ER: 04-01-04 (spoilers, I'm sure)

Okay, so what happened at the end? Did Carter rat Gallant out? Or was the chart sent upstairs to legal in preparation for the impending lawsuit?

Also, it’s really unfortunate that the only role Corday is playing anymore is that of slut.

I started tonight’s show wondering if she was even on the show anymore. I almost wish she wasn’t, if keeping her on means this is what her only storylines have become.

No, Carter didn’t rat him out. He stated the chart was correct to Weaver because if they corrected the mistake at that point and told Weaver what had happened, Gallant would be out on his ass for forging an order. It may come to light if the case goes forward, if they settle it may not come out.

Loved the look on Luka’s face at the end.

What happened with Susan? What was that guy doing to/with her? I think I heard a character say he was molesting her.

She agreed to let him touch her belly. He was way to into it, and asked her if she would pull up her shirt some. After telling him not to push his luck, he tried anyway. Skeevy.

Loved the raincoat guy. “Get him, girls! Get him good!” hehheh

Luka goes off and rents a big honkin’ RV and boat on a trailer for the birthday weekend. Apparently, the RV and boat rental place didn’t give him any instructions on how to back this rig out of the ambulance bay. :eek:

Since I missed the entire episode - I needed to go to bed early since that darn comprehensive exam is at 9 EST this morning, does anyone want to spoil the whole thing for me? TWoP doesn’t have anything up yet, so I can’t read that either.
Thanks.

Ditto that. Except I completely forgot it was a new episode last night and just plain didn’t watch. :frowning:

Very quick recap:

Attending meeting at the begining of the show, reviewing the Med Students to see who they should “match”. For the Bend it like Beckham student (I keep forgetting her character name) everyone but Carter thought she was bright but not aggressive enough. Weaver said that if Carter could convince the rest of the staff that she had the right stuff, they’d offer a match to her.

Carter (who is headed to Africa that night) tells her to act like a Dr, take initiative, push. She does well, but a patient comes in with great pain and Gallant (who should be signing off on all orders) was out of the room and she gives the patient Demerol w/o getting a full meds list. There’s a bad reaction to one of his meds and he eventually dies.

When Weaver asks what happened, Gallant takes the bullet and says he ordered the Demerol even though it is clear to Carter that he’s covering. But Gallant already signed the chart saying he ordered it, and if that comes out Gallant is screwed. He didn’t realize how much of a risk he was taking by forging the chart, Carter is pissed, but doesn’t want to make it worse by exposing the whole thing.

Sam’s son has a birthday coming up. After being unable to come up with any good ideas, Luka rents an RV and boat for a weekend in the woods. Alas, he has no idea how to back it out of the ambulance bay. Sam and the kid are thrilled with him.

Susan and Chuck meet a creep who is attracted to pregnant women and he hits on Susan. Chuck in turn, hits the creep. Creep threatens to bring in the cops unless he gets to touch Susan’s belly. Ooog, bleh. She lets him to get the cops off Chuck’s back, but she’s pissed at Chuck.

Deb’s dad is acting up, and the nurse who’d been taking care of her quits. Deb looks exasperated.

Luka has a patient with a son with Sickle Cell. The dad says that’s impossible, both parents need to have the gene and he doesn’t. It comes out that the kid isn’t biologically his, but he tells Luka that it doesn’t matter, the kid is his son. I think this was to highlight Luka and Sam’s kid.

After oodles of reruns, it’s understandable forgetting there was finally a new episode on. Grrrr@reruns!

I’m no TWOPer, but I’ll give it a try.

Carrie, Carter, Luka, Susan and Chen had a meeting discussing the various students strengths and weaknesses, and who’d be a possible good match for ER doctorin’ when they graduate soon. Consensus on Abby being competent but slightly insecure, I think they dissed the red-headed guy but can’t swear to it, and Carter championed Neela when everyone else thought her too passive and unsure. They all agreed she’s got the smarts, but worry that the chaotic nature of an ER placement mightn’t be best for her. Carrie challenged Carter to mentor Neela and show the rest of them what he sees in her.

