Electric-Shaver Question

The wife just bought me my very first electric shaver. I recall my father using one way back when, but I just never bothered with one. Works well, but I’m wondering about the blades. Am I ever supposed to change those? There’s nothing about that in the instructions, just how to clean them.

The blades do wear out. Depends on how tough your beard is and and how often you shave. I can go a long time without changing them, and when I finally do get a new set, the difference is quite noticeable.

The covering of the blades can also wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. Especially the thin foil-like ones. Some models can replace either separately and some the covering only comes with new blades. So when you replace the blades, check to see if the covering needs to be replaced too.

You will also notice a variety of other options including replacing the whole head gizmo.

Look up your model on Amazon. But be careful, some blades are advertised for models they don’t fit. Double check with the manufacturers website.

If you have a cordless model, the rechargeable battery can go bad. On some models it takes soldering to replace them. I’ve had models where the shaver is dual power and won’t even work on AC if the battery is dead. Ugh. (Hence I prefer AC only models since I never shave away from power.) Anyhoo, the battery might be the limiting factor on your new razor.

Thanks. It’s a Philips AT750 “wet and dry” model. The review in the link says it can go two years before changing the blades.

I have a Remington 3-head model. I change the heads about once a year, and as ftg said, it makes a big difference.

I’ve used various Norelco / Philips rotary shavers for the past 30 years. Should change the heads every year; it’s probably more like every 2 (though I don’t have a heavy beard, which may help). Cleaning out the beard bits regularly also helps tremendously.

Thanks all. I’ll probably do a year’s rotation. Can’t hurt.

I’ll second that, although it’s worth noting that the heads generally cost the same even though the razors themselves range from low $30s to over $150. On a low end razor, it may make more sense to buy a whole new one.

And yes, there is a noticeable difference between the low-end and high-end razors.

Gentlemen, those aren’t blades, they are tiny little scaly Satan like hands that grab and rip each hair out one by one.

I think that’s what sold the wife on buying that particular model.

Ah.

:slight_smile: