Easter Dinner 2022

• A 50/25/25 ground chuck / ground turkey / ground pork meat loaf.
  • Garlic mashed potatoes with country gravy
  • Store-bought potato salad
  • Bread from a local vegan bakery with Kerrygold butter
  • Romaine and spinach salad
  • Green bean casserole
  • Devilled eggs
  • Apple crumble w/ vanilla ice cream for dessert.

My FIL had treatment for tonsil cancer last year (well, 2020 I guess… man alive how times moves weird in a pandemic) and so we basically made a menu of “soft stuff.”

14 people stuffed into my house for dinner, with 3 of those under 3. It could’ve been a lot worse but… nope. Never again.

1 ½ pounds small red potatoes, unpeeled, halved
2 cups water
3 tablespoons
3 garlic cloves, peeled
3 sprigs fresh thyme
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

1. Arrange potatoes in single layer, cut side down, in 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add water, butter, garlic, thyme, and salt and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.

2. Remove lid and use slotted spoon to transfer garlic to cutting board; discard thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and vigorously simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until water evaporates and butter starts to sizzle, 15 to 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, mince garlic to paste. Transfer paste to bowl and stir in lemon juice and pepper.

3. Continue to cook potatoes, swirling pan frequently, until butter browns and cut sides of potatoes turn spotty brown, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Off heat, add garlic mixture and chives and toss to thoroughly coat. Serve immediately.

Easter dinner for us was rotisserie chicken, broccoli and cheese au gratin, and deviled egg potato salad from Food Lion.

Lasagna
Green salad
Garlic bread
Grapes & strawberries
Homemade ice cream cake
Blueberry pie
Caramel apple pie
Chocolate chip/potato chip cookies

Brunch: Resurrection rolls and hard boiled eggs

Dinner:
ham
roasted asparagus
potato salad
Easter cheese
Paska bread
Lime and pear Jello salad
Malley’s Nut Mallow

Mom takes her basket of food to be blessed at Catholic church on the Saturday before Easter so I guess I ate some good Jesus vibes too.

I wonder…on Saturday, Jesus was still dead, wasn’t he? :thinking:

My mother was the child of Slovak immigrants–both her parents came through Ellis Island in 1921. She was the first child born in the USA. I do miss some of the baked goods my grandmother used to send us…

Wow! Those rolls are pretty spectacular!

LOL!

We’ve never made them but mom decided she wanted to try them this year. I was skeptical at first but I gobbled them up. Wasn’t looking forward to marshmallows for breakfast but they really do disappear (just like JESUS!!) and turn into a delicious cinnamon sugar goo (…also like Jesus…? Naw…)

We usually make the Resurrection rolls. I bought the ingredients, but we didn’t get around to it. They are yummy. We call them empty tomb rolls.

Easter brunch was:
Cheese grits
Sausage strata
Hash brown casserole
Deviled eggs
Rainbow sherbet later

Seconded for dandelions. Every spring I see hundreds, nay thousands of those little yellow devils spring up on my lawn, and every spring I think “I should make good use of those” but never get around to it.

In addition to some dandelion salad, I always wanted to try making dandelion wine. For a salad you only use the leaves, right? Or do you include the stems? For wine, I believe you only use the yellow ‘flower’ part…?

So, first of all, you need to pick the dandelion greens before they start flowering. That’s why this salad is an Easter tradition for my family, because it’s only available in the spring. And then you need to clean them very thoroughly-- That’s the only hard part of it.

To one grocery bag full of greens, add:
4 hardboiled eggs
1-2 boiled diced potatoes
1 chopped onion

Then, fry a pound and a half of chopped bacon. Once it’s done, keep the fat in the pan, and add 6 oz of cider vinegar and a half-cup of sugar. Stir, and let it come to a simmer. Then pour the hot dressing over the salad, and mix it up thoroughly. Serve immediately.

Sounds good! I’ve made something similar with spinach.

Wow, your mom takes “thematic foods” very seriously!

(Sounds tasty.)