Carter then pep-talked Neela on the floor, encouraging her to be more pro-active and ‘be a doctor’ today, juggling multiple patients and doing workups to diagnosis and treatment without presenting to an attending. Neela picks up on the dissing that happened with the other attendings, has a paranoia moment about Chen, and basically feels like a big useless boob. She and Gallant share a bonding moment in the bay where she discusses all the specialties she feels ill-suited for, wondering if she’ll end up in teaching or research and why she wanted to be a doctor to begin with. He encourages her, gives the peptalk about not getting too emotionally caught up etc. Cute moment between them, foreshadowing a possible future romance?

Big multi-victim vehicular trauma from a nursing home transport accident hits the ER, everyone’s busy and Neela’s charged with helping one particular guy who’s sorta altered or brain-damaged, he needs pain mgt but no one has a list of his current meds. She attempts to get the list from the nursing home, unsuccesfully, but does find a three week old record from his last hospitalization that reports a bad reaction to morphine, so she proactively chooses demerol and when Abby gets called out of the room pushes the painkiller herself. Bad move, he goes into crisis just before the med list is faxed over reporting he’s on an MAO-suppressor or something and the smelly stuff hits the proverbial fan. Gallant covers for her in the chaos, claiming to have given the order and amending the chart retroactively. She’s floored and appears conflicted, but stays quiet about it, Abby’s suspicious as well but says nothing. Patient winds up dying and Carrie’s trying to figure out what happened before Carter really has a chance to himself, he suspects what’s going on but backs up the Gallant ordered it theory to Carrie. Legal fallout sure to follow next week.

Abby tried girlfriending Elizabeth about her date with the surgeon, Corday reports it went ‘splendid’ and looks for a little validation that she’s not a skank for going out with the other guy a day later. (The one who’s daughter is pals with Emma, I think he’s a teacher?) Elizabeth resolves that she won’t be a sleazoid if she just dines with him but doesn’t sleep with him, that resolve didn’t last too long though, she falls… jumps into his arms at the end of the evening.

Sam is fretting about the brat’s birthday, Luka offers suggestion after suggestion about celebratory options, Sam bitchily shoots them down (although some were righteously lame, c’mon a clown for a twelve year old?) Undaunted, Luka perseveres, finding time during his shift to cook up a big surprise the demon child loves, renting an RV and boat for a camping weekend. Sam finally relents a bit and gives him props at the last minute, but dayum you’d think Ms.Independant was being flogged when someone tries to help…don’t bitch about stuff if you don’t want assistance.

Chen has a surprise visitor, one of the nurses she’s hired to care for her father shows up to quit because Dad’s just too difficult, not even giving enough notice for a replacement to be found. Sucks to be Chen.

Susan and Chuck go to grab a bite after their shifts, run into random creepy guy that starts a conversation with Suz about the glorious wonderment of pregnant women that quickly turns skeevy. Chuck evaluates, then correctly decks the guy, everyone troops back to the ER. Creepy guy is still running his mouth, Suz manipulates Chuck into apologizing to avoid charges being pressed, but Chuck winds up attacking the creep again. The wrath of Carrie is visited upon them, creepy guy turns out to be quite litigious, and finally Susan herself solves the issue by agreeing to let creepy guy lay his creepy head on her very pregnant belly. She’s so not loving Chuck right about now, poor guy.

Neela finds Gallant sitting morosely with the mis-medicated patient’s corpse, tells him “that was the sweetest, most dumb thing anyone’s ever done for me” and he confesses that earlier in the bay he’d been thinking of asking her out. She tearfully tells him she’d been thinking of saying yes, then flees to the med lockup to sob, snapping at Chuney when she happens to bop thru.

Carter’s waiting to catch his cab to the airport back to Kem in Africa, he ambushes Gallant on his way out with the “I know” infobomb, Gallant had gallantly tried to take the bullet for Neela figuring he’d merely be disciplined while her entire career could be trashed, but Carter reminds him that falsifying a chart is a felony. Gallant panics a bit, casting about for ways to remedy the situation, but since it’s already in the hands of the Legal department there’s not much to be done but hope it all goes quietly away.

