Every single word of this (song, story, etc) is bullcrap. You still love it.

Have you ever listened to a song, read a story, or watched a drama and walked away with conflicting emotional & intellectual reactions? Well, then this is the thread for you.

Recently I happened to come across a song I remember from the 80s: “Graverobber,” by the Christian rock band Petra. As you might guess, the song is about the promise of resurrection; the band’s name is an reference to Christ’s charge to St. Peter, and the title alludes to a verse from the Bible I am too lazy to look up.

I do not believe in immortality or resurrection. In fact, I’ll go further than that; I think believing in life after death is a positively bad thing, apt to cause people to neglect ways of dealing with real (read: material) problems in favor of a fantasy that will never come to pass. But nonetheless I simply love this song. And not because it reminds me of my childhood; I just think it rocks.

Anyway…that’s just me. What about the rest of you?

*Hook *by Blues Traveler

You know what would be nice? Details. :smiley:

I make a point of never paying much attention to a song’s lyrics (songs are music, i.e. sound, not storytelling) so for years I kinda of liked Skynard’s Mr Saturday Night Special (or whatever its called). I’m no fan of southern rock but the song had a nice hard rock sound to it.

Only a year or so ago my brother pointed out to me how the song’s lyrics are actually a whiny, wimpy, anti-handgun diatribe! Doubly surprising coming from a bunch of good ole’ boys!

Yeah, a lot of Petra falls in that, neh? I was considering naming something by C.S. Lewis, but I don’t think the works of his I like are utter unadulterated crap. (Specifically, I largely agree with the bits of “The Case for Christianity” that aren’t claiming Christianity is THE TRUTH. So it’s not what you want.)

I thought of CS Lewis when I began the thread. Specifically I was thinking of the sixth installment of the Chronicles of Narnia, The Magician’s Nephew. It’s always bothered me that Digory’s mother gets magically healed; after Aslan’s explanation of how healing is not always best, that seemed a wish-fulfillment copout. But I still love the book and find it especially comforting.

It’s a song about lyrics not mattering if the song sounds good (which it does).

Link

“Happy Together”. The lyrics are pure teen puppy-love about how being in love will make everything perfect forever. And yet it’s a great song!

And the Beatles are in a category of their own for making great, memorable songs about absolutely nothing whatsoever. I mean seriously, what is there to “Paperback Writer” or “Lovely Rita Meter Maid”?

Those two songs I would argue are about something; they’re just little vignettes of people’s lives. The Beatles certainly did write some songs that were a bit BS-y, like “Love You To”, which I remember thinking was so deep when I was 10 years old, and which remain fantastic songs.

My real answer to this question though is probably one of my favorite bands, who I’ve probably mentioned a few times around here, the Manic Street Preachers. Their first few albums, back when Richey Edwards was their lyricist, have some pretty strong political standpoints, a little too leftist even for me. I’d nominate Another Invented Disease for number one, as it appears to be positing that first world governments spread drugs and mindless television programming (and AIDS? the title certainly alludes to that) in order to keep down the common man. Still a great rock-out tune.

PB Writer is my #1 favorite Beatles song. And yes - it really has no point.

And now even paperback writers have their own band.

The song “Jolene” by Dolly Parton. My god, if those lyrics were sung by anyone else I would want to commit murder. Whiny girl pleads with a beautiful bitch to not take her man, because the beautiful bitch can get any man she wants, while whiny girl thinks she could never do any better than the asshole who wants the beautiful bitch. ARGH!!!

However, I think it’s one of the greatest songs ever written, it was written by the great Dolly Parton, and it’s sung by the great Dolly Parton, so I LOVE THE HELL OUT OF IT!

Better not listen to the White Stripes’ cover of it, then, even though it’s AWESOME. It starts out a little jokey, then you see Jack is dead serious.

**Fight Club. **Even though it’s my #4 favorite movie.

If you’re a healthy, middle-class white American male, you’ve won life’s lottery.

The way the film casts these guys (guy’s like me) as victims of time and fate is craptastic. I find it funny as hell.

“Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives.” :rolleyes:

Beavis and Butthead Do America. I know it’s an over-the-top cartoon, but I still love it.

Oh, and “The Rain, The Park and Other Things” by the Cowsills. “I saw her sitting in the rain…then she smiled at me…blah blah…and then she made me happy (happy) (HAPPY)…flowers in her hair, flowers everywhere…” Such a happy, dreamy, peppy little number. If I was sitting in the park in the rain with flowers in my hair, would someone come along and fall in love with me?? I think not. … maybe dude is hallucinating.

I thought the whole point of Fight Club is that Tyler’s ramblings seem awesome and fun on the surface but actually were horrible things that led to terrorism and violence and…well, mayhem. That he’s basically a charismatic demagogue and that we shouldn’t mindlessly listen to people like that.

Neal Morse, the former front man of Spock’s Beard, became a born-again Christian and, in 2002, left the band because “God told him to pursue a solo career.” :rolleyes: He’d done two solo albums before leaving the band; the first was ok-to-good, the second… not so much. I figured he was going to produce crappy Christian music from then on, and it wouldn’t be worth following him.

A couple of years later I decided to give him another shot, and picked up his fourth album, One. I was apprehensive about listening to it… I was afraid that even if the music was good, I wouldn’t be able to get past the lyrical content.

Boy, was I ever wrong. I now consider One to be one (heh) of the best albums of the decade. I even sing along when I listen to it - even though the lyrics are all crappy nonsense about what a great guy God is.

Ha ha I couldn’t agree more. When I was 15 my angsty self mildly identified with Tyler. My current self couldn’t agree more with the won life’s lottery line. I was 19 before I realized that beating someone up didn’t make me a “real man.” That was when I realized that paying someone else to deliver the beating for me was the way to go. Anybody can sucker punch their enemy with a rock. Paying a group of guys to deliver the beating for you, you know what that’s called? Leadership.
I still think Fight Club is a really cool and entertaining movie though.

Billy Joel’s “The Ballad of Billy the Kid”. He’s admitted several times he just made everything up for that song, like “He started with a bank in Colorado”, which isn’t true because BtK never robbed a bank. Joel also sings, “And the cowboys and their kin/Like the sea came pourin’ in/To watch the hangin’ of Billy the Kid” which of course isn’t true because BtK was shot. And my favorite line, “And his daring life of crime/Made him a legend in his time/East and west of the Rio Grande”. The Rio Grande runs east and west. :stuck_out_tongue:

Paperback writer is a brilliant song. Its recursive - the main character wants to be a paperback writer and hes writing a story about a man - who wants to be a paperback writer. And the song`s harmonies are sung in rounds - which makes them sound recursive, like a song within a song, singing about a story within a story. The end has the harmony and lead parts bouncing off each other - like the main character and the character in his story.

I suspect the brilliance of this song goes unappreciated by most people.