Egg on your cheeseburger?

First time I ever had a fried egg on a cheeseburger was back in college. The alternate (yet still on-campus) eatery that served it called it a “Colby 8.” It was nommy.

A local restaurant makes a fried chicken breast sandwich with a fried egg (plus bacon and cheese and maybe even some extra added fat) which they call “Mother and Child Reunion.” The name is worth a :slight_smile: even if the calorie count is :eek:. Still nommy.

But, unlike a girlfriend’s little brother, they’ll go away if you ignore them long enough.
McD took over the grill in the cafeteria at work, but they finally got the message. :cool:

[quote=“Proudest_Monkey, post:41, topic:516489”]

“Mother and Child Reunion.” The name is worth a :slight_smile:
I’d probably feel a slight pang of guilt if I ate one of those. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always believed that because beef in Australasia is almost always grass-fed only we’ve had less reason to worry about bacteria loads than our grain-fed-beef-eating American neighbours. Or is this just a misconception? For the record, I’ve never particularly liked grain-fed beef the few times I’ve tried it, just tastes funny to me after a lifetime of eating outdoor cows…

I’ve had the Red Robin one and it was indeed delicious. But I haven’t gone back for another…it just seemed too…heavy? guilty? wrong?

And let’s not get started on cheese from grain fed cows. :slight_smile:

Grass fed beef is widely available here. You just gotta pay for it is all.
Same thing for dairy products. And chickens, etc. And bison, which is pretty dang good.
Did you Aussies ever eat up all those rabbits I’ve heard so much about? I asked this question before, but nobody answered me. :confused:

In Peru, adding egg to a hamburger (or to most sandwiches) makes it “Royal” (in English), e.g. “hamburgesa royal”. It’s common in sandwich places.

Well, there’s the Roethlis-Burger.

That’s all fine and dandy, but scrambled eggs are for girlie-men (re California’s muy macho governor) and lazy fry cooks.
As set out in the OP, the egg must be runny. Salmonella be damned. :wink:
Peace,
mangeorge, arbiter of manfood.

I’ve had both the Red Robin version and the IHOP. Yummy!

Well… I tried one.

I seasoned the beef patty with salt (instead of my normal garlic salt) and pepper. I went out and bought buns (instead of using bread as usual – and I’m out of bread). I don’t have any lettuce or tomato. I just used mayo as the condiment. And some sliced beets and a slice of cheese.

I couldn’t really taste the beets. I used a national brand (del Monte), but even just picking up a slice and eating it, it was pretty weak. Maybe it was just that the meat and cheese overpowered it, but there was barely any beety goodness there.

I’ll have to give beetroot burgers a thumbs-down. They just didn’t do anything for (or against) the sandwich.

Rabbits get eaten, but they aren’t exactly as popular as lamb or pork.

For the record, I make a really good Bambi and Thumper stew.

Yep, I made me a Ortega chili cheeseburger tonight, and it was perfect.
Mustard, mayo, 1/3 lb patty, cheese, runny egg, tomato, and the chili on a herbed flatbread.
Should have had the tomato on the side, as I eventually did anyway. It made the sandwich too tall, and it one too many slick things.
Anyone who’s never had an Ortega on a burger (or most any sandwich, imo) should try it. It’s soft and mild, and goes well with meat and cheese.
Speaking of mayo, anyone tried Baconaise? Pretty good. You can have a BLT without frying anything!
Man, that burger was good,

Did you use pickled sliced beets or no? Pickling makes a huge difference in taste.

I’ve been noticing fried eggs as an option on burgers a lot recently. I’m starting to think that fried eggs will be this year’s bacon - chefs will be putting them on everything until the next “hot” ingredient comes along.

But, like bacon, they are really, really good. The Goose Island Brewpub on Clybourn here in Chicago has had a burger with fried egg on the menu for a while now.

There is a bar in Grand Rapids MI that serves a burger with egg. It’s called The Hangover Burger. That combined with their Sunday bloody mary bar was always a glorious way to wind up a weekend.

Yeah, they definitely need to be pickled beets. It’s a beautiful marriage of sweet and sour that makes the burger extra tasty.

Fatburger featured a fried egg as a topping.

Bleahhhhhhhhhhh!

Did you dislike the taste of the eggy burger, or the idea it? In other words, did you try one?