Awww moment with Luka treating a young kid who winds up having sickle cell anemia, despite his very concerned Dad’s protestations that he was genetically tested and is sure that can’t be it as he’s not a carrier. Luka does more bloodwork, confirming the diagnosis and Dad decides that despite some trouble in his marriage shortly before the child was conceived, it doesn’t matter and he’ll just tell Mom he’s a carrier. Nice shot of Luka being ‘the good doc’ as opposed to his ‘frustrated with the bureacracy doc’ again.

Whew!

Yeah, what Telemark said.

And the look he gave the flasher when he said, “So, are you a sports fan?”

Luka? happy? Could it be possible?

Just a point to add to the recaps: Neela confesses to Carter right away that Gallant is lying to protect her and Carter says, “ok, we will talk about this later.” But then in a meeting with Weaver, Carter, et al, Gallant again stresses that he was the one who gave the order. Carter, now on the spot (knowing the chart is falsified), says he doesn’t really remember what happened. (I’m just adding this in so that Neela doesn’t look like a complete jerk for letting Gallant cover for her.) At this point, I think that if she tells Weaver the truth, she is worried about getting Gallant into more trouble.

Funny line: when Luka suggests a magician for Alex’s birthday, Sam says, "for his last birthday he wanted a pig embryo. I don’t know if a magician would work . . "

And the first doctor they were discussing during matches was Lester, the blondish-brown dorky guy. The didn’t mention Dr. Morris. One assumes he isn’t in the running? And what about Coop? We loved him!!

I got the impression we were coming in on the middle of the discussion and those two had already been covered.

Weren’t they discussing med students? Dr. Morris is already a doctor. He’s an intern, right?

So many little things bothered me about this episode! Gallant “taking the fall” for Neela, then claiming later (w/Carter) not to have realized that he committed a felony by changing the chart?! Come on, geeze! Neela pushing the demerol w/o getting the med list?! Argh! The creep who wanted to feel Susan’s belly really gave me the … well, the creeps, though! Why was this guy allowed to threaten the hospital, Chuck and -get away with it-!!! He was the one who had the problem–and he ended up being “allowed” to indulge his sick fantasy! IMHO, Chuck was exactly right to have decked him, did -not- need to apologize for doing so, and that creep is the one who should have been threatened with a lawsuit. Not to mention being put in the psych ward. GAH! That really pissed me off–he was as bad as the flasher! At least they let the girls beat that flasher up … taken from a slice of RL, btw–in Philly a few months ago, some Catholic school girls beat up a creep who had been flashing them!

I haven’t been watching religiously because of the reruns and boredom with the cast, but when did Susan get so pregnant? It seems like only a few weeks ago she just discovered she was pregnant and now she’s about 8 months along. Did they explain this at some point?

And it seems to me that if a lot of time had passed that Kem would have had her baby by now.

Sherry Stringfield is pregnant IRL so I suppose they are just going with the stomach she has. I do think they should have started the pregnant storyline a bit earlier. Not sure when either “Susan” or Sherry is due.

IIRC, Kem was in the early stages of pregnancy at Christmas so I don’t think she should be more than 6 mos or so. Again, no word on when Baby Carter is set to arrive.

Even though I cheered when Chuck decked the guy, I disagree with this. IIRC, the guy had not actually touched Susan yet, or been physically threatening; he was just asking to touch her belly (yes, in an increasingly creepy way). The nonviolent (and, IMHO, more rational) solution would have been for Chuck to put his arm around her, steer her away from the guy, and leave. Sadly, I think the law would have been on the creep’s side.

It might have been nice to know how much time actually elapsed between when Neela gave the Demerol and when the meds list came in from the nursing home. The guy was clearly in pain, and the meds list had only just come in when he had the reaction. The nursing home was being quite deliberately unhelpful. Indeed, from the side of the conversation that we heard, it sounded like they were not going to send the list over at all. Neela made a mistake, but she may not have been wrong, insofar as they had a patient in serious pain, they knew enough to know that morphine was not going to work, and they had no idea when, if ever, a complete medication list was going to come over.