Dragonfly98, if anyone has been just beggin for a pitting, it's you

Oh yeah…quite the winner.

My fave entry…

Particularly groundhogs. Evil Nazi ones, at that. Mwahahaha!!!

Maybe he’s a motivational speaker IRL?

“LIVING IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!”

evil dave wanted to say that. The other dave on my shoulder said no.

zette takes the puck and scores. :wink:

Thanks beagle- I almost feel guilty now :wink:

First off read my disclaimer in case you have any lingering doubts:

Oh… BTW your mama wears army boots and your daddy proudly performs oral sex on South Central Gangstas for a nickel a shot.

May be i should frame that sucker.

Miller

No the post should have been split up. Here, let me clarify:

splatterpunk

WOW!

That’s real d e e p.

Are you a “macho man/girl” by any chance?

Just wondering that’s all.

Miller

And Miller are you threatening me?? i am being polite!!

i must say you are one sub-human ignorant asshole. *****

Wake up.

Sorry for the confusion.

***** Note: This is in direct response to your wanton and unbelievable cruel fried kitten comment.
Derleth

You said: “You are a sanctimonious ass and are not helping your own cause.” Well i don’t have any cause so your suggestion is totally without merit, ie, meaningless. And as far as your dull suggetions about me being a sactimonius ass, well… to each is own, right? Riiight.

neutron star

You say, and i quote “Man, this guy has some pretty whacked out priorities.” First let me say that beauty and/or stupidity is in the eye of the beholder. Actual mileage man vary. Secondly, my only “crime” here is to have gone to a certain thread on this bbs and make the statement that “i cannot support sport hunting” in any way shape manner or form. You OTOH can do no better than to bellyache, criticize and belittle, and also offer nothing but wholesale, and i might add unnecessary condemnation of my actions. Can we say look in the mirror?

About the remark about me being able to feed myself, and my efforts to maintain a veggie diet: i say that was then this is now. In fact i wasn’t in dire financial straits then and i am not now. Also the fact is that this is a personal diary, only i know what was actually going on in my head, but if you really want to know, that remark was more about my unlicensed vehicle and the problems associated with getting it street legal. But more to the point: i will not sacrifice my beliefs, especially concerning my diet, and that won’t change, whether or not i have a gazillion dollars in the bank.

Tell me, would you go out and murder/maim/injure or otherwise harm a fellow human being, if it kept you off the welfare roles? Now i’m talking ultra-science fiction here, but try to consider this hypothetical point nonetheless.

Ringo

Wipe the drool off of your chin, son ! Yes i think that you are a basketcase. Always have and i always will. As for the mysterious
name change the 99 was changed to a 98 by Ed Zotti. i’m sure he has better things to do than to change it back again. sigh
Q.E.D

Yes Miller addressed me. You got a problem with that? It appears that you are yet another one of the functionally illiterate morons that haunt this BBS. Get it together fuckwit.

dnooman

Yes thank goodness i chucked my leather wallet for one made out of hemp.

Blackeyes

i stand by my statement(s). Have a nice day.

Scylla

You said: “I truly don’t understand why you consider this a virtue.”

i don’t understand your objection either. i never said or implied that it was a virute. Stop hallucinating friend. It was only a FYI.

“If eating meat products is bad and murderous, how does the fact that you’ve only done it a little bit matter?”

Interesting enough of a question to warrant a response. Even though it is a trick question, and you and your gun toting animal chomping friends will be the first to tell me that meat products are NOT bad and murderous, i will answer the "does a little bit matter? part anyway.

It does matter because i have done something that i strongly believe in, and as far as my dietary choices are concerned, there is also the symbolic gesture of recognition of the fact that there isn’t an infinite amount of natural resources on this planet to exploit solely for greed, profit and financial gain. And i am no longer blindly and/or eagerly participating in the unbelievably cruel, rgorous, ritualistic and horrifice profit motivated abuse and wholesale torture and slaughter of tame, innocent and sentient animals, solely for human consumption. For me anyway, this was an extremely simple choice. If you guys/girls truly believe that the unbelievably stupid and self-righteious act of blindly rubber stamping this kind of abuse, and that this is what it takes to be a four star macho man, then i can only hope that you get somehow obtain some sort of insight, divine or otherwise.

beagledave

That’s one of my favorite entries too! Now you may wonder, and rightly so, why is this important? Well it’s insignificant really, unless of course you realize that i was living in my van, working and taking 6 1/2 units at the local JC here, a computer skills class, and a beginning statistics course. Let’s just say that i didn’t do as well as i might have like to.

