Driving with dark glasses. At night.: legal and other questions

No matter where you’re driving at night, there’s always headlights in your eyes. We have drivers who drive with the high beam on at all times (at night).

So last night I decided to try on my dark glasses while driving - at night. Since I wear specs, I had to wear the dark glasses over my specs. This reduced the glare of the oncoming headlights to an acceptable degree. It also reduced visibility of speed-breakers, pot holes, and the like. And it made me look like an idiot, but that’s already covered in the IIDU thread.

So my questions:

1. Is there a law that prevents a driver from using dark glasses at night ? Assume your local area.

2. Is this a sensible thing to do ? I drive long distances every weekend (200 miles or so) and the headlights really bug me, and sometimes give me a headache.

3. Have you tried this ? Ever been pulled over by LEOs ? How did you plead ?

4. Are there any other practical solutions to reduce oncoming headlight glare ?

5. Somewhat related: Are there contact lenses with built-in tints for purposes of blocking sunlight ?

My experiment lasted only a few minutes, so I thought I’d come over here and get your expert opinions before thinking of doing this again.

To answer your questions:

1. In my area (Maryland) I don’t think it’s illeagal, but my Driver’s handbook advises against it.
  2. I wouldn’t do it if I were you. Fist of all, they don’t advise you to do it. Second of all when the people drive away you’re still temparaily blinded and dark glasses won’t help at night.
  3. I have never tried it, seeing as I don’t even have my liscence yet :rolleyes: .
  4. I’m not sure how you could deal with it. Maybe putting down your visor might help. Those dumbasses shouldn’t be driving with their highbeams on anyway, since you’re supposed to switch to lowbeams when you’re approching another vehicle. On the highway you’re not supposed to have your highbeams on anyway.
  5. They have tinted contacts for cosmetics, but I don’t think there are any that block sunlight.

Not too sure about the rest, but I would strongly advise you do not use lenses that tint when exposed to light. You may have a hard time adjusting quickly enough once you get flashed and the lenses darken and could cause an accident.

:slight_smile: I wish they’d drive away. However, it’s not one car every 10 mins. or so, it’s a constant stream of cars with a constant headlight in your eye kind of thing. Basically, it’s about 3 continuous hours of a high beam headlight coming at you.

No intention to do so. Was just very curious whether they existed.

Hey Xash, we’re dealing with potentially illegal situations. You might have to lock this thread :wink:

I guess none of these folks are following the plea to use dippers at night. :wink:

This page by AAA posts all the complaints about glare at night, but unfortunately no solutions. They do recommend against wearing sunglasses at night, though.

I have a hard time driving at night too at times, most often when the road isn’t lit. Although I can see more clearly with my contacts than with glasses, the contacts make me more sensitive to glare, especially if I’ve been staring at a monitor all day already. I’ve tried driving with amber-colored glasses that were supposed to cut down on glare, but I found that they made everything else on the road and around it too dark.

When it’s really bad, the only thing I can do is force myself to look down on the side of the road, away from the oncoming traffic. On long trips I’ll take a break at a gas station or some other brightly light place to ease my eyes a little.

I wish there was a better solution, myself.

(Sorry… I have to…)

It’s a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses.

It’s not a rule here; merely a recommendation that no one really follows on the highways. Then there are those big trucks with their bright headlights and some cars with fog lamps or extra light fittings.

That’s what I normally do. Only thing is, sometimes there are lose concrete blocks from the divider lying at the edge of the fast lane along the divider. You have to watch out for those.

It’s really like a video game if you come here. No bonus lives though. And not as happening as GTA: Vice City :slight_smile:

Hit it.

All we need to do to find out the answer is ask the acknowledged expert in the field of wearing sunglasses at night, Corey Hart. Of course, we have to FIND him first.