Queen adds"Sir" to his list of titles

Well now I’ve seen everything. Sir Rock Star indeed! 'Tis come to a pretty pass when these drug-addled reprobates, each competing for the honor of Most Degenerate, Wanton, Foul-smelling and Debauched Libertine of their particularly vapid and purposeless tribe, may be so honoured, a boon once granted to only the most dashing, undaunted, stouthearted fellows, now so devalued as to be equated to a face-slap to generations of the Noble who once did represent the Best of the Realm, now forced to keep company with the Shiftless Loutocracy whose Art consists of brazen preening on the Public stage before the mindless masses, worshiping on the altar of the Loud, the Crass, the Vulgar, the Inelegant, Rude, Churlish and Witless, now elevated to a once-exalted platform, coin-of-the-realm deflated to its current sad posture, a once-proud Empire now a pariah, a tragic acknowledgement of a wrecked ship of state - if we are to proceed along this path, we should at least be honest and change the Honorific - if there is to be a Sir Brian May, then make it “Slur” Brian that we may at least share the joke with the world!

Is this supposed to be a parody of something?

Aye! 'Tis parody! Of any society that bestows titulars upon random of its citizenry. Give 'em medals, plaques, cash awards. But adding a Sir in front of their name? We don’t do that here in the USA, otherwise where does it end? Sir Ted Nugent?

Can I have some of what you’ve been drinking?

Are you unfamiliar with the huge list of famous singers/actors who have been knighted? What is your deal?

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your Instagram account.

Also, a lot of astrophysicists have been knighted before. Maybe that’s what Hatchie is complaining about? Degenerate, wanton, foul-smelling and debauched could apply to either musicians or astrophysicists.

In space, nobody can smell your underwear.

In space, there is no underwear; or so George Lucas told Carrie Fisher.

Well, Eyebrows, how many Knights have been Actored or Singered? About time someone did that!

Yeah, that totally makes sense.

(Slowly backs away…)

Doesn’t this make him practically the king of Queen?

Gladys Knight and Christopher Knight.

has anyone in queen had anything scandalous come out or anything? I mean other than some parties Freddy used to have back in the day which may or may not have been cocaine-fueled (the band said others brought it they never partook and it was always exaggerated anyhow ) they seem pretty clean

They might not have been big on drugs but I think Freddy at least made up for it with sex and rock and roll.

Speaking as a big fan of the band since I was in high school, in the late '70s – other than Freddie’s partying (and, at the time, speculation about his sexuality), there was little or nothing in the way of any scandals. The four of them were close friends, and stuck together; when Freddie became ill, the other three rallied around him, and (at Freddie’s request) did not publicly discuss his health until the end.

John Deacon, the band’s bassist, stepped away from public life in 1997, and no longer performs with the band; he now has little contact with Brian and Roger, other than his involvement financial decisions regarding the band (which all three of them control), but that seems to be by John’s own choice, simply wanting to live a quiet life.

Are they still making decent money from royalties, music sales, performing etc.?

@Elendil_s_Heir That is my understanding, yes. The band was able to get control of their management and finances fairly early on, and it seems like they’ve been able to wisely nurture it – from what I’ve read, John, in particular, has been responsible for making the financial decisions.

Brian and Roger were directly involved in the making of the Bohemian Rhapsody film (and got John’s approval for the film, as well), which helped to spark new interest in Queen, and they’ve likely made good money from licensing their music for commercial use: “I Want to Break Free” and “Don’t Stop Me Now,” in particular, seem to get used frequently in advertising.

Brian and Roger have made several successful concert tours as Queen in the last decade, partnering with Adam Lambert as their vocalist. If I remember correctly, Brian recently commented that they’re looking at doing one more tour with Lambert.

Ah, good, thanks.

Huh, I hadn’t realized that they were still actively performing as Queen. Any new material, or just replaying their classics?