Dragonfly98, I don’t get it. You were called on your rudeness and instead of explaining yourself/apologizing, you went on and on about what a great vegetarian you are. Do you have reading comprehension problems? Do you think we are impressed and will therefore say, “Well, he’s a total asshole, but he’s a moral total asshole.”*

I’ve been a vegetarian for four years, and I don’t eat fish at all. Does this make me morally superior to you, who have eaten fish? I think yes. BOW DOWN TO MEEEEE!!!**

*We won’t. In case you’re wondering. We’ll pretty much just think you’re a total asshole.

**Um, that’s a joke.

Speaking of functional illiteracy, did you not read the bits where Scylla so eloquently explained that a big part of the reason he hunts is precisely so that he is not blindly'' participating in anything? While I do not agree with you that industrial agriculture is unbelievably cruel, rgorous, ritualistic and horrifice profit motivated’’, I do agree that blindly contributing to it does not satisfy me. Thus, I take up hunting, so as to better understand the impact of my decisions, and to become more connected with my food supply.

Further, unlike agriculture, recreational hunting for food may, if you are of that bent, be described as cruel asd ritualistic (though I disagree), and the animals may be innocent and sentient, but even the most deluded among the sane of us could scarcely consider it horrifically profit driven, or involving tame animals.

Perhaps your oh-so-much-more-literate self also missed the point earlier about the huge numbers of varmints killed in the course of plant agriculture, not to mention the vast swaths of forest ecosystem destroyed, to which you are blindly and eagerly contributing no matter what your diet. Or maybe mice, voles, and gophers aren’t innocent, sentient, and/ or tame, so they don’t count?

I am SOOOO glad that dragonfly himself has shown up. He was suge a huge jerk in the other thread, that it’s fun to be able to pick pn him in a place where it’s expected and allowed.

And now I’m not the only one incurring his wrath (subhuman and morally deficient although I am) and letting him know that he is not making sense.

P.S. Dragonfly98, if you start a calm and well-reasoned thread about veganism, and refrain from calling people ‘insane torturers,’ you might get an interesting discussion. Just a thought.

[emphasis mine]

No, but you’re advocating the cruel, rgorous [sic], ritualistic and horrifice [sic] profit motivated abuse and wholesale torture and slaughter of innocent plant life, solely for human consumption.

I ask you again: What’s the fucking difference?

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by dragonfly98 *

Scylla

[quote[i don’t understand your objection either. i never said or implied that it was a virute. Stop hallucinating friend. It was only a FYI.[/quote]

I apologize. I assumed you thought veganism was virtuous from the context of your posts and journal since you aspired to it and considered it a moral choice.

I’m not going to tell you anything other than my opinion and how I see things. It is your choice. I am trying to understand it.

Sounds good to me. Oddly enough, as you may have seen from the other thread, I hunt for much the same reason. It’s symbolic for me, and it’s important that I do it right and for myself. For me it’s a statement about the way things should be.

Funny that you appear to be a Vegan for the same reason that I am a hunter. Remember my words from the other thread, that hunting was about recognizing the cost of my existence.

You do realize that you still are participating, don’t you? You seem to have glanced over the part where I discussed the ecological costs in both environment and animal lives that agriculture entails.

Do you recognize and understand the destructiveness of agriculture? This agriculture is what produces the plant matter you eat.

One of the things that I like about hunting is that it doesn’t change or disturb the environment, at least not in the way that agriculture or ranching does.

As a hunter, I hunt upon pristine wilderness that I have helped preserve. I don’t change the environment, damage it, or disturb it. I am a part of it. I take an animal for food, just as any other animal takes another. I leave it intact, sustainable and unchanged.

I find this better than eating, say, corn. To grow that corn a forest has been cut down and that environment destroyed. The land has been plowed killing just about everything that lives there. There are lots and lots of animals per acre in cropland. Thousands.

Then there is the fertilizing and the spraying which damages nearby environments and watersheds, and possibly kills neighboring fish in streams and such. My own well is contaminated with both nitrates and bacteria as a result of the cornfield next door.

Then, a new environment grows in the ashes of the destroyed one. Animals come back, an ecosystem develops. This ecosystem is completely destroyed again when the corn is harvested. Often, the land is then retilled (another catastrophe,) and planted in something like winter wheat before the cycle starts over again.

It’s easily demonstrable that eating corn causes much more damage to life and environment than hunting a single deer does, especially since what is preserving that wilderness and those deer and that environment are the tax dollars and activism of hunters like myself and the monies received from hunting licenses for conservation.

It seems to me that the best way to live from a stictly environmental standpoint is as a hunter gather, not as an eater of cultivated foods.

This is the reason why I don’t understand the vegan objection to hunting. Hunting is environmentally and naturalistically sound as far as I can tell.

I’ve never successfully gotten a hunting objector to address this issue.

Will you be the first?

