Etiquette- peeing at night, to flush or nnot?

In a hotel room, absolutely flush. At home, that’s your prerogative. I’m big on flushing, but I also don’t pay for water in my building. I just don’t like to see or smell old urine in the toilet when I get up in the morning, and I don’t think Unsquare Dude does either. However, if I paid for all the water I’m wastefully flushing, I’d probably reconsider.

When I lived at home, I didn’t flush at night because my parents’ bedroom was right across the hall. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to wake them up, but because my dad could hear and keep track of how many times a night I had to pee. After all, alcohol is a diuretic… :smack:

Nowadays, I flush because I don’t want my kitty to drink from the bowl and get a mouth full of piss.

Wste is waste, even if appears to be free. In actuality it is not free, the overhead will be part of everyones bill.

We don’t flush at night - it wakes the kids. Neither of the kids flush every time, either. So I guess we’re doing our part to conserve water.

OK. Good username post combo.

And I see where your coming from. When there are guests in my house or when I’m at my mothers house, I always flush. Just not so much at home.

We don’t, because the toilet backs up against the wall where my son’s bed is…on the other side…oh, you know. He’s a very light sleeper, and we have a loud, cranky well system.

Well, that would sort of defeat her water-saving goal, wouldn’t it? And it is her house, after all, so even if I think she’s a little goofy, I try to respect her wishes, even in regard to toileting matters.

Dear god. Flush. It’s disgusting to leave waste in the toilet. Even if it’s well-hyrated, clear pee, the john will still likely smell like a rest stop by morning.

If you’re comfortable enough with you hotel or room mates, you could always just ask them. If you don’t know them that well, then flushing is probably the safest bet.

I suffer from insomnia and have a pee jar by my bed, which I almost always use at least once every night. My partner has one now too, for laziness/convenience since she doesn’t suffer from sleeplessness.

Hey, whatever works! There are many ways to live life, and everybody has different boundaries. Communication is the key.

Isn’t there the issue of stumbling around, knocking it over, having poor middle-of-the-night aim? Especially for a girl? I have enough trouble pissing in the urine sample jar, held over the toilet. It gets on my hand and usually some of it goes down the side of the jar. Help me understand how this works! :slight_smile:

The bigger the jar and wider the mouth, the better. Place entire unit inside jar. A towel placed on the floor catches any spare drips. Females can squat and hold the container up to themselves. When finished, place jar in close but safe location so as not to accidentally disturb it. In the past 2 years I’ve done this, never once have I spilled the jar.

Incidentally, it’s amazing how much urine the bladder can hold, especially after a night of drinking. Sorry if this it TMI!

The whole point for the insomniac is to get the deed done asap and hopefully fall back asleep with minimal disturbance. In my case, getting up, stumbling to the bathroom, flipping on the light, peeing, flushing the toilet, etc., etc. is enough to wake up my brain and make it difficult to fall back asleep. Thus the maverick solution.

Plus, not flushing doesn’t disturb other light sleepers… and saves a few thousand gallons of perfectly good water each year.

Thanks, I get your reasoning, but I still don’t get your partner’s “laziness.” My god, it seems like SO much more trouble to pee in a jar in the dark than to just get up and go to the bathroom!