Ever have anyone show up unforgivably early?

I don’t get it. If you follow the weight-to-cooking time chart on the outside of the turkey, you will always get it right. We’ve never had one go wrong.

I don’t get it. If you follow the weight-to-cooking time chart on the outside of the turkey, you will always get it right. We’ve never had one go wrong.

Same here; I’ve never seen a turkey be off by that much time.

I had a coworker of my husband’s show up hours early to a party, but I had an idea he might do this. Fortunately the party was being held outside in good weather so I parked him out there with beer and told him to hang tight.

I do often care if people are early. Maybe I haven’t scooped the ferrets’ litter box yet, and trust me, a stench like that can ruin appetites. Maybe I’m not showered yet for the day or dressed, and yes, I care about that. Maybe I have yet to vacuum. Maybe my house is a totally disorganized pit with clutter everywhere and I was counting on those extra hours to whip it into shape, and having people in my tiny little house makes it damned near impossible to get anything done with them in the way.

I don’t have kids, and that’s intentional, so yes, I am used to some quiet time.

I absolutely hate being late to things so I typically give myself too much time to get there. This results in me showing up to the area of the event about a half hour early.

I usually find some out of the way place to park for a while and read (I’m never without a book) until I can show up ‘on time’.

I don’t mind 15 minutes early. An hour is pretty annoying, anything more is utterly ridiculous.

There is a couple in our class at church that shows up obnoxiously early to everything. They don’t have much to do, so everything is a big event. Honestly, they really want to help, but they’re quite limited mentally and require some supervision, so when you’re running around trying to get everything ready, they’re not much actual help. I try to be ready very early when I’m having guests (especially if they’re included), but I once resorted to sticking a movie in for them while I dried my hair and finished appetizers. They were delighted.

Mr. Stuff had a clingy friend, who has since thankthedearlord moved away. When Mr. Stuff would have a barbecue set to start at, say, 4:00 PM, this guy would show up at 8:30 in the morning, and hang around all day, “helping”. Words fail me.

This is me, only it’s the cat’s litterbox and the house isn’t tiny, although it’s plenty crowded. If you turn up more than fifteen minutes early, you’ll have to lift your feet so I can vacuum under them, and if you’re even ten minutes early, you’re likely to catch me winding up the vacuum cord or dragging it back to the closet.

Heh. It sounds like you’re blessed with good people around you. Screw the serving times.

Merry Christmas!

I remember my ex-wife friend showing up for Thanksgiving. We had told her to show up at 12 noon. We were planning to eat at 200 pm, she had been told this but did not consider that it was worth remembering. She arrived at 11:55 am and was aghast that the meal wasn’t ready. Apparently she was under the impression that the food would be on the table at 12 noon sharp, after all, everyone knows that you’re supposed to eat the Thanksgiving meal at 12 noon and that’s that. The funny thing was that she would not shut up about it. Complaining and criticizing my wife and I until I told her to “Get the hell out of my kitchen and let me finish.” She went into the dining room in a huff and set the table! And it’s not like hunger was a problem as there were appetizers set out.

I was helping my friend throw a surprise engagement party for her brother and his fiancee. The brother lured his girlfriend out to propose, and we set up the party while he was proposing. So he was supposed to bring her back to the house so she could show my friend the ring; she didn’t know that her family and friends would be gathered for the party.

So the invites went out, and people were told they were welcome at 6, but to be there before 7:30 when the happy couple was expected. At 5:30, the fiancee’s parents and brother show up. Now the invites were clear about when the couple were showing up, so there was no excuse for this. And we’re still running around setting things up for the party.

My philosophy, of course, is that if you show up early, it means you get to help. I’m setting out champagne flutes, and I ask the brother to help me carry a box of glasses to the other room. He said, “This is my sister’s party; I’m not here to work.” My friend, who was (a) hosting and (b) the sister of the groom, didn’t hear him and his charming philosophy about how relatives of the guests of honor shouldn’t have to lift a finger; she was too busy cooking and supervising the set up of the whole party. I said, “Since your sister won’t be here for another two hours, I don’t think it’ll kill you to carry a box for 30 seconds.” Hey, he’s not gonna be my relative, so what do I care for politeness? :slight_smile:

His mother, sweet lady that she was, immediately pitched in to help. But he remained an ass for the rest of the evening.

That was kind of presumptuous, wasn’t it? What if she said no?

Well, either most “surprise” engagement-throwers either have a really damned good idea that the surprised one will say yes (often to the point of discussing getting married previously), or else you roll the dice and take your chances. :smiley:

(Using the party as a way to “convince” someone who’s reluctant is obviously a really bad idea. A friend told me about a friend of his who was ambushed on one of those talk shows; he was lied to and told it was something more innocuous, but the surprise was a “marry me now, dammit” confrontation. Apparently they re-filmed his reaction as the initial one was more suited for Jerry Springer, with lots of swearing and “I told you I didn’t want to get married”; the reshoot showed a “I’m not sure this is the right time, but let’s discuss it” talk.)

That’s what I said! But everyone was pretty convinced that she’d say yes, including her parents, who flew in from Colorado for the party.

But, yeah, I was ready to turn the engagement party into a commiseration party.

One time early in our marriage my entire family descended on our house for a Sunday afternoon exactly one hour early. Didn’t take too long for us to remember that we had forgotten to set out clocks forward that night!
My family is of the tradition that if we are running early, we’ll circle the block until the appointed hour. My wife’s influence is that for most occasions it is generally better to show up 10 minutes late instead of right on time.
But if someone shows up early, I’m pretty much of the “kick back, get something to drink, and amuse yourself” school of thought. More annoying in my MIL who will come early, and then follow us around saying, “Is there anything I can do to help?” Yeah, get back in your car and return at the time for which you were invited."