Economic School of Thought Quiz

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-economic-school-of-thought-test

I think this is better in quality than the Politics Quiz.

I’m no economist, didn’t take economics courses in college, etc. Description makes sense though.

I think this is an accurate assessment. I’m no economist (seriously, has anyone ever met somebody who says they’re an economist) and I am a practical thinker that probably is ill prepared to defend my ideas of common sense as they apply to macro economics.

Also, I selected the wrong poll choice, so if anyone else gets “Good Econ Student” please select “Economics Student” to correct my error.

The test is preposterously simplistic and badly written.

Meh. For what it is, I think it’s pretty good. Obviously 13 multiple choice questions are not going to tell the story of your deepest philosophical economic beliefs, but for an online predictor, I think it’s better than average.

Free Keynesian

77/46/8

The problem I have, at least in principle, is the idea that 13 multiple choice questions can you parse you neatly out to one of 26 or 27 categories ;). He seems to be drawing some awful fine lines for such a short quiz.

But on the other hand, eh - it’s just another little internet diversion.

Yes, writing the answers in a manner to attempt to obfuscate as much as possible probably wasn’t a good idea. Any response including the phrase “animal spirits” should have been reconsidered before making the quiz live.

I know a lot of economists since I am a PhD student in a related discipline. Apparently I’m a Keynesian Privateer, which is pretty much dead on.

Hard to argue with that.

Economics Student:
31 Keynesian, 23 Chicago, 15 Austrian

I liked it until the last three questions, which I had to go look up to be sure I was answering correctly. And then the smarmy explanations for your ranking was just too much. No, just because I do not fit neatly into one camp or another does not mean I just need to learn more about economics. And I don’t know why the test creator thinks practicality is a bad thing.

Balanced Freedom
46 Keynesian, 23 Chicago, 23 Austrian

You are in favor of a free market, and quite a bit of individual freedom. That said, you don’t really fit in any one school of thought. A little Keynesianism, a little Chicago School methods, and a bit of Austrianism all sprinkled around. You just know you want a working market, and you support it, but you have no consistent methodology guiding you
yep that is me

That, and if you’re going to ask about the causes of the Great Depression, and not offer the gold standard and protectionist tariffs as an answer choice…well, that doesn’t look too good, does it?

I know piss-all about economics (had to look up what ‘Say’s law’ was), but got this:

*Mixed Market

31 Keynesian, 15 Chicago, 38 Austrian
You have some knowledge of economics, but believe the freemarket is unstable and/or unfair. You would make a good economics bureaucrat in a stagnating social democracy somewhere. You aren’t hostile to freedom, though, and likely just want to make sure the right, just, decisions are made. In addition, you have just enough of a twinge of the “Austrian School” that you likely see some economic freedom as necessary. You like a mixed market, you have a concern for equity, but you’re no radical.*

Good Lord.

69 Keynesian, 46 Chicago, 15 Austrian

The first sentence is absolutely true. But I rather disagree with the prescription following. I’m perfectly happy with my economic views as they are, than you very much, and don’t feel the need to be indoctrinated into the Grand High Church of Hayek.

*Balanced Freedom

54 Keynesian, 31 Chicago, 31 Austrian

You are in favor of a free market, and quite a bit of individual freedom. That said, you don’t really fit in any one school of thought. A little Keynesianism, a little Chicago School methods, and a bit of Austrianism all sprinkled around. You just know you want a working market, and you support it, but you have no consistent methodology guiding you.*

Sure. I just roll with the times.

Well, yes. I used to work with some when I was in managment consulting. They had people who were experts in all sorts of finance, accounting and econ shit.

I scored BALANCED FREEDOM, which I assume is best.

Sadly, I don’t think I want to sign up for OKCupid to find out.

Mixed Market
31 Keynesian, 15 Chicago, 23 Austrian

You have some knowledge of economics, but believe the freemarket is unstable and/or unfair. You would make a good economics bureaucrat in a stagnating social democracy somewhere. You aren’t hostile to freedom, though, and likely just want to make sure the right, just, decisions are made. In addition, you have just enough of a twinge of the “Austrian School” that you likely see some economic freedom as necessary. You like a mixed market, you have a concern for equity, but you’re no radical.

Sounds about right.