"Dream" Casting for Discworld

Good call on both of those. Though Brendan Fraser may now be a little old for Carrot I think (but maybe he is wearing well?)

And can we squeeze Peter Capaldi in somewhere as well? could he be Vetinari?

Why why why why why why why do Americans insist on Brendan Fraser for Carrot? He’s not a redhead, he’s not young enough, and he’s not British! Argh!

Arthur Darvill should play Rincewind.

Also, a Blog post.

Well I’m as English as a missed penalty and I think a young Brendan Fraser would be great. They could ginger his hair and I’m sure he could do the accent. He definitely gave off a “Carrotty” vibe in “Blast from the past”.

Now Lady Sybil, there is another tricky one.

And while I think of it, Kathy Burke for Nanny Ogg. She has come out of semi-retirement for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and I’m going to see that this week (I’ll report back when that mission is complete)

Liza Tarbuck.

I was going to say Patricia Routledge but it turns out she’s 82 so a bit advanced for the role. Ditto Prunella Scales (79). Hmm. Everyone I think of is too old for the role.

On preview: Liza Tarbuck? I like the way you think, GL.

Miriam Margolyes is virtually typecast here, although frankly I’d love to see Dawn French in the role if she weren’t too young for it. Or, for a more daring choice, Amanda Redman.

Jane Horrocks for Magrat, without question. For a younger Magrat, why not Joanna Page of “Gavin and Stacey” fame?

Katy Brand for Agnes Nitt.

Granny Weatherwax - tough, but I’m going to go with Sheila Hancock for that right mix of steel and wisdom.

Granny Weatherwax is tough, but once I saw Caroline Blakiston in an episode of Midsomer Murders, and she was perfect.

For Magrat I’d choose someone like Sheridan Smith, or Joanne Froggatt from Downton Abbey.

Actually, Downton Abbey, Cranford, and Lark Rise to Candleford are great shows to pick some cast members from. Penelope Wilton, Phyllis Logan, Brendan Coyle (he’d be an excellent Vimes), Ruby Bentall, Mark Heap, Victoria Hamilton, Julia Sawalha, Jim Carter, Julia McKenzie, Barbara Flynn…

Unlimited budget, you say?

Then I’d pay Paul Kidby whatever he wanted/needed to animate the whole thing (including any reconstructive surgery he’d need on his hand :)). All voicework to be done by veteran voice actors rather than giving it the Dreamworks treatment of getting a big name to plaster across the posters.

And I still wouldn’t be happy, because they still wouldn’t sound right - they should all sound like me doing an impression of them, because that’s what they sound like in my head :frowning:

That is a very good call, without being rude I think she could pass for a multitude of ages.

And can we find room for Olivia Colman? She is such a superb comedic and straight actor that she’d fit into the Pratchett universe perfectly.

Mrs. Palm perhaps?

He’s also not tall enough.

Liza Tarbuck is someone I’d never have thought of but she is perfect. We should email whoever’s doing the real casting.

Helen Mirren could be a good Granny Weatherwax.

The man’s 6’ 3". How tall does he need to be?

Hair dye, fantasy OP, and neither is Carrot. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I recall correctly, at least 6 and half feet tall, probably more like 7. Carrot is practically a giant, that’s part of the joke. Culturally he’s a Dwarf (not British, as pointed out). A 7 foot tall Dwarf.

If I had to chose between Brendan Fraser and, say, Ron Pearlman for the role I’d probably go for Pearlman. I don’t know how tall Pearlman actually is, but he certainly does LOOK big on screen.

There are very, very few actors over 6’6". Like maybe ten of them. Finding one who fit the role would be effectively impossible.

Perlman, incidentally, is 6’1".

It’d be easy to make a tall actor look VERY tall.

All you have to do is surround him with short actors.

He looks young. He’s a huge guy with a handsome baby face and an inclination toward bright, cheerful, almost innocent personalities in the characters he plays while still looking like he could crack your teeth in if you ticked him off. Perfect Carrot.

But Perlman doesn’t have that air of ‘having the strength of ten, because his heart is pure’ ness. He’s too world-weary. If it was CGI, the guy who does the voice of the henchman in “The Emperor’s New Groove” would be perfect.

Patrick Warburton. He could be good, although he looks too old.

Arnie? Of course he’d have to act thick

Noooo! Marty Feldman is Igor (or possibly the other way round)

Rowan Atkinson ood ee ang ar-oyle, ungagull owgnowk og ee otch!