Embarrassingly famous pop culture that has passed you by...

I’m 23 and not only did the Facebook/MySpace/other social networking sites pass me by, when I finally did find out what it was all about - I thought it was among the most stupid and pointless wastes of time I had ever heard of. This is despite my love of most things internet.

I mean, seriously, Facebook? Come on. ‘Look at me, I’m on the interweb!’ It just seems to be there for the sake of being there.

I’ve yet to watch Lost, although I probably will at some point.

I had a facebook account for about three months but consistently failed to be convinced that it had a point so shut it down (Buckler of Swashing - you said it). Never had a myspace account either.

Never watched Buffy, despite legions of her fans telling me that I must.

Never seen the Godfather trilogy.

I’m 28

No, she isn’t the same person. Fergie. Duchess of York. :slight_smile:

But it would have been hilarious if she was. :smiley:

The movies are forgettable. The old TV show from the 60’s and 70’s was pretty darn good though (and had pretty much no relation to the movies other than the title.)

The movies are action films, the first including a dash of “heist film.”

The TV series was…sort of genre-less. It was its own genre. I suppose you could say that it was a heist TV show, but they aren’t usually robbing anything. They might be assigned to extract a person from the depths of the USSR, make a terrorist give up information on the location of a bomb, or frame some guy so that his own government inprisons him. But whatever they do, they do it with con-artistry, cunning, and patience and never use torture or guns or violent means to achieve their goal.

They have a lead planner, a front-man who’s an expert of disguise and impersonations, a front-woman who’s an expert of seduction and con-artistry, a mechanic/roboticist, and a strong-man. In the TV show, all of these characters is indispensible and only a part of the team. In the movies, there largely is no crew and it’s all just a one-man show of Tom Cruise and his ego, and all cleverness has been thrown to the wind.

Not to say that the TV show would be your thing, but it is quality work and quite enjoyable if you are the sort for it–and there’s nothing else out there that fills the same gap.

Most “reality” shows. (Kind of watched a couple of the PBS ones.) Lost. 24. Idol. Dancing. Buffy. 90210. Sat through all LOTRs with Mr. Lillith and thought I was going to die.

But here’s the embarrassing one: U2

I know they are wonderful–they have done great things in the world. But I have not a clue what even one of their songs sounds like. I’m sure I’ve heard them but I don’t identify them at all. And I seriously hate Bono’s glasses. They all have the same style and I HATE THEM ALL.

If South Park hasn’t completely passed you by, there is an episode that explains how Bono can do such wonderful things yet people think he’s a giant turd. He actualy IS a giant turd come to life and raised from birth as a human.

I’ve never seen any reality shows except Dateline: To Catch a Predator. Partially as a consequence I no longer use any social networking websites. :eek:

That’s one of the many that I’ve missed, but I haven’t missed it much. I deal with enough smarty pants, potty mouth kids who are my relatives, so I don’t need to see the show.

I’ve never seen a single episode of South Park. Likewise for American Idol. And I gave up on MTV when they apparently forgot what the ‘M’ was supposed to stand for.

I’m not against cartoons, 'cause I’ve seen lots of The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy and so on; I’m not against ‘reality’ TV, 'cause I love Mythbusters and Dancing with the Stars

I’ve never seen a single episode of American Idol, or Friends. I’ve never sat through an entire Seinfeld because it isn’t actually very funny.

You missed out the words “in my opinion” between “because” and “it”.

I like TV and movies, but I’m very picky. Never seen Survivor, or 99.5% of reality TV. No ER. No Gray’s Anatomy or Lost. No Deal or No Deal. No Mission Impossible movies. Somehow, never heard “My Humps” either. I’ve barely heard a Mariah Carey song, ever.

Tons more, if I had time…

Joe

I’ve never seen Family Guy. I’d probably love it given the descriptions and catchphrases, but it’s just too trendy right now. I hate having large crowds milling around in my head while I’m trying to be entertained (I waited till 2 years after Cheers went off before I started watching the reruns).

I could give a ratsass about any reality show.

I once watched 24 but only because I had a thing for Mary Lynn Rajskub.

I’m getting to be of an age where the things “kids these days” are into are escaping my notice. I assume from the large amount of folders and pencil packs and cereal boxes and whatnot that High School Musical was A Big Thing? I vaguely realize that someone **DiosaBellisima **(I think I spelled that wrong, sorry Diosa!) went to high school with is now a big star because of it, but that FOAF thing is seriously the only connection I have to it.

I’m at the point where I’m having to ask my kid if the band on Smallville this week is a real band or a fictional one. And what’s worse, I don’t really care.

I don’t understand this - how does the popularity of something stop you enjoying it? Or are you telepathically linked to everyone watching a show at the same time as you?

I’ve never played nor seen anyone play any of the following games:
Any of the Grand Theft Auto series
Any of The Sims series
Any of the World of Warcraft games
Any of the Halo games

I’ve never seen any of the hit HBO or Showtime shows from the past 18 years; Deadwood, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Rome, Entourage, etc.
I’ve actually never had HBO or Showtime.

I tried to start texting 10 years ago, because I was often in a meeting or classroom then, and you can’t take a phone call in that situation. I tried to get my colleagues to text me, but they had little concept of what it was. The problem was that, not only did they not understand it, but quite a few didn’t even have cell phones.

Now, it’s the students who are texting me, so much so that it’s sometimes annoying.

Something that has “passed me by” is boba tea. I just don’t like those things at the bottom of the cup.

Never watched American Idol or any other talent show.

I have the same habit with most popular shows that I never watch them until they go into syndication and have been off the air. Cheers, MASH, Seinfeld, Everyone Loves Raymond, King of Queens, etc.