Dumping Cable and World of Warcraft This Weekend

My older son is about to bring home a less than stellar GPA for the year. Per a previously made pronouncement from his parents, all access to World of Warcraft will now be gone until he brings home a report card with nothing lower than a B. That means that he will not join a Raid group until sometime this Fall.

We are also turning in the Cable box as well, leaving our obscenely sized television as a movie watching device only. There is an Xbox 360 hooked up to it, but given that the hard drive died awhile ago it does not see much use.

The Algher Family is undergoing a 75% or so reduction in mindless electronic entertainment for awhile. It will be interesting to watch behavioral changes.

His computer is out somewhere where you can see what he’s doing, right?

Good for you.

When I was a kid, back in the days before cable, my family had two periods where the TV died and my parents decided it was not a financial priority to replace it right away. We were definitely TV-watchers – the TV came on usually starting with the noon news, if not before, and stayed on until everyone was in bed. Not everyone watched all the time, but it was on. We kids suffered a bit at first, but we went several months without. We all survived. I loved to read, anyway, and we played games and cards in the evenings. To this day I can go days without even turning mine on.

It’s good to learn that you can read or interact with people for entertainment, or, heaven forbid, learn to be alone with your thoughts.

If you think WoW is “mindless electronic entertainment,” you haven’t been raiding recently. :smiley:

Yes - shared machine in the home office.

I agree that WOW raiding is actually pretty interesting, and we have vent running too. However, it has turned into TOO much “I can’t help right now dad, I am in a raid.” When nothing gets done for 5+ hours, and no suitable system is developed - cold turkey time.

Wow, my ex was ready to take away my son’s video games for the summer because he brought home all A’s and one B. The B was in his favorite subject, Science, so she was upset that he didn’t get an A in it. I had to convince her she was being stupid. Most parents would kill for kids with grades like that.

Sounds sensible to me!

… You should take over his raid spot. :smiley:

He will just turn to pron.

As mentioned, the only computer he could use is in the home office with no locking door (and frequent traffic by all members of the family). Makes it difficult to view things privately. He COULD use his iPhone on the household wireless, but I don’t expect a 100% solution here.

The goal is twofold.
1 - there is a price paid for not doing your work. The REAL price is one that might not be paid for years, but he is not yet mature enough to truly recognize the long-term cost of some actions. I also need to follow-up on my stated rules - bad grades = no WOW or TV for the Summer and Fall until a proper report card is produced.
2 - that other activities take the place of WOW and TV during the summer. Simply put, the only other choices are reading, hanging out with friends, etc.

I am not dumb enough to think that this will be easy, or fun. My wife and I are also losing out on TV and WOW as well. OK - she does not play WOW admittedly. I also know that regardless of the fact that this was announced, understood, etc. awhile ago - like Homer not letting Bart see the Itchy and Scratchy movie - my enforcement will NOT be getting me a nice Father’s Day present…

Why not just change the password on the WoW account? That way you wouldn’t pay the price, and it might well keep a subtle reminder of what he’s missing front and center.

I applaud the OP, but good luck. I threw my 14yo step-son off WoW a year ago, and we’ve never had cable nor any video game box. So now he browses rap and graffiti sites, or is dicking around on iTunes, every moment I’m not watching that he’s actually doing his homework on the PC.

This week I had to write a note asking for an extension on an assignment that was due on Tuesday, and at 10pm the night before he actually reads the last paragraph of it and finds he has another hour or two’s work to do. The teacher just gave him to the end of the day so he had to stay back at school and finish it; but his priority is still to get his fun stuff in now and leave work to the latest possible moment. I’ve been trying to convince him that he’ll have a better and less stressful life if he gets done first what has to be done, but that hasn’t sunk in yet it seems.

Mind you his mother still puts off unpleasant things until the last moment, or even later, so I may be wasting my time.

I think that it’s very important to follow up on your rules of acceptable behavior. If he learns now that he can’t break the rules and then expect all his privileges to remain, then you have taught him a valuable lesson.

Ghostzilla.

How old is said son?

Good for you. Being a good parent is about making the hard choices.

WoW is the heroin of games and sometimes you have to make them (or yourself) go cold turkey. I know, I spent far too much time there myself. We negotiated an end to WoW for my son in his senior year, so he played over at friends houses, on their accounts. When he went away to college he started the account again and I am convinced that accounts for his crappy grades. How can you spend 4-6 hours ever single day in game and still get your real world work done. Sure, some people can but not my son because after he got out of the game he wanted to go have some fun.

14 - trying to nip this in the bud.

He is a fantastic salesman, and has gotten away with late assignments all year at school through the manipulation of teachers. In the final term, however, a few of them shut the door on him.

I dumped the cable two months ago. I STILL HAVE NOT TURNED THE STUPID BOX IN so I am STILL PAYING FOR CABLE. Arrrrgh!

Why did you write a note for him? ISTM that the lesson he learned here is that if he puts off work until the last possible moment, his dad will go to bat for him with the teacher.

In the note I told the teacher that the problem was due to the boy’s bad time management, I didn’t make any excuses for him. I left it up to the teacher whether that was OK by him or not; as it turned out an extension of a few hours in a multi-week assignment I didn’t think was a big deal. Don’t worry, I’ve let him fail on his own efforts often enough, what I didn’t want on this occasion was for the genuine effort he (and I) had put in so far to be wasted.

Ah got it. It wasn’t a “Please excuse my precious snowflake because he (insert some ridiculous stuff that’s basically a flowery euphemism for lazy slacker)” letter, it was a “Here’s what happened, so don’t listen to his crap, and treat him as you see fit” letter.