Dwayne Hickman - Dead at 87

“Ma’am, I apologize for my disgusting condition and I assure you I will not inflict myself on you any further.”

No, really?

Dan

The “G” was silent.

Sorry to hear this. Like others, I loved Dobie Gillis.

In an odd coincidence, I thought of the show just yesterday. I was reading the thread on vanilla extract and remembered an episode where Zelda was threatening to commit suicide. She carried a bottle prominently labeled “POISON.” Near the end of the show, she actually drank the contents of the bottle. It was (of course) vanilla extract.

The middle name ‘Walter’ was named for his aunt, as well as being silent.

Nope, it was all a lie. Got you on that one, didn’t I?

How did I not know this???

Ignorance fought. That’s what it’s all about.

I liked Dobie, from what I could recall. I really liked the innovation of Dobie speaking directly to the audience while standing in front of a copy of Rodin’s The Thinker – a great way to show that we were getting Dobie’s internal thoughts.

Although he appeared in a number of other things, there are only three I recall him from. Cat Ballou has already been mentioned.

But how many people remember him from the UPA animated version of 1001 Arabian Nights? He voiced Aladdin. This movie starred Jim Backus as Mister Magoo (Aladdin’s uncle) three years before they made Magoo’s Christmas Carol. It also featured the voices of Daws Butler (as I call him, “the poor man’s Mel Blanc”) , Herschel Bernardi (as the genie. He was the voice of Charlie the Tuna), Hans Conreid (as the Evil Vizier) and Kathryn Grant as the Princess (she also played Princess Parisa in Ray Harryhausen’s Seventh Voyage of Sinbad that year). It’s colorful and was a musical, and I’ve long suspected that the folks at Disney strip-mined this as well as the 1940 Thief of Baghdad for inspiration when they set out to make their own Aladdin. Hickman plays an honest and earnest part and, IIRC, he gets to sing.

He also starred in a TV movie that was supposed to be a springboard for a series, but wasn’t picked up. In We’ll Take Manhattan he played lawyer Lucas Redstone who was trying to help an Indian tribe regain its property in Manhattan that had been improperly purchased by Peter Minuit from the wrong tribe. I remember thinking at the time that there might be some real interesting possibilities there, but this was 1967 and there was no chance of this being handled with any tact or respect for indigenous people. Although I’m sure that wasn’t the reason the network dropped this like a hot potato, and it went nowhere.

Dobie Gillis showed up in a couple of retro snapshot in 1977 (“Whatever happened to Dobie Gillis?”) and 1988 (the wonderfully titled “Bring me the Head of Dobie Gillis”) that reunited him with remaining cast members, but I never saw those.

Nope, it was all a lie. Got you on that one, didn’t I?

Ah, you a very funny fellow; I kill you last!

Dan

Be glad you didn’t. They were limp, sad, cliched and humorless.

He was on a Wagon Train episode, “The Clay Shelby Story”. A 14 year old Confederate drummer boy, he was captured and became a Galvanised Yankee, and deserted.