Egg on your cheeseburger?

Their breakfasts appear to be only omelettes and scrambled. When I see that, I suspect tub eggs. That would explain the absence of fried egg on burgers.
Mayo on a chili burger though, that’s good stuff.
Clarification: The tub egg was not a dig. The whole menu sounds good, esp the cheeses.

I used to eat them as a teen, and occasionally as a young adult. Big beef patty, two slices of American cheese, an ortega chili or two, and a runny-yolk fried egg. Can’t have it without that mild green chili on it.

Occasionally I think about making one, but I never do.

McDonalds NZ has offered (at times) a Kiwiburger, which was advertised with kitschy kiwiana and contained a patty, egg, beetroot, tomato, lettuce, cheese, onions, tomato sauce (Wattie’s tomato sauce; very important), and mustard on a toasted bun… and tasted the most like “real food” of anything on their menu (IMO).

It’s great!(Though even fat as I am, I rarely get it.) And I have this whole mental thing I go through, “Hmmm. A cow, a chicken, and a pig died for this. If they could throw a fishstick in there, I’d utterly go to Vegan hell.”

I had a beetroot and egg burger in New Zealand not too long ago. The beetroot makes the burger a bit too sweet in my opinion, but it’s something you should try if you get that way. The egg on a burger has always been a favorite of mine.

Next time I’m at IHOP, I’ll ask if they have Ortega chilis. Those are perfect in burgers. Also in grilled cheese sandwiches. I’ll add a can to my shopping list.
Thanks for the reminder, Johnny. Funny how favorites can slip ones mind.

De nada. :slight_smile:

Okay, that’s two mentions of beetroot. I know what that, the veggie, is (beets is all) but I don’t know how yours is prepared for the burger. Pickled, I’ll bet. That would be yummy. I like pickled beets.
Please, don’t encourage McDonald’s to hang around in your habitat. :wink:

Yes, the beets are pickled. I’m not a big fan off Watties tomato sauce either. It looks like ketchup, but tastes like sweetened ketchup. In fact, if your ever in New Zealand, I strongly recommend bringing yourself a bottle of ketchup if it is allowed. Even the Heinz ketchup sold there isn’t quite right, and you have to have something to dip your chips in.

My sister has a fridge magnet that says “I like beetroot on my hamburger”, I think the gist of it is you’re not a true blue, ridgy didge, fair dinkum Aussie unless you do. Don’t care for it myself.

Egg on just about any burger is a bonus.

There used to be a restaurant here called Woodstock, and it had on its menu the Mad-Hatter Burger. This monstrosity came with everything but the kitchen sink: beef, egg, cheese, bacon, smokie links, sausage, you name it. It stood very tall on the plate, and I swear eating one kept me full for an entire 24 hours, and I’m a big guy. Mmmmmm. This was back in the 1980s when I lived up North, and a trip down to Bangkok was never complete without one of those.

As an added bonus, they had these big, comfy booths, a large-screen TV and a big video library. If you went in in the daytime, it was usually empty, and you could settle back after the burger and choose which videos to watch and sip beer the rest of the day into the evening. Man, I miss that place.

Wow, it IS a show with everything but Yul Brenner!

I am so sorry for that.

Used to be a place in NW DC called Stoney’s*, and they served a burger/egg sandwich which was dee-LISH. Pretty sure I only ordered it once because I knew my cholesterol would skyrocket, but it was worth it.

*They were due to close around New Year’s 2005; don’t know if they shut up shop for good or just moved somewhere else.

The Dirty O! I was only there a few times, and I’m sorry I never tried their burgers or dogs. Considering the condition I was in when I ate there, I guess good judgment wasn’t likely.

Mmmmm. . .shovelful of friessss.

Either of the two places I get burgers considers “one with the lot” a burger with bacon, egg, cheese and pineapple.

I’ve not been there but around here is Cassatt’s Kiwi Café.

Any places in Canada make these???

Sure, I could make it myself…but never as good as a restaurant.

And you Americans make it sound wickedly good :slight_smile:

The Australian fish-and-chip-shop hamburger with the lot will generally consist of:

• a toasted bun with cheese melted onto one side
  • minced beef that’s spent just less than too long out of the fridge
  • lettuce and tomato that have definitely spent too long out of the fridge
  • one or two slices of beetroot
  • fried onions
  • a fried egg
  • half a rasher of bacon
  • a ring of pineapple
  • tomato sauce (a much more savory product than American ketchup).

Naturally, the hard part comes from trying to time it so that the mince doesn’t have a large enough bacterial load to cause more than a couple of days of diarrhoea, but just enough to give it that extra tang.

I can’t quite understand what you’re trying to say here. :smiley:
(Nah, I kid, personal taste is just that, personal).

The Heinz ketchup you get here in sachets at, say, Burger King, is the US stuff imported, but if you buy a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the supermarket then I think it’ll be made in Australia, and the taste difference is likely to come from the use of sugar in place of high fructose corn syrup. That’ll be a taste difference in many things between the US and Australasia.

Yes, as WarmNPrickly said, pickled; sliced, and canned in brine (juice and pickling stuff), very nearly purple, and capable of staining almost anything. :slight_smile:

Bit late for that, McD’s has been in NZ since 1976, I think they’re here to stay.