So how do I calculate the actual savings of Gas vs. Electric if doing about 5 loads a week on average?
- Gas prices seem to be rising but so are electric prices.
- Recently seeing that a gas dryer is probably less green than an electric. This makes me think electrics have gotten a lot more efficient. This is another factor I have to weigh seriously.
- We will get a model either way that senses dryness. This is a great feature.
- I’ll only buy Energy Star either way.
- as to brand, LG seems likely, Consumers rated them very reliable. No one else gets a 5 rating.
- From what I’ve read, gas dryers generally seem to last longer than new electrics.
- Venting is not an issue, all set for that already.
I plan to have a gas qualified plumber come in to run a gas line to the deck with 2 outlets so I can run the grill regularly and a generator when needed. So the extra cost for the dryer run will be negligible. I already have gas for heating & hot water.
Older threads on this subject
- Dryers: gas vs electricIn My Humble Opinion (IMHO)Mar '13 - I’m about to buy a washer & dryer…are there any compelling reasons for buying gas vs electric? The laundry room has a 240v electric outlet. We would need to have a gas line installed. So, is gas wo…
- Gas & Electric Dryer?Factual QuestionsAug '07 - Now excuse me if this sounds really stupid, I’ve owned the same W/D pair my wife and I purchased in 99. Yesterday I went and picked up a W/D pair my brother had in storage for my Mom. After I got t…
- Gas or electric dryer?In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)Jul '07 - Which would you pick, and why?
- Gas vs electric heatFactual QuestionsSep '05 - I’m building a new house and my builder is trying to talk me into using an electric heat pump rather than a gas furnace. He says that the new heat pumps put out warm air comparable to gas furnaces,…
- gas or electric dryer - complicatedFactual QuestionsSep '02 - My electric dryer is on the way out. We are on propane heat in the house, which is inexpensive partly because we burn a lot of wood in the buck stove, and because we are a large family (six, counti…