electrtolysis question

i’ve been wondering, does gettin your hair zapped hurt, or even feel like much of anything? hoping some dopers may have had some work done and could clue me in, a friend is thinking about getting the hair on his head done so he doesnt have to keep shaving it and he was wondering how the process would feel.

Ask the girl who knows. It’s “touching the doorknob and getting an electric shock” painful, not “sliding down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol” painful, though.

Tell him to pluck a few of his head hairs with tweezers - it’s a similar feeling - very sensitive in some areas, no feeling at all in others.

The pain felt also depends on:

1. your average pain threshold and

2. the area to be done.

I can’t really comment on #1, since I have a high pain threshold. But your friend could have a lower threshold and if I said that it doesn’t hurt for me, that won’t mean it won’t hurt her.

As for #2, your skin is different depending which area of the body it’s from (i.e.: your skin is thinner in certain areas such as your bikini area, the inside of your elbows, your armpits, etc.). So I find electrolysis hurts more in those “thin skinned” areas.

I got it done on a few hairs under my chin and also on my upper lip, and it didn’t hurt too much. It is not a comfortable procedure however. No matter what your pain threshold might be, it still won’t be like getting a massage or a pedicure, ya know?

The results are worthwhile though. For small areas I find they are really good. I wouldn’t get my legs done only because it would take forever and expensive too. It’s $20 (Canadian) for about 20 minutes for me, and for my chin & lip thing I mentioned, it was about 4 or 5 visits. Also, between treatments you cannot pluck or shave or remove the hair (the electrolysis person must be able to see them!), so that would suck if you’re getting the bikini area or you pits done. Some people also have more of a reaction to the treatment. For me I’d be red and kind of swollen in that area for about 18 to 24 hours after the treatment.

If she wants to try, I am sure that most places would offer some sort of trial, like they could try it on a few hairs to see how she can take the pain and also how her skin reacts. Anyway, if a place won’t do that for her, she should find another place. Also look at laser removal… I found laser to be too expensive but then after my 4 or 5 electrolysis treatments, it would’ve been the same as paying more for 1 laser visit.

LBP

The pain felt also depends on:

1. your average pain threshold and

2. the area to be done.

I can’t really comment on #1, since I have a high pain threshold. But your friend could have a lower threshold and if I said that it doesn’t hurt for me, that won’t mean it won’t hurt her.

As for #2, your skin is different depending which area of the body it’s from (i.e.: your skin is thinner in certain areas such as your bikini area, the inside of your elbows, your armpits, etc.). So I find electrolysis hurts more in those “thin skinned” areas.

I got it done on a few hairs under my chin and also on my upper lip, and it didn’t hurt too much. It is not a comfortable procedure however. No matter what your pain threshold might be, it still won’t be like getting a massage or a pedicure, ya know?

The results are worthwhile though. For small areas I find they are really good. I wouldn’t get my legs done only because it would take forever and expensive too. It’s $20 (Canadian) for about 20 minutes for me, and for my chin & lip thing I mentioned, it was about 4 or 5 visits. Also, between treatments you cannot pluck or shave or remove the hair (the electrolysis person must be able to see them!), so that would suck if you’re getting the bikini area or you pits done. Some people also have more of a reaction to the treatment. For me I’d be red and kind of swollen in that area for about 18 to 24 hours after the treatment.

If she wants to try, I am sure that most places would offer some sort of trial, like they could try it on a few hairs to see how she can take the pain and also how her skin reacts. Anyway, if a place won’t do that for her, she should find another place. Also look at laser removal… I found laser to be too expensive initially but then after my 4 or 5 electrolysis treatments, it would’ve been the same as paying more for 1 laser visit. Anyway, some beatification fodder to ponder!

LBP