Dr. Who 05/12: The Doctor Dances ...Every week I am enjoying this show more.

That was a great conclusion to the story arc. I really am enjoying this series more than any new Sci-Fi series I have seen since the first few years of X-files or when I discovered Red Dwarf.

It was fun to see the Doctor so happy at the end. He has been largely morose through this regeneration.
The London Doctor, being confronted by his patient: {the general dialogue}
Mrs Harcourt “ I only had one leg when I came to you”
Dr. Constantine “Are you quite sure you didn’t miscount?”
The male competition with sonic tools was very funny.

“Don’t drop that banana……………………It is a good source of Potassium”

The Bicycle line was great. It was in reply to Rose saying the Doctor was grinning like Father Christmas and he replies “Who says I’m not the one that deliver your bike when you were 12?”
The actress who played Nancy was very good. Her name is Florence Hoath.

Jim

Good episode, with a touching ending all around

GO TO YOUR ROOM!

I first saw her in Fairy Tale: A True Story in which she starred alongside the eighth Doctor, Paul McGann. She is excellent in that movie too, as are the whole cast in fact. (But then, it’s got Harvey Keitel and Peter O’Toole and Tim McInnerny, so how can you go wrong?)

“Who says I’m not red bike when you were twelve.” Great line. Great ep overall, even if I did figure out the nanogene thing about ten minutes in. I was grinning like a dork by the end.

Being a Trekker as well as a long time Whovian, I’m constantly looking at the similarities and the differences. One thing that many people keep bringing up about Trek is lack of queers. :wink:

In this ep of Doctor Who, we get two! Well, one and a trisexual. Nancy got away from the homeowner because she knew his “dirty” little secret. The Doctor says Captain Jack has a way with certain guys and implies to Rose that Humans in the future will try anything sexual.

Interesting. Has the Doctor commented on homosexuality before?

This two parter was perhaps one of the best eps of any of the Doctors that I have ever seen. I’m going to hate to see #9 leave.

One thing about the ninth Doctor though: The clothes. The Doctor has always been a flamboyant dresser, and now he’s just gone for a minimalist look. Depression over the death of Gallifrey?

Oh, I loved this ep when I first saw it on CBC last fall.

“Come on, you clever little nanogenes… figure it out!!”

“Everybody Lives! I could use more days like this one.”

Nice episode, though not the best of this season so far (I’d go with “Dalek” for the way it upended our expectations).

AFAIK, this was only the second Dr. Who episode where no one actually died (not counting those who might have been hit by bombs but had no place in the narrative. I may be forgetting something, but the only other one I can think of was “The Edge of Destruction” in the very first season. “The Hand of Fear” might qualify, since the alien race dies long before the adventure, but there may have been someone killed in the attack on the power station.

I think there have been others … “The Mind Robber” probably counts (unless you count the computer as being sentient), and I have a vague feeling that no one actually dies in “The Savages” … come to think of it, I also vaguely recollect that all the victims in “Fury from the Deep” get better at the end of it. There might also be some Peter Davison-era things with a zero body count, but I’m not sure, off the top of my head.

Wasn’t the aliens rebuilding a person when “they’ve never seen a human before” used in a Star Trek episode? One with Captain Pike? Or am I getting my shows all jumbled up?

I loved this episode. Odd thing is, if I had read a description of it, it would have seemed too sappy for me. For some reason, it worked.

Part of it is that it was so well executed and the acting (Nancy was fantastic) and script were great. Another part is the timing. Having a happy episode right on the heels of one of the creepiest episodes of TV ever just worked for me.

You have it right. The Talosians had never seen a Human, so the real Vina was disfugured, tho healthy. Also, TNG had several eps featuring nanites.

I hadn’t ever realised how many DW eps have deaths in them. So I tried to think of some that didn’t. The Ark In Space came to mind, but then I remembered someone dies in it. *The Sontoran Experiment? * Dead guy. The Two Doctors? Death. Terror of the Zygons? Death. Candyman? Death. Ya gots Rastellon Warrior robots, Tractators, Daleks, The Master, The Rani, … Goodness. What a lot of death!

;j <----- Tom Baker, Doctor # 4

My reference books seem to confirm nobody dies in “Fury from the Deep” … I’m not sure we see any on-screen deaths in “The Sensorites”, either, although the mysterious “plague” afflicting the aliens does presumably cause some casualties.

Still trying to remember the weirder Peter Davison ones - what was the body count from “Kinda”, “Snakedance”, or “Terminus”, for instance? I have a feeling it’s comparatively low …

(I could also point out that “The Celestial Toymaker” and “Castrovalva” technically include no real people at all, so any “deaths” in those are purely illusory … )

Apart from those, though, Doctor Who does have a fairly substantial casualty rate. (The classic example, I think, must be “Horror of Fang Rock”, in which Leela and the Doctor are the only survivors [and even Leela loses her coloured contact lenses.])

“Terminus” was on a plague ship, and some of the people were killed while they were trying to cure them. In “Kinda,” members of the expedition were killed, though that might have been offstage before anything began.

Looking further, other candidates are “The King’s Demons,” “Trial of a Time Lord – The Ultimate Foe” (since the Valyard appears to have survived at the end).

My Doctor Who Book of Lists asserts that nobody dies in these stories: Inside the Spaceship; The Celestial Toymaker; The Savages; Fury from the Deep; The Mind Robber; Castrovalva (“Well, nobody real dies”); Four to Doomsday; and Snakedance.

Two people who very definitely die in “Hand of Fear” are Dr. Carter and Driscoll.

I was very impressed by both parts of this arc.

Whoda thunk they were both written by the guy who created “Coupling”?

Excellent two-parter. I, too am going to be sad to see Eccelson leave. Billie Piper is really good, too. She’s really grown on me.

I’ve liked David Tennant well enough in the past, but I really don’t know how he’s going to compare to Eccleston. He and Piper have amazing chemistry.

I just want to chime in that the only thing I’m not liking about the new series is the lack of cliffhanger endings. I realize that they could sometimes be a little forced during the original run of the series, but seeing this two-parter (and it’s ingenious resolution to the cliffhanger) just drove in the point for me. Some of the stand-alone episodes just seem a tad bit rushed. IMO, the series would work that much better if all (or at least most) of the stories were two-parters as this one was. But as it is though, I am really very happy with how this series is turning out.

BTW, since I apparently missed it yet again, what was the “Bad Wolf” reference in this story?

If a German reference counts, the bomb that Captain Jack is astride says “Schlechter Wolf” on it.