Ever listen to a song and notice it mirrors your life? If so which one>?

Mostly the ones I compose myself. Like this tune:

Somewhere In Time[sup]©[/sup]

Somewhere in time my love.
I know you’re there somewhere, somehow.
Someday I’ll find you love,
if you’ll allow …

Please come in time my love,
I’ve waited so long here until now.
Don’t be unkind my love,
this heart I’ll vow.

You are so far away,
these broken wings no longer fly.
No angel sings to me,
each night I cry.

And still I wait for you,
each empty day turns into night
No passing fancy for,
my heart’s delight.

So many times I dream,
the curtain of night sets the stage.
For lonely fantasy,
on an empty page …

I dip my pen in tears,
and slowly trace this sad refrain
From sorrow’s copybook,
of endless pain.

Somewhere in time my love.
I know you’re there somewhere, somehow.
Someday I’ll find you love,
if you’ll allow…

Please come in time my love,
I’ve waited so long here until now.
Don’t be unkind my love,
this heart I’ll vow.

A couple years ago, when my wife and I were going through a difficult time, I happened to hear Peter Gabriel’s Secret World. I had heard it before, but it never seemed so close as it did on that day. Though (thankfully) those troubled times are long-passed, I still feel a remarkable affinity for that song. It’s become my favorite Peter Gabriel song, because I found that he captured something so perfectly in it.

“What a Good Boy” by Barenaked Ladies hit me really hard a few years ago.

A brief psychoanalysis of myself… Cover Me / Candlebox

When I was about thirty, I heard the song Secret Gardens by Judy Collins for the first time. I put my head down and bawled like a kid. Still can’t hear it without crying.

All of the lyrics can be founds here:

http://www.judycollins.com/lyrics/Secret_Gardens.htm

Here are just a couple of snips:

“I Am, I Feel”, by Alisha’s Attic - kind of sums up me a few years ago

<snip>

Reminds me of the times with an ex-boyfriend, where he tried to control what I wore, what I did, who I went out with etc etc.

Oh, and the Bangles’ Manic Monday - practically every day!

There’s a couple more, but they’re in Hindi, so you’ve probably never heard of them!

Pretty much any song on “Jagged Little Pill” by Alanis Morrissette, but especially “Not the Doctor” as I always seem to attract men who expect me to fix them!
“This Year’s Love” by David Gray, because no matter how many bad relationships I have I remain convinced that the next one will be the one that’s worth the heartache.
And at the minute, one by The Lighthouse Family - the name escapes me at the minute, but one verse in particular:
“Remember as a girl, you had a picture of the world,
And you’d think of all the great things you would find.
But the truth is 9 to 5, and the struggle to survive,
Ain’t exactly what you had in mind”.

is so true to my life that it’s really depressing.

I don’t know how the Eagles wrote “Desperato” without knowing me.

Superhero by Ani Difranco

Mainly the idea that love can be this destabilizing, even depowering force in one’s life.

CHORUS

also:

“Wasted Away in Margaritaville” :smiley:

ALL OF THEM

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Phlosphr *
**I was on my way to school this morning and right as I pulled into the parking lot Bob Seger kicked on the radio with Turn the Page and I noticed that it mirrored a time in my life when I was on the road a lot.

Whoa, That song was on my mind a lot when I was in Arizona too. I had pretty much lost hope of ever getting over my emotional problems and was just focused on getting through the days. It’s gotten a lot better since then but i can still remember staring up at that dead empty sky.
Hmm, too angsty?

I didn’t hear the song until years after, but Face of Melinda by Opeth really reminds me of a specific time in high school. Particularly this part:

I actually cried the first time I heard those lyrics.

Not sure; is there a song called “Man, I am such an idiot sometimes”?

“You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon.

You bet I think this song’s about ME. :smiley:

On a more serious note, “My Back Pages,” by Bob Dylan.

“I was so much older then.
I’m younger than that now.”

I’ve never worried too much about the rest of the bizarre imagery in that song, but that chorus line describes me to a ‘T’. And I prefer the '92 tribute version by George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn et al, because they livened it up a lot.

Not so much anymore, but for a while Liz Phair’s “Canary” summed up my life in two lines:

“I write with a number two pencil
I work up to my potential”

It’s still one of my favorite songs.

“History Is Made By Stupid People” by the Arrogant Worms?

For me, a lot of songs sum up phases of my life.

I’ll take “Only Happy When It Rains” by Garbage for the teen years, though.

Annie, by Our Lady Peace. That song stunned me the first time I heard it, and all these memories come back when I think about it, not that I want to remember them…
http://www.lyricsdir.com/o/our-lady-peace/annie.php

Yeah…I had a really bad time for most of school…depressed and suicidal at ten is not good…thank goodness stuff got better eventually…or maybe I’m just used to it now…

May I contribute a song that reminds me of someone else? Thief, by the same band. I can’t listen to that without crying…my sister died of a brain tumor at nine, after living with severe cerebral palsy, and that song was what I had them play at her funeral…

Is There Life Out There?–Reba Mc Entire

*She married when she was 20, she thought she was ready.
Now she’s not so sure. She thought she’d done some livin’, now she’s just wonderin’ what she’s livin’ for.
And she’s feeling that there’s something more.

Is there life out there?
So much she hasn’t done?
Is there life beyond her family and her home?
She’s done what she should, should she do what she dares?
She doesn’t wanna leave, she’s just wonderin is there life out there?*

MetalMaven

I’ll also have to second that Garbage song for a huge portion of my life. The only time i felt in tune with everything was when circumstances were miserable.