"Dream" Casting for Discworld

Argh! Missed the edit window.

No CGI for arg-oles. Stop motion by Ray Harryhausen, ee ood oo ee arg-oles!

Yeah, but the funny thing is, I bet most people assume he’s actually taller than that. Good camera angles or something. High-heels.

^ ooo, yes! I change my vote for Carrot to Warburton.

Ponder Stibbons - Martin Freeman
The Dean - Richard Griffiths

I thought Charles Dance as Vetinari was bang on in Going Postal and wouldn’t dream of anyone but him in the role - and I’d previously imagined Jeremy Irons until the (misguided) Colour of Magic adaptation.

Will have more of a think about this one! Generally I love Paul Kidby’s versions and seldom find them very far from how I imagine people.

Paul Gross is apparently only six feet tall, but I’d still make him Carrot.

Mackenzie Crook for Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler.

William de Worde - Benedict Cumberbatch
Grannie - Maggie Smith
Lady Sybil - Anna Russell (not strictly an actress, she just is Sybil - and being a Wagnerian soprano is handy for Fifth Elephant. Alas, too old and too dead.)
Moist - Simon Keenlyside. Failing that, David Tennant.
Magrat - Evanna Lynch
Leonard of Quirm - Tom Baker
Dibbler - David Jason (miscast as Rincewind, but CMOT = Delboy)
Carcer - torn between Andy Serkis and Heath Ledger
Igors - Bill Bailey

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, Carrot Ironfoundersson.

Christina Ricci as Sally von Humpeding
Peter Dinklage as Lance-Constable Cuddy
Meredith Eaton as Cheery Littlebottom
Young Rowan Atkinson as Ponder Stibbons

John Simm as Mister Teatime.

Lou Ferringo as Detritus (The Hulk as Detritus just picture it)

Maybe it’s because I’ve been watching a lot of Q.I. lately, but I think Alan Davies could make a fine Nobby Nobbs.

:smiley:

Agreed - He gets My Tick of approval:D

Clydeas The Librarian

Actually, it’s a given that the Librarian will be played by Andy Serkis. He gets all the ape roles.

John Cleese - Drumknott (think about his archly subtle delivery, not his barely subdued rage) rage)
Eric Idle - Pick a wizard (Actually most of the pythons would be a good fit here)

No one has suggested a possible actor for Death… Mostly voice talent, as it would have to be a CGI Character… Basil Rathbone…?

And thanks everyone for all the thought and imagination provoking resonses

A younger Billy Connolly for Rob Anybody. O, casting the Nac Mac Feegle would be a fun exercise in its own right.

Since I first encountered Discworld in the video game in which Eric Idle provided the voice of Rincewind, that’s still how I think of him.

For reasons lost in the mists of time, when I read Guards, Guards, I pictured Vimes as looking like Ian Holm. Of course, Holm is now old as hell.

Damn! Beaten to the punch.

Seconding Rickman as the Patrician, Arthur Darvill as Rincewind, John Sim as Carcer or Mister Teatime, David Tennant as Moist von Lipwig, and Brendan Fraser as Carrot.

And while we’re pillaging Doctor Who, how about Billie Piper as Angua and Karen Gillian (in a wig, of course) as Susan Sto Helit?

Now I think about it, Helen Mirren would be fun to watch as Nanny Ogg…

Look, you expect Americans are gonna think first of American actors, right? I’ve seen some unfamiliar names in this thread which are probably familiar to Brits (and I doubt any Brits reading it have failed to recognize any American actors’ names).

But, in answer to your question, it’s because Brendan Fraser is otherwise perfect for Carrot. Rent a DVD of Blast from the Past (there are some actual similarities between the characters) and imagine a British accent. And hair can be dyed, and 30-year-olds play teenagers in slasher films, for Og’s and Blind Io’s sake!