Euro 2020 (in 2021)

Just imagine that Messi could have chosen to play for Spain if he had wanted. Had he done so, nobody would doubt that he is bigger than Maradona, not even in Argentina. Argentinians would hate him though.

The Belgians were good again tonight: 9 points out of 9, today it was hard work, but it was nice to watch.

That would be the least Maradonian move possible, he would definitively not be bigger than Maradona had he done that, he would be infinitely less than Diego.

Would he? He has lived in Spain since he was 12, he has got the Spanish nationality, which is perfectly legal, and he could have easily won at least one, perhaps two World Cups and two, perhaps more European Cups. What is unmaradonian there?
Fact is, the Argentinian Football Assotiation realized faster than the Spanish FA that Messi was a great one, so they hastily organised a friendly match agains Hungary (if my memory serves me right), so that he could get his first international match with them at the age of 17. According to the rules, when you play for one country you cannot play for another one ever (with few exceptions), so they got him as soon has he agreed to play for them. Then he was sent off with a red card in the very first minute of the game. I felt right there that that was ominous and still feel today that he could have had a much bigger international career had he chosen Spain.
This, of course, is only an opinion based merely on speculation. But what would have been unmaradonian about this move beats me (except if you mean that it would have been intelligent :wink:). Of course, you are Argentinian, I am half Spanish. Our judgement may not be completely objective.

I don’t know about yours but mine certainly isn’t! Objectivity? in Football? where’s the fun in that?.
The move would be unmaradonian because Maradona was known for his devotion for “la selección”, Messi deciding (and he certainily had the choice, no matter the wishes and actions of the AFA) to play for Spain would’ve been considered high treason by El Diego.

Oh, Scotland.

It was nice while it lasted, but scoring one goal in 270 minutes of play is not the way to progress

England very minimalist, 7 points with a total score of 2-0 goals. The second half today was as bad as the whole match against Scotland. England had very good first 20 minutes, but the rest was rather disappointing.

ETA: Wow, what a wonderful goal by Modric! Just saw it now.

At first it looked like Spain was unable to score a goal even from the penalty spot, but after the Slovakian goalie put the ball in his own goal (how did he do it?) they ended scoring 5 in total. Including a second own goal by a Slovakian defender.
For the record, this is the fifth penalty kick Spain has missed in a row.
Sweden won in the end, so they end the well deserved first of this group, and Poland is out.
And now Germany vs Hungary. If it gets too boring, I can always switch to France vs Portugal.

Hungary was this close >< to a revenge for 1954 against Germany. My nerves!

ETA: and now against England in Wembley. To appeal to history again, some bad and some good memories. The bad one in 1966 was before my time.

The England - Germany winner seems to have a relatively easy road to the final, versus the other side of the bracket. Defending champ Portugal, which finished ahead of Germany (although were demolished by them), will likely have to get past a murderer’s row of top teams.

Germany finished ahead of Portugal.

The only other big gun in that bracket are the Netherlands. First Germany-England and later Germany-Netherlands in the semi-finals would make for two great all-time classics.

Oh crap. Forgot that head-to-head is the first tie-breaker. Thanks

Not sure how much interest there would be in a Copa America thread, so y’all should check out the Luis Diaz goal for Colombia vs. Brazil I just witnessed.

AHEM, England-Netherlands, please.

Ok ok, my hopes aren’t high but I can dream. Either way, England V Germany is always an ulcer-inducing watch. Good times.

Been playing catch-up with the backlog of PVR’d matches, and accordingly avoiding this thread IRT spoilers.
Surprised no comments on Portugal/France, not that it was the most stand-out game, but did feature what I thought was the save of the tournament so far: Patricio stoppng Pogba.
My utmost, sincere apologies about the music. I’m sorry. Just put the volume on low.

Well, looks like either Denmark or Czech Republic will have 1 of the semi+final slots, leaving only 3 for the big boys. That England-Germany game is looking even more like the easy path to the Final.

My tip is that England beat Germany and then go out to Sweden in the next round. And we’ll get a Scandi-semi.

I’ve had one of those before when I met a Swedish girl in a bar Vietnam in 2004.

Yeah, that would explain it.
BTW, weren’t you the one with the prophetic gift?

Just beat Portugal with a lot of suffering and two injuries: De Bruine and Eden Hazard. That could hurt.

If KDB is done for the tournament I think Belgium are in big trouble.

The ref let way too much go in that game, IMO. probably should have been like 4 more yellows. I could see Pepe getting a straight red as well, but I don’t think that foul was clear cut.

Is Pyrrhus of Epirus managing the Belgians?