Ear Buds That Actually Stay In Your Ear

For years I’ve been using these headphones when I work out

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lightweight-MDR-W08L-In-The-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00005N6KG

But now they discontinued them, so as you can see, if you looked at the link, they are outrageous. I used to pay like $8.00 on sale.

I have been looking for replacements but all they seem to make now is ear buds.

OK the market changed, fair enough, but ear buds keep falling out of my ear. I should say, when I work out. When I’m sitting on a subway train or in my home, the ear buds stay in but when I work out, the brands of ear buds I am buying fall out.

I am not looking for top of the line quality, as when I work out, I do listen to a lot of books on tape, just your basic quality ear buds, that won’t keep falling out of my ear when I’m running on a treadmill.

Any suggestions or recommends?

Thank you.

You could probably find some ear-bud type headphones that have a thing that goes around the top of your ears to stop them from falling out. I got mine from Curry’s in the UK.

Have you tried a much smaller size? Turns out, I have very narrow ear canals. I did not realize what a difference it would make.

Do a search on Amazon for “over the ear earbuds.” You want ones like these with the rubber bits on the end. That particular one comes with 3 sizes of rubber covers, which you can use to get the best fit in your ear. My left ear is smaller than my right ear!

Have you looked into the “Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought” items at your link?

If you must have a band, try neckband headphones. Personally, I’ve never had a problem with my set of noise-cancelling earbuds. They fit snug in my ear like an earplug, and they ain’t budging.

I don’t use earbuds. The rubber balls never stay. I stick with the hard plastic in-ear earphones? Earphones vs earbuds? I work out with these: http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-S4CHDZ-033-Chops-Hanger-Earbuds/dp/B004MWKYLW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386950183&sr=1-1&keywords=skullcandy+chop

but I read very good reviews for: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-OMX-680-Headphone-Adjustable/dp/B0035JKJ4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386950297&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+omx

earhoox. $8 plus shipping.

“The Earhoox creation is a universal, silicone attachment that slides around your earbuds and features a fin-shaped extension designed to keep your ear bud in place. Earhoox were designed with activity in mind, but are great for anyone who struggles with their circular earbuds.”

I’ve been using Bose IE2 Audio Headphones (or the variant with iPhone controls and microphone) for quite some time now. It has the silicon insets mentioned by others, and I’ve never had an issue with them falling out. I once tried the more circular ones that came with the iPhone, and they always fell out. Also, the sound sucked. They were extremely poor quality all round. I have none of these issues with the Bose pair.

I did replace my original Bose pair after a few years because the cable connection to the ear bud wore out. That happening counts as a negative, but I must admit I wasn’t very careful with them and am treating the replacements a bit better. No problems so far.

I just got a pair of these Sennheiser headbuds (that’s what I call them) because I have the same problem with earbuds falling out, even the ones with over-the-ear. I was able to find them about $10 cheaper than Amazon sells them for.
Roddy

I have the same issue so will be following this thread. I have searched for good earbuds for years!

I currently have these Phillips ActionFit Earhook Earbuds and they suck - don’t get these. I’ve had other over the ear earbuds and they equally suck. The silicone inserts also don’t work for me as I sweat quite a bit and it makes them slip and fall out. I just ran with them for an hour and spent a quarter of that time fiddling and readjusting them. :mad:

You don’t really want earbuds, you want in ear monitors. I use these which is an insanely good deal for the quality. They fit into your ear canal rather than sitting on the outside of your ear, so they form a much tighter seal (blocking out noise), they stay put, they’re ultimately more comfortable if you get a set that fits you, and the sound quality is better. That model also has a microphone and 3 button control for apple devices (volume, play/pause, skip track, etc). You can make calls with it or control it without fiddling with an ipod or phone. There’s an android version too, but at least with my android device, the middle button on the apple-oriented version worked fine.

And while the ones I linked are fine for working out, they specifically have a ruggedized version that can be handled a bit more roughly, more water resistant, etc.

Also quite comfortable. They come with 5 or 6 different types and sizes of tips.

“Insanely good deal” is kind of a stretch, I guess, but I’ve paid $100 for them and was totally happy. They’re not exactly top notch audiophile stuff, but they’re comfortable and convenient and will sound better and stay better than any earbuds. But anyway, even if not that particular model, IEMs are what you’re looking for, not earbuds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I got some earbuds for Christmas, but like some others said, when I get to running, you sweat and they fall and constantly need readjusting.

Neckband earphones will stay but then you can’t lie down to do your sit ups and such, well not easily anyway.

I will definitely check out some of the ones others suggested. Again thanks.

Perhaps you could try this?

In this video, an extremely calm Irish man explains how to attain custom-fit earbuds by wedging a small sausage of Sugru (an air-drying polymer clay) beneath your cheap off-the-shelf earbuds’ silicone sleeve, fitting them to your ears to get the right fit, removing them, and leaving them to dry. Looks easy and efficient!

These stay in my ears when I work out and they’re inexpensive: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FDOGKM/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Also, many festive colors.

I buy these every six months to a year at the family dollar for $5 http://www.amazon.com/RCA-HP59MIC-Noise-Isolating-Earbuds-Microphone/dp/B007Y4TTWK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2 They stay in my ears during a workout, while shoveling snow etc.

Funny, I used the exact same earbuds as the OP for many, many years for the exact same reason. I wonder why these were discontinued?

I have yet to find an adequate replacement; even the in-ear headphones seem to be too heavy or something and require constant adjustment.