Election Day [Week][Month[s]] [Year] 2020 follow-along thread

So sorry. I think I got fooled. Goddammit, and again my apologies.

I had just read Trump filed an action in Pennsylvania to get an injunction against mail-in votes. I was struggling to make sense of the mixed messages, but… I seriously jumped the gun.

Again, many apologies.

No worries.

Probably the MSNBC chyron operator having a laugh. :wink:

The interesting thing was that I immediately got fearful, not glad. Like it was some massive trick that was about to be perpetrated.

Yeah. It’s that feeling when you know something is deeply wrong but you can’t figure out what it is and are waiting for the shoe to drop.

Ah, OK.

Mentioning Jews in the context of conspiracy theories sets off my alarm systems, that’s all.

You’re right. Still, it’s a big signal that some in the Senate have had enough. I don’t think McConnell can’t count on their support as much as before.

Former Vice President Dan Quayle (who lost re-election with George HW Bush in 1992):

“You know, it’s tough in defeat. Unfortunately, we were the last incumbent president to lose, and it’s not easy,” he said. “But we’ve had enough time to look at what’s going on, there have been a lot of allegations they continue to investigate, but from my viewpoint, I don’t think there’s any systemic fraud. It’s time to move on, and therefore I hope that there’s some sort of announcement from the White House sooner rather than later.”

It was a successful “communications systems check” for me, that I didn’t go texting 10 people without pausing and verifying, so thanks, even though I so wish it were true! :slight_smile:

All I know about them is that they are every other ad on youtube for me.

For those who would like some help to get off the ledge, here’s an encouraging summary from the WaPo (non-paywalled election coverage)

Trump’s a big 0-for-5 in court

Awhile back, I read “The Fifth Risk.” The author says that normally, you’d expect the Presdent-elect to do what Biden is trying to do right now—start to transition. The new appointees get the baton from the guys who have been doing their job for the past four years, and it’s like a shift change—here’s the status quo, watch out for this, remember to do that, etc. Hopefully that way the government can continue smoothly, without missing a beat.

Only Trump and hs people didn’t know what they were doing and didn’t care.

(I swapped – for the two asterisks). More here:

The reviewer’s conclusion surprised me.

On the other hand Wikipedia says:

Anyway, a certain amount of Trump dragging his feet may come from stalling so the incoming people won’t realize and publicize that four years later Trump’s appointees still don’t know or care.

Or they may not be done plundering and pillaging just yet.

You all are being very kind, and I appreciate it. I feel like 2 cents waiting for change.

I’m not worried about Trump prevailing in his lawsuits, but I am worried about the Trump Cabal whipping up Teh Base while Republicans traitorously refuse to acknowledge what is true.

When I saw the misleading banner/Trump at podium, I had actually sat down to post this link:

I think it is very insightful on what we should in fact expect. Michael Cohen’s comments are particularly prescient.

Thanks again to all for being kind about my big bloof.

Here’s the court document:

Good point. If only simple reason could persuade everyone.

Sorry for the confusion, I made a new thread about what I fear this action implied:

Well, I read the first allegation about Forging ballots on the Qualified Voter List. All the proof provided was that he was not allowed to stand over the shoulder of the pollworker operating the pollbook.

I’ll read the other allegations later when I can bring my eyes into an un-rolled position.

Were you at least drunk? :upside_down_face:

Update from today’s counts:

Arizona
Biden’s margin is down to 15,432 with 76,292 votes remaining to be counted. Trump needs to win 60.3% of the remaining votes. If you look at the last 30k votes counted Trump has only averaged 55.7% but there are some counties where he can win by a much bigger margin. However Pima County still has a large number to count which should favour Biden (or least be more equal). It’s still in the balance but you wouldn’t want to bet against the President Elect.

Georgia
Biden has stretched his lead to a clear 11,414. I did say on Wednesday this would be a 10k win! It’s not clear how many votes are left to count but it’s probably not bigger than 20k. What remains are overseas military and provisional ballots.

Nevada
This has been called now by everyone. Biden’s margin is 36,186. For shits and giggles we can work out what Trump needs from the remaining 66k votes: 78%

North Carolina
Trump’s lead is 75,152. The last 30k votes have averaged 63.9% to Biden, however he needs 70.3% to overturn the lead and there are 187,459 votes left to count. A lot of those remaining votes do however come from urban areas like Orange County which have heavily favoured Biden. Nobody is suggesting Biden can win this but neither is anybody sure enough to call it. Biden will certainly close the gap.

Pennsylvania
Biden’s margin is 45,313 with 55,192 left to count. Trump needs a whopping 90.8% of the remaining votes or something dramatic in a courtroom.

Alaska
Trump has stretched his commanding lead with the first batch to be announced since election day. He won that batch with 58.9% of the votes taking his advantage to 54,598. There are 175,036 votes left to count and Biden needs 66.3% of them to win. All of them are mail in and absentee ballots. I have no idea about this one but nobody seems to be suggesting that Biden can get what it takes.

We already have one of those:

Do we know if this includes the sequestered late-arriving ballots? Last I heard that number was low (<5,000) and they were being “counted” but I’m not finding any info on whether they’re included in the count or whether there were more than that in the end.