I wish you wouldn’t make such bizzare mischaracterization. I interpret the need to turn your opponents into monsters and to mischaracterize their arguments as a sing of intellectual weakness, and a hallmark of a weak position. If you paint your opponents as monsters or fools than that distracts from the weakness in your own argument. Those weaknesses look small and incidental compared to the monstrosity you’ve painted as your opposition.

It’s a shallow and transparent tactic. Can we dispense with it?

dragonfly, where the fuck did miller threaten you? Be specific. Use quotes.

yawn

splatterpunk
What’s the difference you ask? You’re an idiot and i’m not. Amazingly simple.

autz
i almost feel sorry for you. Notice that i said ‘almost.’ i am not making sense? C’mon… we’ve heard that one before. Honest!! However i will offer you one small suggestion: If you think i don’t make any sense, or you don’t like what i’m saying, or more probably don’t comprehend (read : it’s a word look it up), then don’t read my posts or respond to them. Or else get a new script. i can’t make it any simpler than that.

viking

Blah blah blah yourself! Obviously i believe that recreational hunting is an obscenely horrific gesture and those that actually enjoy pointing big expensive deadly weapons at poor animals have some “issues.” Also “…explained that a big part of the reason he hunts is precisely so that he is not blindly participating in anything.” WTF?? That sentence/sentence fragment makes exactly zero sense, just like you do. Nice try fuckwit. Now be a good boy and fetch me my slippers!

Kyla
i don’t have a clue as to what you are trying to say. From all appearances you are a bona fide idiot. FTR i’m glad you’re not impressed. Really. You don’t get it? i believe it. You’ve been a veggie for four years? Riiight. Well i’ve got news for you… you’ve been a self-righteous oaf for a lot longer. For shame!

Scylla
i think that hunters are whack jobs. Consequently i don’t read your posts, or those of any other pro-recreational hunter types, at least when humanly possible. i will tell you this, i believe that hunting animals for sport is just as wrong as putting guns and other weapons into boys and mens hands and then marching them off to war. So don’t take it personal. You mention that “Hunting is environmentally and naturalistically sound as far as I can tell.” Wrong. Look at all the endangered, extinct and going extinct species on this planet. We have overfished the oceans and the holes in the ozone layer are nothing compared to the destruction of the worlds remaining rain forests.

You also state: “I wish you wouldn’t make such bizzare mischaracterization.” It’s not really a mischaracterization you blathering fruitcake. You seem to have alot of insecurities for a macho hunter. Sheesh. You really are something else.

Hunting animals was at one time necessary for human survival, in the broadest terms. That is no longer the case. Pretending otherwise is absurd, childish and stupid.

Thanks for the laughs.

appletreats
Why is this even an issue? Use quotes.

What a flying asshole.

I just finished reading this thread, as well as the one linked in the OP, and my reaction is:

Good grief, dragonfly98. It’s fine that you’re a vegan, but that doesn’t give you the right to be a complete nutwrench about it.

And I second appletreats’s request for seeing where Miller threatened you. It’s a reasonably serious accusation you made, since making threats of a personal nature is frowned upon by the Powers that Be on the SDMB. If you’re unable to back your assertion up, then we will all be forced to conclude that you’re just making shit up.

I kind of suspected you militant vegan types tended to keep your head in the sand. Deliberate and willful ignorance does a lot towards clearing up your position.

Since you’ve declared that you avoid informing yourself of dissenting opinions your beliefs are without value.

In this country we don’t hunt endangered species.

And a fair amount of that environmental destruction occurs to produce the food you consume.

Again with the head in the sand thing. You are doing a very good job of avoiding the fact that the food you eat comes at the cost of the environment and costs animal lives.

Are you impervious to logic, or will you address this issue?

I’m assuming that you aren’t because you can’t. I am clearly much more intelligent than you and I can’t think of an answer or even a good rationalization. I apologize for expecting you to.

I never said hunting was necessary. I said killing animals is.

It’s really very simple. Agriculture kills animals, and damages the environment.

I think this is the fourth time I’ve mentioned this. It is likely to be the forth time you will evade it with cowardly insults.

You don’t appear to have the courage or integrity to to defend your convictions sincerely and in good faith.

That makes you useless to me.

On page one, autz said:

This is why I earlier said that pitting him might not be very satisfying if one considers his posting history. He’s been popping in for years, and he never makes sense. And is usually quite rude, but somehow doesn’t seem to perceive his own responses that way.

A fence post without a clue. Impeccable typing skills, though.

I’d like to see dragonfly98 actually address a question posed to him by the others.

Is that too much to ask?

All I see are attacks on the character of the ones asking the questions.

He can’t. He knows his position is philosophically indefensible, so all he can do is stomp his feet and call people names.

What a dipshit.

Dragonfly98,

I am personally offended that you insinutate someone’s mother wearing Army Boots is anything but a good thing. I for one wore Army boots for 8 years in the service of my country. I feel it is something someone should be proud of not ashamed of.